AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Do Stylaria lacustris or any other tubifex worms relatives pose threat to fish?

Default Do Stylaria lacustris or any other tubifex worms relatives pose threat to fish?

After moving a tank today, I refilled it I saw a bunch of these http://eol.org/pages/620607/overview Mine are a slightly different variant which I found a page on and then lost. Basically the same just different swimming style. They are in the tubifex family. Obviously we feed them larger tubifex worms, but I just want to make sure they don't have any nasty relatives. These are about 2mm in length btw. The spikes and little hook end freaked me out when I first put them under the microscope! I tried to find information about what these things eat, or if they are a danger to fish but I couldn't find any.
    Last edited by mee; 07-02-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Default Re: Do Stylaria lacustris or any other tubifex worms relatives pose threat to fish?

I also meant to add.. Are there any nasty parasites that look very similar to these worms? I have good eyes and a decent microscope, but just web images to compare with what I see.

Default Re: Do Stylaria lacustris or any other tubifex worms relatives pose threat to fish?

I stumped the band ?

they are harmless. you can get rid of them most times with qc. dose for 2 days then repeat in a week. sometimes a repeat will be needed a few weeks later. if you have municipal water from a reservoir they may keep coming back.
    Jim

Thanks for the response jimg, good to know. Just as an experiment I dosed the empty tank with allot of salt and raised the temp to about 100. The other critters went down quick, the tubifex worms seem unphased. I don't mind them and I am sure when I get some fry they can help keep their numbers down.