AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Dealer rant

Real Name
    Matt

Default Car Dealer rant

I apologize in advance if anyone is a car salesperson (though if you work for a Dodge dealership I'd love to speak to you ). I've been going through the process of buying a car and in my experience so far there's no one I despise more than car salesmen. Granted I feel like I'm not an average customer, I come in armed with all of the information I need. I know exactly what car I want with what options and I know exactly what that car costs MSRP and dealer Invoice. I know as much or more than the salesman knows about the car, yet here I sit unable to make a deal because they treat me like I'm wrong, and my numbers are wrong because I won't even think about paying close to MSRP. Don't even mention the fact that I'm a younger guy who they think they can take advantage of.

I work during the day in a place where I can't answer or talk on the phone, so I contact them through email and let them know, this is my primary contact lets make a deal through email. What do they do? Either ignore it, try to call me anyway, or ask me to come in. NO! The whole point of email is so I don't have to come in and waste my time at your messy desk while you go play games with a manager.

So here I sit, continuing to contact dealers across the US looking for someone motivated enough to sell the car I want. I try to make it clear, I'm ready to buy TODAY, more than just a base model economy car sitting on your lot all you have to do is sell me on the price and provide a little customer service in the process and I'm ready to sign.

Emailed a dealer on Thursday of last week, no response for 4 days after initial contact. I email him back saying its been 4 days I'd love to work out a deal for this car. Took me filling out another one of those Contact Us forms on the website for him to email me....what does he say? Call me....looks like I have to take time off work just to get this done, frustration through the roof.

I JUST WANT TO BUY A CAR! End rant.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Car Dealer rant

Well understood Matt. Try being female and dealing with the salepeople. Like you I know what I want exactly and how much I want to pay but they all think women are idiots and have no brain.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

What are you trying to buy? I have a good friend who is a dodge dealer. They are located in iowa if that makes a difference.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Hi Matt,

I feel your pain. I have done the same thing and it drives me nuts when they have no clue what do over an email.

I have an uncle who was in the car business for almost 50 years and he taught me well when it comes to buying and selling cars. But to that; they do want a face-to-face so they can try and sell you something you don't want and get you to spend more money.

Many dealers are not into internet sales and thats what makes it difficult for people with limited time.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Tony

oh man!!! each time buying a car is a nightmare. I just bought one about a month ago, it took almost a whole day process from test drive, sale to finance. That's crazy aggresive sale. somehow i think theyre trying to burn you out and end of the day you just give up to close the deal. I wish i could pay it in cash.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Well understood Matt. Try being female and dealing with the salepeople. Like you I know what I want exactly and how much I want to pay but they all think women are idiots and have no brain.
    Same thing happened to my mom a few years ago Pat. She went to buy a Prius and the guy just kept addressing my Dad who was with her even though he kept telling the guy, talk to her she's the one buying the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    What are you trying to buy? I have a good friend who is a dodge dealer. They are located in iowa if that makes a difference.
    I've been looking at dealers all over the US, I really don't care where it comes from as I can either get a cheap plane ticket to pick it up or have it shipped. As long as the price is right it doesn't matter the state lol. Looking for a Dodge Challenger with some specific options.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Hi Matt,

I feel your pain. I have done the same thing and it drives me nuts when they have no clue what do over an email.

I have an uncle who was in the car business for almost 50 years and he taught me well when it comes to buying and selling cars. But to that; they do want a face-to-face so they can try and sell you something you don't want and get you to spend more money.

Many dealers are not into internet sales and thats what makes it difficult for people with limited time.
    Which is INSANE IMO because with it being an internet age there are TONS of people out there Internet shopping. The same reason why I feel a lot of LFS fail, they don't address their online market which would probably be a huge boom to their business. Something as simple as offering a special club discount, posting youtube videos of new arrivals, or posting weekly stock lists on club forums....but that's a whole other rant by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    oh man!!! each time buying a car is a nightmare. I just bought one about a month ago, it took almost a whole day process from test drive, sale to finance. That's crazy aggresive sale. somehow i think theyre trying to burn you out and end of the day you just give up to close the deal. I wish i could pay it in cash.
    That's what I'm trying to avoid. I've already driven the car, I know I want to buy it and I don't need the salesperson to read the window sticker options to me. I would test drive the car before I signed just to be sure it's in working order but there's no need for me to be at the dealer all day. I want to agree to a deal over email and if local ill then come in sign and drive away in a new car. A non local dealer is a bit more difficult but still not that hard.
    -Matt

Registered Member

The dealer wants to get as much as he can for a car. The dealer sells cars all year long, maybe 365 days a year. You buy a car maybe every few years, they know a lot about selling cars so just do the best you can and be happy. You cannot beat them. You may never be able to pay the price you want to pay. Just because you saw a listed wholesale price does not mean that is the wholesale price, there are many things that effect that price. If you really want to pay your price try Dec 24th or Dec 31st. The dealer is more inclined to deal then. Also try the end of the month or the end of a quarter. June 28-29-30 may be good days.

I had a wonderful experience buying my van, but it was way back in 1999. There was this internet thing called Autobytel. They gave all the information I needed to make an informed decision on the site. Even explained about dealer holdback. When I was about to make the deal, a smart *** guy at work told me that his Ford dealer could make me a better deal. Guess what? He was wrong. I ended up paying $200. over dealer hold back. The salesman I dealt with worked for it so I didn't begrudge it. What I wanted existed on NOBODY's lot, like air conditioning but no seats in the back of the van. He had to put in a special order. I got all the bells and whistles I wanted and none of the ones I didn't want. The salesman told me when I first contacted him that it would be the best car buying experience I'd ever have. He was correct.
    Mama Bear

Dang, I just googled Autobytel and they still exist! I don't know if their ways are the same as they used to be, but it can't hurt to check the site out. http://www.autobytel.com/?id=32503
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    David

I bought my challenger from Rockie Williams Premier Dodge Chrysler Jeep in Lebanon, Tn. Almost all of it was handled via email because I had major issues with Miracle Dodge near my work & refused to step foot on their lot until they were ready for me to sign paperwork.

That included them getting the car from another dealer.

http://www.rockiewilliamspremierdodg....com/index.htm

I hope they can help you.

If so, we can do lunch when you get here.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    The dealer wants to get as much as he can for a car. The dealer sells cars all year long, maybe 365 days a year. You buy a car maybe every few years, they know a lot about selling cars so just do the best you can and be happy. You cannot beat them. You may never be able to pay the price you want to pay. Just because you saw a listed wholesale price does not mean that is the wholesale price, there are many things that effect that price. If you really want to pay your price try Dec 24th or Dec 31st. The dealer is more inclined to deal then. Also try the end of the month or the end of a quarter. June 28-29-30 may be good days.
    I understand that and I'm in no way trying to lowball or cheat the dealer, but after researching for many many moons I know that invoice price minus rebates is a very common selling point and if I'm not at that point I need to keep looking. Dealer will still get their hold backs and everything. Dealers won't let cars leave the lot unless they make SOME money on them that's for sure. I can't wait until December lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I had a wonderful experience buying my van, but it was way back in 1999. There was this internet thing called Autobytel. They gave all the information I needed to make an informed decision on the site. Even explained about dealer holdback. When I was about to make the deal, a smart *** guy at work told me that his Ford dealer could make me a better deal. Guess what? He was wrong. I ended up paying $200. over dealer hold back. The salesman I dealt with worked for it so I didn't begrudge it. What I wanted existed on NOBODY's lot, like air conditioning but no seats in the back of the van. He had to put in a special order. I got all the bells and whistles I wanted and none of the ones I didn't want. The salesman told me when I first contacted him that it would be the best car buying experience I'd ever have. He was correct.
    I should of mentioned not all of them are like I described. I actually have a good one I'm talking to but the only way for me to get the car is special order from the factory....not against it, and the price is pretty darn close.....but I'd have to wait until August or September to take delivery. Not sure the old Jeep can last that long lol and if i push it then that's a few thousand wasted that I could of had on a trade. I actually want to work with this guy but having to wait 3-4 more months is sketchy right now so I was trying to find one on the lots already.
    -Matt

Real Name
    David

Which model challenger are you wanting?
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

LOL.....Car dealers hate me......I am only going to own the car if I own then first....

Hang in there buddy. Remember they are not doing you a favor....you are doing them one and don't hesitate to tell them that.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    Which model challenger are you wanting?
    Just the standard R/T, no plus or classic (unless they fall in R/T price range lol). Looking for one with super track pack, anti spin axle, and sunroof as the must have options. Preferably in Granite but not to picky about color as I love the car.....would prefer to stay away from black though. Pain to keep up black cars and the majority of challenger owners have black lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    LOL.....Car dealers hate me......I am only going to own the car if I own then first....

Hang in there buddy. Remember they are not doing you a favor....you are doing them one and don't hesitate to tell them that.

-john
    Thanks John. I'm not against walking away that's for sure.
    -Matt

LOL.... I am a car salesman for Hyundai, there are truths to what some of what was said but there is also things that are said that are not. I could get on a soap box but will not...lol however, let me say this "the internet has changed the car buying experience for good or for bad, guess it depends on which side you are standing. There are several and most dealerships have an internet manager, that is all he or she does.
    The stero typical car salesman or scum of the earth, like all jobs in retail, depends on who you are talking to, not ALL are like that. Now if you like I can discuss about truecars.com and invoice pricing and rebates, will be glad to.

John thats funny, I run into several people with your line of thinking and they leave making a friend with me. If you are up front an honest you will not have issues. Lets look at it this way,
    this is the way I make a living, referrals, repeat customers and new ones. I dont work for free just like know one else does....

Ok off soap box...
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast