AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My no hassle 75 gl W/C

Registered Member

Default My no hassle 75 gl W/C

I am redoing my whole get up.I have started to set up my discus grow out tank which is a 125 solo and 2-75gls stacked with the bottom 75 sharing the same 55gl sump as the 125 grow out tank.The top 75 is for water storage that drains into the 75 below and the botom 75 has a shut off and a hose bib..I have a 950gl hr on the 125 and a 550 on the bottom 75.Still working out the kinks.Should make it easy to do a 75gl w/c twice a week with out shutting down the grow out tank itself.I am putting Pista(Water Lettuce)in the bottom 75 with a duel 48"T-5.In the picture I have a 33long as the sump but it is just a little to small when the power goes out.Luckily I have a 55 just laying around so I will be swapping the out in the morning.I think 235gl of water will make 8 little discus happy.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: My no hassle 75 gl W/C

If these are grow out tanks I would be doing daily WCs instead of twice a week. You'll see your fish much happier and bigger faster. You don't get results by taking the easy way out.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

Do I really have to do 50% with 6-2.5" disus in 235.I could see 50% everyday if I just gave them 55gl but in 235 75 of it planted 50% just seem like a waste of time and money

Registered Member

Please talk me through this.I see 75 view I will listen but if I need to do 50% every day no matter the water volume per fish is then I might as well grow them out in a 55 right.It would save lots of money on water and electric over a years time.

Registered Member

Can anyone tell me why 6-2.5" discus in a55gl with no plant eating the Nitrate and Nitrite need 50% every day and so does 6-2.5" discus in 235gls 75gls of it planted

Buddly,

Brandon explained it best by stating that daily water changes help keep water cleaner and young discus healthy and growing without any issues. As adults you can get away with less frequent water changes as they for the most part have stopped growing after a year and half old.

At 2.5" in size, the smaller tank is best for the health of the discus.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Registered Member

I do see a difference between making small water changes everyday vs making large water changes less frequently. That's in theory and I don't have a lot of experience compare to most people here. Assuming you have matched parameters before the water change.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

Here are a few pictures of my redneck overflowed.When making this I have learned lots.If you want to make one the tea picture is from Wal-Mart for $2.46.I warn you don't glue the tower in the over flow tell you are sure it is at the right height.If it is to short your tank level will be to low.Also make sure your over flow tubes coming from the tank stick below top of tower or when you lose power you will lose siphon and when the power comes back on your tank will flood the floor
    [attachment=2574]IMG_20130531_134845.jpg[/attachment]

Registered Member

Here are a few pictures of my redneck overflowed.When making this I have learned lots.If you want to make one the tea picture is from Wal-Mart for $2.46.I warn you don't glue the tower in the over flow tell you are sure it is at the right height.If it is to short your tank level will be to low.Also make sure your over flow tubes coming from the tank stick below top of tower or when you lose power you will lose siphon and when the power comes back on your tank will flood the floor

Registered Member

Sorry not sure you could tell my other post is a video

...................................CLICK TO PLAY VIDEO...............................

Registered Member

This article is what made me decide to try and us Pistsa to help with water par.Not one comment on the build at all.I myself think is going to make it much easier once a week or 7 times a week.This is the Fish Room Projects section
    My no hassle 75 gl W/C

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15371212

Registered Member

Man this system is like a well oiled machine.It is so easy to do w/c.I just got through working 46.5hrs in 3 day so no w/c for 4 day and the nitrates are 0 tanks are amazingly clear.

.........................CLICK TO PLAY VIDEO.........................

Registered Member

Registered Member

Well it has been one month and 8 75gl w/cs fish have grown from 2.5 to 4" and getting bigger every day.The 75gl Pista tank is doing a great job I test nitrites and nitrates before every w/c and the reading has always been 0.
    .................click to play........................
    http://s551.photobucket.com/user/meg...66ed4.mp4.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast