AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hekel Altums

Default Re: Hekel Altums

Quote Originally Posted by angelfishusa View Post
    I've been waiting close to 2 1/2 years. I have 44 adults. some about 16-17" in height. 7 confirmed pairs. All tony F1 Altums. With the tropical storm off our coast, I am finally hoping for my first 2 spawns tomorrow. Last night both male and female tubes started dropping. I have my fingers crossed!

Best of luck David, hope they do spawn for you. Keep us posted and hope storm stays away from you guys. Wish you well my friend.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

I just ordered a few of these for myself, they are nice looking fish!
    Anthony

Registered Member

Those are in no shape and form real altums. Here is a true altum:
    Last edited by Len; 06-09-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Those are in no shape and form real altums. Here is a true altum:
    it is 100% real altum. Parents are wild imports. I ahve seen them. There will always be people that say no. but they are 100% real. We only try to contribute with good information to the hobby. There are different altums. from different regions. I would suggest that you study that before making a comment like that.
    Have a nice day
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-09-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Registered Member

Those heckel altums are about a 6-10 months older then the altum you are showing here... they are starting to get the adult body shape. You can't compare that photo to heckel altum photo unless they were the same age.
    Anthony

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    Best of luck David, hope they do spawn for you. Keep us posted and hope storm stays away from you guys. Wish you well my friend.
    still expecting 2 spawns any day now. tubes are 1/2 dropped (maybe mroe) and the are getting super aggressive!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Underwater Oasis View Post
    Those heckel altums are about a 6-10 months older then the altum you are showing here... they are starting to get the adult body shape. You can't compare that photo to heckel altum photo unless they were the same age.
    Anthony
    and it's also a different type of Altum than what you and I have.

Real Name
    Matt

I can fully believe they are from Altum parents. If they are missing a bar isn't it plausible that their body shape and whatever else could be different too? I believe so. I'm not a huge fan of them visually personally, missing that bar makes it look weird to me but by no means are they a bad looking fish.

David, good luck to you. I hope you have great success breeding. Having a supplier of tank bred/raised Altums (even F2) would be outstanding. Every time I look at my wild angels it makes me want more and more.
    -Matt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I can fully believe they are from Altum parents. If they are missing a bar isn't it plausible that their body shape and whatever else could be different too? I believe so. I'm not a huge fan of them visually personally, missing that bar makes it look weird to me but by no means are they a bad looking fish.

David, good luck to you. I hope you have great success breeding. Having a supplier of tank bred/raised Altums (even F2) would be outstanding. Every time I look at my wild angels it makes me want more and more.
    None of mine are missing the bar, and mine have much better shape. I had those for a while and just stuck them in a tank and never really worked with them. they only doubled in size in a year and should have been probably 50% larger. Mine are 14 to 17" tall now. They look much different but came from the same parents. At the end for some reason 100% of the fry were without the back bar. Now Jeffrey and tony will breed those to see what happens with the fry. should be interesting. they are a conversation fish though!

Registered Member

Its not about missing bar, its about mouthpart. Upturned mouth is specific for altum angel for all age classes beside fry of course.
    the only other option of this fosh being the real altums are that those are mutants (with deformed mouth acording to real altums of course)

Real Name
    Matt

My SI angels which are Pterophyllum scalare have upturned noses/mouths. And thats what I was saying, its exactly that....a mutation, and I was saying the missing bar is a mutation. Mutations arn't always bad. Who knows, these could throw "normal" looking Altums when bred much like discus throwbacks not looking like the strain name suggests but carrying the genes. To g after these so hard as not real altums is a bit silly IMO, that's all.
    -Matt

My upturned nose scalare

What really matters is that you like and enjoy your fishes good luck with them!!

Enviado desde mi Xoom usando Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by fredyx; 06-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Registered Member

Fredyx yours are "Peru altums", not a real altum and probably not a common angelfish but the other undescribed species. What is now known as a Pterophyllum scalare are probably quite a few species including coomon angelfish, the real one(rio negro altum), peru altum, mancapuras, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Fredyx yours are "Peru altums", not a real altum and probably not a common angelfish but the other undescribed species. What is now known as a Pterophyllum scalare are probably quite a few species including coomon angelfish, the real one(rio negro altum), peru altum, mancapuras, etc.
    I know that , they are wild ones, not true altum but I love them anyway

Enviado desde mi Xoom usando Tapatalk 2

Banned

from the same parents. My F1 Altums any comments?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast