ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help ASAP TDS is shooting sky high

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Default Re: Please Help ASAP TDS is shooting sky high

Thanks for a quick response Ryan. I did not know RO unit will cause that much trouble. I probably have to age my water then. It seem to me that is an easy way to do. Thanks for all the help from you guys. By the way discus are still stress and have not eat but they are move around little bit more than yesterday

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

What you guys think if I age my water then could my TDS level back to normal or should I get a RO unit?
    I need to know which way is the best way to do. Thanks

age water doesn't low TDS, but RO does

My water has TDS over 300, but my discus don't have problem, even with breeding pair, I only mix RO water for pair has low hatching rate
    Ryan

Josh:

Before you decide to go with RO, bring your water sample to Petco/Petsmart and ask them to test for akalinity/GH. Do you use water changer such as Python?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Yes. I am using python hook directly to my tap faucet. I been doing this for months now I never came across anything like this unti now. So aging water is not going to help to resolve my problem. Using RO unit just waste too much water
    Now I really don't know what to do but if I decide to go with RO I will get my water test . thanks guys

To tell you the truth, I bought Python and Aqueon water changer and returned them to the stores both times because my fish don't like the bubbles, even my flowerhorn, very hardy fish went darting and hiding in the tank after WC. That was the end of water changers. Now I'm back with bucket by bucket LOL.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

I probably have to go the same but I read online it's said that hot water seem to increas the hardnes in the water so I will try to do another wc when I get home tonight and just use cold to warm water and see anything different. I heard that flowerhorne is so aggressive but also beauty. I'm always want to get one. Thanks for your advice

Registered Member

Josh, are you using city water ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Hey Eric I just pm you. Yes I am using city water

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

PP gbr

Buckets get old fast. Lol. I recently bought some brute containers and a cheap pond pump. Python for out. Pond pump aged water back in. So much easier on my back.

You can get the pond pump and hose from harbor freight for about 50 bucks. Each brute container was also about 50 bucks from home depot. Good investments.
    Discus drive me crazy.

Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

You are right. The bucket does get old fast but I guess in my situation right now I will do anything to help my discus. I hope PP GBR doesn't have too many tanks because it might take awhile to fill it up LOL

Josh

Trust me, I do not have as many as others but enough to kill my elbows. I'm having tennis elbow as we speak. Do you have room for a Brute can to age your water? I only age water for discus tanks overnight but other tanks I only age (wait) 1-2hrs for the bubbles to disappear before refilling the tank, and I do it in 5 gal buckets in the bathtub.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking about doing that too but at the same time I do not want to recoil the long hose. I have tanks on the first floor and basement.

Josh the one thing I don't see here is if you checked with your local community to see if they changed something in the water source? Sometimes they add something to the water in the springtime. I would call them, then, test your water before entering the tank.

You also have to be careful that they are not flushing out your fire hydrants. This can add a lot of nasty things to your water. I know, happened without my knowledge last fall. Now before using any tap water, I let it run for a few minutes to observe the color of the water. Then I fill a glass and check that too along with testing.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

J

Until you figure out what's going with your tap water, hold off on feeding them with BH, feed them with pellets/flakes/or something will not foul the water and you could skip wc for a day or two.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Thanks Jeff and PP GBR. I will do that tonight and also give my water company a call to see what is going on.
    PP GBR
    I don't have enough space to put the barrel. Tried to think if it fit in my bathroom. Wish I have a basement like you. That would be nice. You do have tennis elbow too? Mine too but it only give me pain intermittent. Hope you feel better with the elbow. Thanks guys for your advice

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast