ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring Leopard is sick

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Default Classic Leopard is sick

Classic Leopard is look dark, always hiding

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    It's been for 1-2 weeks now that I been noticing this leopard is always hiding, did not eat much and the color is getting dark.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Dark, not eating, darting, hiding.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I have not treat with anythung

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    It's used to be in 56 gallons but I just moved it to 29 gallons with 5 other small fishes.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Water change 50-60% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank been running for few months now and it used to be Sand but i moved to 29 gallons BB

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No, I don't age my water and my PH is stable around 7.2

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __85.6___

- ph __7.2___

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _10___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____yes

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Sorry the tank is dirty have not clean it yet....
    Last edited by JOSNNGUYEN; 07-07-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Josh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Default Re: Ring Leopard is sick

Sorry, actually is Classic Leopard not Ring Leopard. Thanks
    Josh

Any other filter beside sponge filter? Look like many fish in 29G

First thing you need to do is change your water, remove all leftover food
    Ryan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Thanks Ryan. I am doing wc right now. I am currently having 2 sponges filter do you think I need to get more filter?
    Josh

Need to clean those sponge filters too ... 2 sponge filters take some room in 29G tank, and you have way too many fish ... If you have many fish you need hanging over filter, it helps a lot
    Ryan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

I just added another hob filter. I don't have a hospital tank right now so it staying with little small fishes until I can get a small tank for itself. It look so dark than usual I just not sure what is going on
    Josh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Josh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Hi guys I want to treat it with maracyn but can I still do wc daily or I have to wait until I finish the dosages? Thanks
    Josh

J:

Why do want to treat it with Maracyn? Is the tank sitting on the floor? Is this your new arrival? Check to see if he's breathing with both gills and no bloated tummy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Yes the tank is couple inches off the floor. I really can't tell it's bloating or not but he is breathing with both gills but his breathing rapidly and always stand in the corner. I did not see him eat much. Getting dark everyday. I had him for few months now. He was fine and this is just started few weeks ago. I don't know what to do so I just try to treat with maracyn and hope it will work
    Josh

maracyn is not a very good antibiotic, probably the least effective there is. Would you like to know what med. might be better or are you committed to maracyn? I for one feel like that is a very bad path to go down.
    --Don--

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

I definitely need you guys help because I don't have any experience with fish being sick before. I just don't know what to do at this point so that is why I want to use maracyn to see if it work. But I rather to listen to the expert first. Thanks
    Josh

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

If I were you I would leave the meds alone for right now and concentrate on doing 2 WC's per day of about 99%.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

Thank you John I will do that hopefully it will help. Thanks guys
    Josh

Well there could be 2 things going on:

1) It could be an internal infection that would require an antibiotic like kanamyacin or kana mixed with furan-2. If the fish is not bloated and does not have issues with swimming then this is probably not the case.

2) It could be internal parasites, probably not tape worms as the fish is not eating. So could be flagelletes and metro for 10 days would be treatment. What does its poop look like?

I'm thinking it is the second. If it were my fish I would treat with metro powder (100g from kensfish or angelsplus is $13 or so) for 10 days. Every day do a near complete water change and redose the full amount. While you are waiting for the meds I would be doing daily 95% water changes and add 1 tsp. epsom salts per 5 gallons as it can't hurt and may help.

Just my opinion, this is what I would do if they were my fish. Others may have an opinion too so we will see if anyone else weighs in.

Edit: John's advice is very good, clean water can do wonders. You can skip the epsom salts and do what John says but I would still order the metro in case it is needed
    --Don--

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast