AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got ripped off

Registered Member

Post Got ripped off

Well I just bought two pairs of Discus from Rain forest Farms ( Tom Meador ) I bought a breeding pair of Marlboro reds ( and I received White face cherry's. ) The other breeder pair was Marlboro yellows. Now he never said what size these breeders were but I'm expecting 5-6 inch fish. LOL your not going to believe what was sent to me for $550.00 The largest fish was 3 3/4 long and the smallest was 3 inch and he calls these mated pairs. Now I'm going to be honest I don't know a lot about Discus except what I have read but I'm sure that a 3 3/4 fish will not breed. Any way I called Tom and he swore that these fish have laid eggs and hatched fry LOL. Will not give refund. Jeff

Default Re: Got ripped off

It just depends how old the fish are and if they are stunted it could be possible. I have a couple of fish that started around 4.5 but I dont separate them to a breeding tank till they are bigger.
    Last edited by wdeleon01; 05-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Walter

NADA MEMBER

First off, Welcome to Simply Discus!

Sorry to hear about this. Had logged on and read about RFI here on Simply, you wouldn't have made that mistake.

If you bought two "pair" from him at $550, you're not too bad off. Usually one pair will run $500~$700. If the $550 included shipping, you didn't get raked over the coals too badly. So, if I understand this correctly, you only paid about $100 per fish. Not that they are worth that or that you didn't get ripped off but there are degrees of getting ripped off.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

I'm not a breeding expert here but I read a lot of thread And posted in here, I dont think 3 1/2 inches is mature enough to breed. And for $500? I think that is too much. Check out DiscusHan, he is having a lot of pairs but less than that plus his discus sure bigger than what you paid for. Sorry for that but next time please do buy discus from SD sponsors here and you will never regret.
    Josh

Real Name
    Matt

Could easily be "mature" enough.....just stunted which IMO is probably the case with Rainforest. Sorry to hear about your experience, a lot of us have been in similar situations when we started so we feel your pain.
    -Matt

It stinks but I think most of us here started with poor quality discus before we found simplydiscus. On the bright side now that you found this site you have access to the highest quality discus in the USA.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Its to bad that your first experience with pairs turned out to your dislike. At that size as mentioned either they are runts, will in turn not breed very large fish or he was just trying to "sex" them for you. In either case, this is why most people will only buy pairs that are confirmed and have pictures or video to prove it.

Have you talked to them about your situation? That would be your first step.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Each fish cost $137.50 Ea. The $ is not the problem the size of the fish are because I don't believe these fish have ever bred. The largest fish was only 3 3/4. When I talked to Hans he suggested that I should join Simply and post this. I would of rather paid $550.00 and got one nice pair from Hans. Jeff

Registered Member

Yes I have and he says their breeding, laying, hatching with fry. He will never make me believe it. Filed claim with PayPal.

Registered Member

Post pics if you can, (you might need a few more posts) maybe someone here can tell you if they are stunted.

Registered Member

How can I post a picture. I have a few

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_58718 View Post
    How can I post a picture. I have a few
    think you need a few more posts, just post a bunch of times in this thread. best way is to upload photos to photobucket and paste in the IMG code they provide.

Registered Member

You need more then 10 posts i believe.

Registered Member

ok thanks

Registered Member

WOW with that money you paid for...I will definetely buy from Hans.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast