AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fish room. Please come in and give comments!!

Default New fish room. Please come in and give comments!!

So after a couple false starts and then getting my reef set-up. I am back to working on my Discus fish room. I found a deal on some older Petco store display glass tanks. There are 5 sets, 3 90 gallon tanks per set. 6 of the 90s are divided into 3 30g tanks, 6 are split into 2 45g tanks, and 3 are split 22/22/45. Each is a seperate tank with a airlift driven corner filter. Here is a picture or one tank to give a idea:
    Sorry tanks are dirty just pulled them out of the guys storage unit, where they have set for just over a year. Will be bleaching and then sun baking all of them. Each tank has 4 blue walls and just the front wall is clear

I am trying to decide if I want to take out the corener filters, they are just spongefilters with a box around them. Trying to decided on a air pump to drive these tanks plus 4 more 55s and two 120s. The tanks will be arranged the 5 sets of petco tank on three walls and the 6 other tanks will be on the 4th along with my sink and work area.

Does anyone have experience of suggestions for a semi-automatic water change system? I have the equipment to drill the tanks for drains and also a 200g tank to age water in. I am lucky, where we are located my water comes from a well and is 5.7ph with 0ppm TDS and has been tested zero for heavy metals.

Well getting called to help set-up our agility equipment. Will add more as I get thigs moved/cleaned/moved. Any suggestions or comments are very welcome.

Thanks Zach

Default Re: New fish room. Please come in and give comments!!

I use very similar dutch systems in my shop. I like them quite a bit. They are very easy to clean and hold lots of water. And that is one thing that I am bummed mine doesn't have (auto water changing system) I do have an auto fill system, but it doesn't work....

Anywho, I think this is a good system for you, and would be amazing with an auto water change.
    Need some fishy designs or illustration? Like my avatar? When i'm not messing with fish, I'm a designer and illustrator. Check me out!
    ewrightdesign.com

I have less than $.35 per gallon in the Petco tanks. This gives me individual tanks for 24 breeding pr, 15 seperation tanks, 4 intermidiate tanks and two large tanks to raise up new fish to go into the program. I also have a 120g and 185g bowfront display tanks in the house, along with a 90g reef tank that is getting upgraded to a 130g after the stand and sump are finished.

Right now I am very male heavy. Just made a order for 5 new wild caughts and hope to make my second big order with Kenny next month. Strong Discus community here in the Pacific Northwest and now that I am more settled in and have time. Hope to get to know some of them better.

Spyke I see you are from Springfeild. I was born and raised just outside of Jefferson City. Just moved to Seattle a couple years ago. Spent alot of time on Table Rock Lake!

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Those are DAS ( Dutch Aquatic Systems) tanks. The company is located about 70 miles from me. Your tanks appear to be 75 gallon tanks. I have 24 of them up and running right now. The are ok tanks but prone to leaking. I generally repair one or two a year. I paid $25 a piece for mine. I would take out all of the corner filters and just use sponge filters in them.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

With the standing dry for a year, your cleaning, then baking in the sun, be very wary of leaks. You may have to do some silicone removal followed by new gluing. Good luck with your new project, just be careful.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes do plan on re sealing all of them. Cheeck insurence right off the bat. Getting excited have six new wild caught discus in Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by zachrabbit15 View Post
    I have less than $.35 per gallon in the Petco tanks. This gives me individual tanks for 24 breeding pr, 15 seperation tanks, 4 intermidiate tanks and two large tanks to raise up new fish to go into the program. I also have a 120g and 185g bowfront display tanks in the house, along with a 90g reef tank that is getting upgraded to a 130g after the stand and sump are finished.

Right now I am very male heavy. Just made a order for 5 new wild caughts and hope to make my second big order with Kenny next month. Strong Discus community here in the Pacific Northwest and now that I am more settled in and have time. Hope to get to know some of them better.

Spyke I see you are from Springfeild. I was born and raised just outside of Jefferson City. Just moved to Seattle a couple years ago. Spent alot of time on Table Rock Lake!
    Yes, I am very close to table rock...i don't go there much anymore, but as a kid my dad worked in branson and we went there a lot. And how is seattle? I've heard good things about it there, wet, but nice. I would love to live there, both for the art scene, and the mountains (i ride mountain bikes too).

Keep us posted on the fish room!
    Need some fishy designs or illustration? Like my avatar? When i'm not messing with fish, I'm a designer and illustrator. Check me out!
    ewrightdesign.com

So with a nice well insulated room. Would you all heat each tank or heat the room? In the past I keep my tanks at 86deg with no problem getting spawns. With this quanity of tanks, thought it may be easier to keep the intire room at 86deg?

Spyke, weather here is awsome. Does not rain as often as everyone says, and its a different kind of rain as those back home. Wet morning and nice afternoons and they have only had two "gully washers" in the 2+ years I have been here. Very mild maybe two weeks in the 30s and two weeks in the 90s. Pretty consistant mid 50s to mid 70s 85% of the time. Mts and trails everywhere, plus seafood to die for. EVERYTHING IS TOO DAM EXPENSIVE though!! lol

I must go there...I have family up there, and some friends moving there soon. I'll be up there one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ewrightdesign.com

So picked up a nice 1/2h Sweetwater blower. A little large but can always add more tanks later.

So not much for updates till now. Getting one wall set-up and going. Had to wait for the electrician to come out and run a new circuit. First 3 sets of the Dutch Aquariums stacks. First two sets on the left will be my breeding pr tanks (18 x 25g). Set on the right will be adults not breeding tank (6 x 37.5g). New wall going into garage tomorrow to enclose and make a fish room 29' long and 7' wide. running the length of that wall will be 3 more sets of the Dutch Aquariums stack (9 x 75g). Each level of each stack is lit for now by a 24" or 36" single bulb light strip.

The tanks with adualt fish are filtered using Hydro sponge filters using a Alita 40 air pump. Each tank has a 150w Jehmco heater.

The grow out wall tanks each have a Aqua Clear 110 filter and a Hrdro sponge using the Alita. Each of those tanks have a 300w titanium heater.

Finishing the plumbing later today to add a shop sink to the room and a 24" x 36" work bench next to it. There is a 24" x 24" rolling work cart I use too. This has been something I have wanted for quit some time now and I'm very happy to see it getting very close to completion!!

Getting the stacks in place and "stacked". Suckers are about 180lbs per tank and the top ones are a real @#%$^!&#$(Q! to get lifted up!!

Seeing those set up makes me jealous. I have them at work and love them. I wish I had them at home too. I could do a lot more breeding and rearing that way.
    ewrightdesign.com

Bookmarking these tanks for my future setup. From where u got these type tanks? whether any divider can be put in to separate other tanks?

Thx for sharing..

So have the fish room about 85% done. Still need to finish some electrical, paint, and to build a new air manifold. Lerned a fast leason. Didn't get vent fan wired before having to leave for a couple days. Got some mold on the celling, pain to clean and now have to use Kilnz paint. Procrastinating bites you in the butt everytime

Having a local plastic place cut me lids for the tanks. The slidding doors that came with the tanks were to shot. With the narrow space I can keep the room at 85 with just the little oil heater and it runs about 10min of every hour.
    Last edited by zachrabbit15; 10-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Ahh just finished putting the last of the wiring in and switched from the old circuit to the new. Now the room has a dedicated 20amp all to its self . Now just waiting on some new heaters and a couple more filters and will have all the tanks full of water and cycling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast