ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ChicagoDiscus and local flora and fauna :: PHOTO BOMB beware

Registered Member

Default ChicagoDiscus and local flora and fauna :: PHOTO BOMB beware

Pictures are worth a thousand words and there's not enough words to describe a visit to and with ChicagoDiscus. A newfound perk for living in this neck of the woods. Period!

June was starting out great, although a continued spring with the constant lake winds keeping us in the 60's. Just did a little editing on the street bed.

Flowers and their colors... gotta love it. (wild columbine)

2 weeks later and Roses are getting their swerve on. Vibrant colors and I start thinking about that wild 300gal display tank at ChicagoDiscus.

Pinks and reds... hmmmm!

Zephrine Drouhin

First year bloom on a volunteer seedling

Autumn Damask showing off and my memory of the first visit to ChicagoDiscus intensifies...

That volunteer seedling. Took 3 years and finally bloomed. Kind of like growing out a discus. What will it be?

OK!! Had to do it and went to ChicagoDiscus to visitate and pick up 2 Marlboro Reds and 1 Chicago Tefe. Although I was swayed into two Tefe's since they were butt buddies.

THIS is what has hammered my conscious since the first visit. Pics do not begin to do justice on this 300gal piece of eye candy.

I had 112 photos, culled down to 44 and here's a reader's digest tour.

Ginormous showpiece which will be seen in other shots.

I just like this breeder peeking over the privacy fence. Gorgeous fish besides.

Fresh meat from Germany.

Love, love, love this one.

Sex, sex, sex... everywhere.

The intense reds and orange were all but impossible to capture. As are flowers.

The breeding colors on this guy are absolutely amazing.

Oh yeah, the kids that followed me home.

Fresh release before the sponge that's been cooking in the original ChicagoDiscus tank got moved over.

Original group from a couple of weeks ago. They've grown but still have a disdain for lights although I discovered today that the others of the same piwo strain at ChicagoDiscus are the same way. I don't feel so bad and even in the dark, these kiddies are growing.

Ubiquitous community tank in afternoon light with a herd of voracious porkers. The two brands of beefheart flake and the tetra bits that none of the Discus like... these folks gobble it up like the proverbial piranhas!

Finally, Josie - this is the recent green afghan I mentioned. Got a spare pleco? I'll be back in a week or so.

Thanks for the beautiful fish and allowing me to mill about smartly... in the way.

Default Re: ChicagoDiscus and local flora and fauna :: PHOTO BOMB beware

Nice, a very well documented trip to Chicago Discus.
    Thanks for sharing

Jon

I must have looked through this PHOTO BOMB a dozen times. I totally enjoyed every picture. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. Great garden and great pictures of outstanding discus!!

Thanks
    Rich

Registered Member

Oh there's more but thanks. If you're ever up in this neck of the woods, go visit them. Midwest at it's finest. I'm gonna have to sell some stuff to finance bigger tanks when these all grow out. Glad you enjoyed it though. I sure do.

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing! Looks like your doing good with the troops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

OMG you do beautiful work thats amazing I wish I had the talent to do that kinda of Yarn work unfortunately my hands are not coordinated LOL.. We had so much fun hanging out with you today and talking Discus and flowers you completely impressed me that you knew not only the kind of roses I have but were able to say where they came from it was truly impressive. Thank you for the kind words and great photos of the Hatchery you are a very kind soul my friend........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

+1

Enjoyed and already watched all the photos few times. Good thought to share your experience!!! Specially that Josie's 300Gallon tank with the world's best discus IMO!!!

Registered Member

Very nice. love the blue n red color. what strain is this and where can i get 1 . The 1 with deep red

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Registered Member

Yeah, it was a good time had by all I think. I think I know what my male Bulldog feels like now. Wants to follow me around working in the house and I'm side stepping, stepping over or telling him to get his fat head out of the way. I was the bulldog yesterday while you guys were trying to clean tanks.

@ktitn04 - Josie could certainly tell you and may even have some in stock. I forget and only showed a fraction of the tanks. I don't have strains committed to what's left of the memory.

What's weird is that if I hadn't seen and taken the pictures personally, I would assume they'd been tweaked to hell to get those colors. They are loud vibrant neon signs. Quite jaw dropping. Especially since this has been my first face time with quality adults.
    Last edited by 8ftbed; 06-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Registered Member

Outstanding landscaping and beautiful discus. How on earth do you find the time?

Registered Member

Heh, heh... Divide and conquer as far as the yard. There's big spring and fall projects and in between, just keep pecking away at it. 15 -30 min a day pulling weeds keeps it to a dull roar. I'm sure Josie's hatchery is a constant state of movement for her and Miranda.

Registered Member

So here's a simple concatenation of 3 vid clips. The first are the Malrboro Reds and Chicago Tefes. I'd just put the 3 bottles together and slapped 'em in. I'm making one more after the DejaBlue water bottle is done mixing with vodka. I plan on having one in each corner, all color coordinated and crap, to keep the worms from stalling there and also be able to get the big sponge out.

The 2nd clip is of the original crew from a few weeks ago. I followed your lead and put folded paper under the light Saturday when I got home. I've had the light on all day today and they just line up like soldiers on the bottom. That's progress. Otherwise, like yours, they dog piled in the corner if the light was on or walked through the door. Not now.

The 3rd clip is the manic community tank. If I get desperate, those silver dollars will make a nice snack. Biggest I've ever grown. They've all bulked up quick. I guess they like the frequent feeding Discus schedule.

I shot this just before water changes awhile ago. Cheap shots off the iPhone.

Something else I discovered today. The ChicagoDiscus fish bags were perfect for tenting these pots to start some rose cuttings. Should they root (it's always been hit or miss with me doing it like this) I've started cuttings of the yellow Golden Showers and the pink Zephrine Drouhin. Both can be tied up as climber. The white one is the Griffith Buck I was telling you about. I get 5 flushes per season and it's bone hardy. I don't cover it or anything. Just tie it up and trim the top foot so the snow and wind doesn't shred it. Then trim a couple more feet in the spring.

THANKS!

Lizzie is saying something I really didn't need to hear.

Last edited by 8ftbed; 06-17-2013 at 09:20 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

OMG that dog is cute as can be....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

What a great bunch of pictures! Fish and flowers are gorgeous. Lizzie is a cutie.

Love Lizzie!!
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast