ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hiding Sponge Filters

Registered Member

Default Hiding Sponge Filters

I have 2 sponge filters in my 125 gallon tank that I really don't like looking at them. I bought 2 artificial rocks to cover them up. Now the question is, should I just open the top or open the top & drill holes on the rear so there's water flowing inside the rock? What would be best? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hiding Sponge Filters

Covering them up is not a good idea. Better to hide them behind something. They need water flow from all sides to work properly.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by krazqban76 View Post
    I have 2 sponge filters in my 125 gallon tank that I really don't like looking at them. I bought 2 artificial rocks to cover them up. Now the question is, should I just open the top or open the top & drill holes on the rear so there's water flowing inside the rock? What would be best? Thanks in advance.
    Buy breeding cones from barb and put them in front....

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Covering them up is not a good idea. Better to hide them behind something. They need water flow from all sides to work properly.
    +1
    -Zach

Real Name
    Mauro

My experience: I have learned always to make maintenance easier. In the beginning I also did not like the look of sponge filters and tried to hide them behind driftwood and what not. It was a pain to have access to the sponges to clean them periodically. Now I just put a breeding cone in front them, as suggested by Zach. And as Liz says, their performance might be affected by limiting water access to them.

There are several videos in YouTube where explain how to hidde sponge filters with plants; the idea is cover the sponge with little branches.

I have not done, but maybe it can works. The problem is you should to remove periodically the branches.