AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Too much water change?

Registered Member

Default Too much water change?

Hello everyone -just wondering if there was such a thing as too much water change. I have a 150 gallon high with 13 adult discus .I feed live black worms and frozen blood worms and have no food waste i change 60% of the water every day .There are days when I go to do my water change and I look at the fish I'm wondering if I really should do the change .Their colors are vibrant and health is excellent . Without the excess food waste my water quality stays excellent .do I really need to change all that water What do you think? Is there such a thing as too much water change? Thanks For your input. -R.J.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: Too much water change?

too much water change...? Adult discus you can probably get away with WCs every other day if you're not really looking for much growth out of them anymore. I do 50% twice weekly and 1 time at 90% on my adults as of right now.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Real Name
    Tony

how long have you done WC like that? how much do they grow? i think, it MAYBE too much for feeding live blackworms and frozen blood worms.

If you feel it's too much WC, try to skip 1 or 2 days, test your water everyday to see how much it changes. Also, keep your eyes on them to see if act any different.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member

Sorry for the typo I meant to say 60% of the water every other day

There is no such thing as too much WC if your water is stable. That doesn't mean that you can't do well with less. Try and see. The fish will tell you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mike

In my experience, large water changes have a negative affect every time I do them, however, I have always used straight tap water. 50-60% works better for me every few days but I also only feed clean food right now like FDBW from Al. Right before my water changes, I will feed beef heart and pellets which has helped the cleanliness and all planaria has disappeared. Bare bottom tank also.

Registered Member

Test your source water. I had issues with water changes for a long time until my city learned how to disinfect their water correctly. They installed a new system and it took them months to work out the kinks. I darn near lost a few fish to them.

Also, I have to ask... are you treating your water when you add new? Straight tap water without Prime? You didn't specify.

Registered Member

Hi Pat I'm actually on well water and fish do not stress out with water changes. I currently change around 60% of the water every other day . I was just wondering if I cut back to 60% twice a week and fish seem healthy if that would be okay. All 13 fish are between four and 6 inches And are happy and healthy. Actually have one pair in the tank that lay eggs every couple weeks. I use a python straight from the tap for water changes and being on well water do not use prime.Fish are doing extremely well. Filters are a Rena XP rated for 175 gallon tank with bio stars only for biological filteration And 2 hang on bio wheel filters for mechanical filteration .Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks -RJ

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

There are usually many factors that come in with how many water changes you do in a week one being how much you feed and the waste that collects. If you feed proper amounts and don’t over feed and you are not heavily stocked than twice a week at 60% is fine. Your discus are at an age and size that huge water changes are not necessary as long as you’re not over feeding and causing the food to rot at the bottom of the tank. You could go one step further just to be safe and invest in a diatom filter to keep your tank running fresh...Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

I disagree with Liz. There actually is such a thing as too much water change. Hans told me about a case in the Netherlands, it was an extreme case and I do not remember the exact details Do not worry you are nowheres near it. Even if you change 100% daily you are still good.