AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help priming my Fluval 405!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Help priming my Fluval 405!

Turn it upside down when you plug it in then slowly turn right side up......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

Right, I have just tried to use the powerhead. I placed the powerhead into the intake (without the end strainer), keeping both underwater. The cannister filled with water and bubbles came from the outflow, but only when the powerhead was inserted. When I took it out there was nothing. A full canister but no syphon. I turned the filter on and all I get is the very noisy rattling sound. There was no suction and nothing coming out of the outflow..

Registered Member

Right, this is getting stranger. I tried what you said Josie. When I turned the filter upside down and turned it on, bubbles started to come from the outflow and the filter sounded healthy, I could hear water flowing about. As I slowly turned it upright I got the horrible loud rattle and the bubbles stopped and nothing. Repeated and same effect

Quote Originally Posted by kenkaniff12 View Post
    Right, this is getting stranger. I tried what you said Josie. When I turned the filter upside down and turned it on, bubbles started to come from the outflow and the filter sounded healthy, I could hear water flowing about. As I slowly turned it upright I got the horrible loud rattle and the bubbles stopped and nothing. Repeated and same effect
    then I would try changing the O ring ...... Josie
    Chicago Discus

Registered Member

Ok, could you explain? I mean, there is no leaking even when I turn the cannister upside down. The o ring is lubricated and the top seems to lock into plave securely

If the O ring is not leaking then and then I would fill the unit up with water disconnect the intake and outtake and gently replace them so they fit snug. Then turn the unit back upside down while it running and slowly turn right side up. It will make noise for a minute or so but it will catch.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Registered Member

Thank you so much Josie, I have managed to get it working finally! Tipping it upside down made all the difference. i was starting to go mad and the turtle is very grateful. Would you suggest just leaving the snapped primer in there?
    Also, I have read that you should replace the ceramic part of the impeller when you see black wear marks on it. Is that actually the case or should it be ok/ What should I look out for in regards to replacing parts

If your tank was full I would have seen a problem. What happens when you are trying to pull water from a shallow tank like you are describing, the suction needed to get up the tank and over to the down-flow is not there. I am glad you got is started and running. Just remember what you did so you can repeat it with no issues.

The ceramic shaft for the impellar unless the black is caked on, it should be fine. I always clean (every other week) the magnet and shaft on the impellar and the blades to prevent debris from building as this will slow down the performance.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by kenkaniff12 View Post
    Thank you so much Josie, I have managed to get it working finally! Tipping it upside down made all the difference. i was starting to go mad and the turtle is very grateful. Would you suggest just leaving the snapped primer in there?
    Also, I have read that you should replace the ceramic part of the impeller when you see black wear marks on it. Is that actually the case or should it be ok/ What should I look out for in regards to replacing parts

Glad I could help Ken

As far as the primer you can leave it in without an issue and the ceramic parts I keep clean with small brushes and replace them when it stops working or slows down. I have not used canister filters for a while but I remember the hard time I had getting them going again........josie
    Chicago Discus

Registered Member

Thanks alot guys. I have a tetratec ex700 also which only really works when my other tank is quite full so i anticipated a bit of a problem. (At least you get a priming button instead of a flimsy rod). Hopefully the depth will not decrease flow rate on the 405. So far it seems to be doing a good job. The last owner has done a hack job on the tubes though which are incredibly short now.
    I plan on getting a taller stand so I will need new tubes. Do you know whether I need to buy the Fluval ones or whether anything cheaper would work?
    I keep my cannisters as clean as I can but what I meant about the ceramic was the black marks you get from wear. As if the top surface has rubbed off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12