ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do discus jump?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Do discus jump?

For me it comes down to the tank. Is it a nice expensive rimless? Im going with yes since its 110gal. Why are you going to cover it, lose that rimless look, and basically lose that money you invested into a rimless tank for an at most $250 fish? You could of gotten a standard tank with a rim and covered it for a lot less. you bought a rimless because you wanted a rimless tank. Sorry but the tank wins. I spent hundreds on my 100gal starphire rimless, ill be damned if I'm going to cover it up....I can replace a fish.

That's my mindset. I've had a few fish carpet surf but I've still yet to cover my tanks lol.
    -Matt

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Just wondering something here. If a person has a rimless tank, they are beautiful, and has floating plants like wisteria, water lettuce, or even duckweed, covering the whole water top, bright light hanging over it of course, would this keep discus from jumping out? And yes, they sure do jump!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Matt

I don't think it will stop it Barb. I've actually seen some of the instances when a fish jumps out of my tank and its more of the fish being scared and freaking out and the only place to go is up and out because its not a glass wall. I don't believe discus jump to jump, there seems to always be a reason for it jumping. Stressed, scared, freaking out etc. So I'm not sure in that case you really are cutting down on the chances other than maybe providing a happier home for the fish.
    -Matt

There is always the option that you uncover it while you are around and put some egg crate divider type material over it when you are away, like night time (usually when mine jump) and if you are at work.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

Some of the high bodies look like bluegill when they're mature. All big, fat, round and hunky. Jumpers, huh? They might be fun on some ultra light tackle and eat good to boot.

post-it note posted for future ref.

Luckily I haven't had any discus jump before, but I have had other fish jump. A Golden Wonder Killie was able to fit through a hole in the hood and we couldn't find it for weeks! I did find it though, all dried up.I know that many fish are able to jump but they don't do it very often.

I like hoods on my tank because it looks nicer, but floating plants would look cool. Barb, I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised if a discus had the guts to jump through some floating plants, although I haven't had any experience.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

If you can't get good cover with a hood or plate glass use Saran Wrap for what is left open.

Registered Member

Mine are trained to jump on command--Before they jump the ask me "How Hi"? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JERRYKEVIN View Post
    Mine are trained to jump on command--Before they jump the ask me "How Hi"? LOL
    HAHA!!!

I think big adults don't get freaked out as much as much as juvies. My big adults are unfazed when i put a siphon in the tank and move it around, it's the smaller fishes that get very jumpy.

If rimless no cover, adults in a planted with some floating plants will do nicely. There is still a possibility of jumping, but the bigger the fish the less likely from what i've seen.

Although they are not jumpers like arowanas but they do jump sometimes so either you leave a few inches or have it covered...
    -Byron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12