AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP ME

Default PLEASE HELP ME

I had posted on here about a week or so ago. Post called "discus laying on bottom of tank, not eating". Well, the discus is still laying at the bottom of the tank and not eating! Nobody seemed to know what it was. Where are all the pros in this department? There used to be so much support on this forum. Basically I was taking shots in the dark and am now out of ideas. He is still miraculously alive after so many days.

I have already done:
    General cure
    2 days Epsom salt
    Metro and furan-2

He looked worse to me on the furan-2, so I discontinued after 3 full days of double the dose. Metro was continued for another two days after that. Right now he is in clean water.

Throughout all these treatments I did 50-60% wc per day.

He seems to have absolutely no control of his swim bladder.

I don't know what to do next... Please help me!!! There is no way that nobody knows what to do on here.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372517753.324431.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372517773.633468.jpg
    val

Default Re: PLEASE HELP ME

You need to stop discontinuing treatments because they seem to not be snapping out of it right away. Some fish get worse before getting better and some don't get better until a weeks after the meds are stopped). I would let him rest right now in clean water. He may not get better unfortunately. Kanamyacin would be the last and final thing I would try at the full dosage (not the dosage on the bottle). I have a bunch of bulk kanamyacin in the freezer so it would be easy for me. You may not want to spend another $75 on meds though as you will need about this much to fully treat for 7-10 days with daily water changes. Good luck, treating sick fish is more of an art than science unfortunately unless you have a full blown lab at your disposal and even then you have to kill the fish first to see the problem was. Good luck keep us updated.

Edit: On a more positive note when I first started I had 10 discus come down with columnaris and though I lost half of them the ones that pulled through looked quite awful for 3 weeks just floating at the surface fins all rotting away. They got better but it took time.
    Last edited by lipadj46; 06-29-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    --Don--

V:

Often time, the sick fish with serious internal bacterial infection exhibits dark black eye symptom. His eye color changes from bright to darken. When you see this on your fish, it means his prognosis is very poor. If the fish was given the right med when he was first noticed there may be a chance for survival. I'm sorry to break the bad news but whatelse can I say . Hate to see you losing the fish.

There is other med you could try is Kanamycin or Kanaplex. You could dose it with Furan 2 together.

Good luck.

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    V:

Often time, the sick fish with serious internal bacterial infection exhibits dark black eye symptom. His eye color changes from bright to darken. When you see this on your fish, it means his prognosis is very poor. If the fish was given the right med when he was first noticed there may be a chance for survival. I'm sorry to break the bad news but whatelse can I say . Hate to see you losing the fish.

There is other med you could try is Kanamycin or Kanaplex. You could dose it with Furan 2 together.

Good luck.
    You've mentioned this before about the eye turning black. Are talking about the whole eye, because the stress bar in the face shows up in the eye.

Registered Member

Temp is a great healer of discus. I'm just sayin, meds are expensive and this has worked for me ever time if I catch it soon enough:
    2-3 days in a QT tank at 93 degrees

I through a blanket over it to keep it dark and quiet. They don't usually eat during this time but it is an effective treatment. I do tend to hover over them checking them several times a day to see how they are doing. I've never tried this with discus less than 3", it might be too much for younger ones. I've also caught the diseases earlyish about the time one would start staring at the corner all day or perhaps start to darken but never beyond that it might be too much for a fish that has taken to laying on the bottom, which could be a symptom of environmental stress and have nothing to do with illness. ( I had a friends discus all lay on the bottom and after a lot of detective work found out it was because they were getting a new roof put on thier house and the discus could stand the vibration from above!) Anyway I've treated Hole in the head and tapeworms this way with great success. Just my 2 cents. It's like giving your discus a fever, just like we get when we're sick...
    Last edited by Aquariumlover8; 06-30-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

why would you treat this fish with Metro? Furan-2 is for esternal infections, this fish has an internal swim bladder issue. Only a couple of meds that should have even been considered. kanamycin is your best chance, unless your willing to go for the injectables.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    You need to stop discontinuing treatments because they seem to not be snapping out of it right away. Some fish get worse before getting better and some don't get better until a weeks after the meds are stopped). I would let him rest right now in clean water. He may not get better unfortunately. Kanamyacin would be the last and final thing I would try at the full dosage (not the dosage on the bottle). I have a bunch of bulk kanamyacin in the freezer so it would be easy for me. You may not want to spend another $75 on meds though as you will need about this much to fully treat for 7-10 days with daily water changes. Good luck, treating sick fish is more of an art than science unfortunately unless you have a full blown lab at your disposal and even then you have to kill the fish first to see the problem was. Good luck keep us updated.

Edit: On a more positive note when I first started I had 10 discus come down with columnaris and though I lost half of them the ones that pulled through looked quite awful for 3 weeks just floating at the surface fins all rotting away. They got better but it took time.
    Thanks Rick. The fish is now in clean water for the second day. I feel as though hes a little more active today. Trying to get up a little more often, but it might just be me clouded with hope. I am thinking of starting kana today. All I can get at the moment is Kanaplex, kana from angelplus is not an option anymore as I am in Canada. When I order food from them, the customs can be unpredictable.

What kanaplex dosage should I go with? it is only 40% kanamycin I believe..
    val

V:

Good luck.
    Unfortunately I am unable to tell the fish's eye color at all, as he is a pigeon. The eyes are orange just like the rest of them.
    val

Quote Originally Posted by Aquariumlover8 View Post
    Temp is a great healer of discus. I'm just sayin, meds are expensive and this has worked for me ever time if I catch it soon enough:
    2-3 days in a QT tank at 93 degrees

I through a blanket over it to keep it dark and quiet. They don't usually eat during this time but it is an effective treatment. I do tend to hover over them checking them several times a day to see how they are doing. I've never tried this with discus less than 3", it might be too much for younger ones. I've also caught the diseases earlyish about the time one would start staring at the corner all day or perhaps start to darken but never beyond that it might be too much for a fish that has taken to laying on the bottom, which could be a symptom of environmental stress and have nothing to do with illness. ( I had a friends discus all lay on the bottom and after a lot of detective work found out it was because they were getting a new roof put on thier house and the discus could stand the vibration from above!) Anyway I've treated Hole in the head and tapeworms this way with great success. Just my 2 cents. It's like giving your discus a fever, just like we get when we're sick...
    Thanks aquariumlover. Because I am unsure of what this is, I was a bit worried of raising the temp to 90's. Right now he is in 84.
    Would 90's potentially cause more bacteria to develop, if this is bacterial?
    val

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    why would you treat this fish with Metro? Furan-2 is for esternal infections, this fish has an internal swim bladder issue. Only a couple of meds that should have even been considered. kanamycin is your best chance, unless your willing to go for the injectables.

Rick
    Thanks Rick, I was advised to try metro first. I went with it. Rick, I can only grab kanaplex. What dosage would you recommend for that?
    Fish is in 20g quarantine, I can lower water to 10g and hopefully save some money as I know ill need to dose a whole lot of the kanaplex.
    val

Chris

The black bar across the eye will not change but eye color would change. Even on BD, her eyes went from bright red to dark brown(almost black). When I saw this on her, she is a gonner. BT was doing the same thing. His eyes changed to dark brown.

Observation, observation. Pay attention to your fish on their good days. When they get sick you'll notice the differences in them from their good old days.

Unless your have more fish than you could count but for most ppl, there should not be an issue.

Val

Observation is the key. You own the fish, you'll know your fish better.

Here's the link for the med

http://www.petsandponds.com/scripts/search.asp

Vern Archer suggests 360 mg of Kanaplex (2 scoops per 3 gal). This equals to 1200 mg per 10 gl. Don and Rick will chime in if they think it's not enough.

HTH

Val

When you have some time explore this site:

http://www.archersdiscus.com/disease_21.html

Val

Observation is the key. You own the fish, you'll know your fish better.

Here's the link for the med

http://www.petsandponds.com/scripts/search.asp

Vern Archer suggests 360 mg of Kanaplex (2 scoops per 3 gal). This equals to 1200 mg per 10 gl. Don and Rick will chime in if they think it's not enough.

HTH
    I'm not on my computer at the moment so I can't do a proper search, but I'm pretty sure the recommended dosage per Noga (maybe) is ballpark 300 mg per gallon. Don't quote me on that though. If you search my user name and kanamyacin it should turn up.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Real Name
    Rick

Not a big fan of kanaplex terrilbly expensive for what you get. For 100 % kanamycin the dosage is as follows:

Dose at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons. Re-treat every 48 hours for 10 days. Do a minimum 25% water change before each retreatment.

Kanamycin Sulfate is one of the only antibiotics that is easily absorbed through the skin, so is frequently used for internal problems. It's an aminoglycoside that works on many gram negative and some gram positive bacteria. Especially good for aerobic gram negative bacteria like columnaris. It works well in saltwater and higher pH. Combines well with Nitrofurazone or Bifuran. Some prefer to make an ultra broad spectrum treatment for bacteria, by combining Kanamycin Sulfate, Bifuran and Metronidazole

your going to have to adjust the kanaplex dosage to make up for the fact it is only 40% kanamycin. In extreme cases you can double the dosage to 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast