AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes ain't NO JOKE!

Default Diabetes ain't NO JOKE!

My brother was out of sorts two weeks ago.. he thought he had hemorrhoids.. and had no bowel movement for 9 days.. tuesday, he was saying he was hyperventilating..
    wed. morning, not sure how he got up.. but he came into bathroom while i was in shower.. he was trying to have BM.. he speech was getting more slurred as the days progressed.. until that morning.. he was only like making groaning sounds.. not talking.. after a few awkward moments.. i got out of bathroom..
    went to my office, where i work for my father.. i told him.. it was really bad.. and we should take him to a clinic *he has no health insurance, and neither to do i, work has been slow at our office, and it was dropped to help keep company going*
    when i got home.. he was still standing in bathroom.. his eyes were glazed and he was drooling.. still only groaning instead of talking to me when i ask questions.. i realized, i could not get him to move.. much less get him downstairs into my truck by myself.. called dad.. he came over.. and we both realized... 911 was only option..

fast forward.. he was diagnosed with Diabetes.. blood sugar was 866!! normal is like 100.. two days was he was just in and out.. barely able to talk.. he had 5 drip lines!!!!

finally yesterday.. he was WAY BETTER.. able to talk and converse clearly.. but still a little weak.. BUT out of ICU!!
    i had no idea about diabetes.. and all the warning signs were there.. we just missed them *he is also my roommate*.. i did not think he would make it.. and thank god he came out of room by shear will .. i would have gone work and NOT known that his condition was bad.. and would get worse!!!

he will make it.. just wanted to update/vent alittle.. thanks for reading..

skip
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Diabetes ain't NO JOKE!

Skip, you guys were lucky and thank God your bother is ok. My husband is diabetic and has had several times when his blood suger fell below 50. The lowest I know of is 27. After calling 911 a few times I learned the danger signs and could recover him myself if I could get help. Learn these signs too. I have saved my husband's life more than once.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

pat.. it was the scariest thing i have ever seen.. he was still talking and aware on tuesday night.. by morning.. yikes!!

i need to research this thing.. and i need to check myself.. !!

he needs to change his eating.. he does not know how to cook.. and food is either fast food, take out.. or packages from convenience store.. so it will be very hard for him to adjust.. but he has too, if he wants to live
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

Skip, it can be controlled by food only but often required meds. Yes, very scary. When the blood suger drops below 50 the general thought is people lose the ability to think. This is true from personal experience. Also the ability to take action is lost. Signs are being glassy eyed, will verbally response to questions but not take action and lose of coodination. Once a person's blood suger returns to normal they will not recall what happened during the low blood suger episode. Scary, scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Skip, it can be controlled by food only but often required meds. Yes, very scary. When the blood suger drops below 50 the general thought is people lose the ability to think. This is true from personal experience. Also the ability to take action is lost. Signs are being glassy eyed, will verbally response to questions but not take action and lose of coodination. Once a person's blood suger returns to normal they will not recall what happened during the low blood suger episode. Scary, scary stuff.
    exactly!! but my brother was running super HIGH.. 866 is just nuts!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Skip sorry to hear about your brother. I went through something similar with my dad, specially cause he is stubborn. He didnt want to admit that he has diabetes, until he got really sick and his sugar level went sky high. At least now he takes his medicine and eats a little better. My brother tries to help him out and tries to help him out in what he can eat because he also has it. By the way you should check yourself out and see if you have it as well so you can take better care of yourself.
    Walter

NADA MEMBER

Registered Member

Glad to hear your brother is doing better. 866 is un-real. I did not think it could get that high. True, Diabetes is no joke. It can be a silent killer. It runs on my Dads side of the family, and have lose several Uncles to it...but not before the usual amputating of limbs because of it. I have had it myself for sometime. I just got over 5 by-pass heart surgery because of it. Also the numbness/tingling in the feet/toes is no fun as well. It damages your kidneys, can cause blindness... Everything heals slowly...sometimes not at all, and thats where amputation comes in. Yes it's no joke. It is hereditary, so would be a good idea for you to get checked out...and make sure your brother does what he has to to control it. All the best

Real Name
    Pat

Bill, my husband is experiencing the slow healing. So far he is doing well in other areas. Hope your recovery is going well.

thanks guys!!>. yes.. i am concerned for myself also, i am totally going to check myself also
    i knew this was widespread. but i did not have any first hand experience on this..
    i want to keep all my toes!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I can top 27 Pat, I had a 20 about a month ago. Unusual sweating is also a warning sign on the low end of the spectrum.

Good thing you took action Skip, I'm guessing at 866 your brother wasn't long for this world without it.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Pat

Keith, at 27 Tom was incoherent. Take care of yourself please.

Registered Member

Skip,
    sorry to hear about your brother. Glad to hear that he is improving. I have diabetes for 2 years now. He will need to be real careful with what he eats. He should monitor his sugar a couple of times a day (glucometer). Fast foods is a definite no no. Also carbs (breads) will spike your sugar. Exercise also helps in reducing glucose levels. A good starting point in learning about diabetes id www.dlife.com. It's an easy sight, and has some good recipes. For me one of the key tricks is to keep your sugar level as stable as possible. Trust me, in the beginning it is a little overwhelming, but with time, experience, knowledge, and most of all a lot of discipline and will power diabetes can be managed successfully.

much health and success to your brother,
    George

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Keith, at 27 Tom was incoherent. Take care of yourself please.
    I wasn't any better. Having had it for 45+ years sometimes the odds of getting low just catch up to you. I once had a endocronologist tell me there are 100 things that affect blood sugar and if you can control 10 of them you're doing good.
    President - North American Discus Association

happy to hear he's doing well skip
    - Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    happy to hear he's doing well skip
    he is for now.. i guess.. until he gets the uninsured MEDICAL BILL!!! BAM!! Heart attack!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast