ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Planted tank idea, 55g community w/ 2 adults, advice?

Registered Member

Default Planted tank idea, 55g community w/ 2 adults, advice?

For starters, I've had multiple successful planted, freshwater tanks. Very familiar with basic research facts about discus. I've been reading the forum and website for a few hours and I have decided on what I would like to do from what I've learned. I've had previous interest with Discus before so I lot of light research has been done in the past, but I was always had the impression that they are the crown jewel of the freshwater world but the heavy upkeep is what makes them all the more special.

With that being said, I am trying to redo my 55g as a planted display tank in my new home. I just moved and have a nice dining room that I would love to have some discus in. I am beginning med school in a month so I want to go about it the expensive way in just outright adding adults to an established tank. I wanted to know if it would be feasible to have a pair of adult discuss added to an established community tank with compatible tankmates such as cories, nerite snails, amano shrimp, dwarf gouramis, german rams, probably another algae eater for maintenance reasons. and maybe some tetras. Obviously my plant selection will be a bit more limited as I plan to look at low-mid light plants that can tolerate 82-84F.

I want to start with adults since they can get by on 1-2 feedings a day and the lower bioload they provide so I can do 50-75% changes once a week if I have a good plant cover. Or if just 1 adult will allow this schedule. Planning on using sand substrate for the cories and easier cleanup in the front part of the tank. I would like to invest in an under cabinent refugium filter system to nearly eliminate water changes, but I have little to no experience besides research although I have a lot of plant experience. Realistically, I am thinking of a basic cannister and maybe one HOB filter that are specified for 50-80 gallon ranges. In all my years of planted tanks I have never had a tank have anything beyond very low nitrogen levels. As I tend to focus on the plants health and water quality rather than how many fish I have in the tank.

Any feedback would be great since I am starting to plan out the budgeting and timetable for the next 6 months if this is doable to make it happen.

Default Re: Planted tank idea, 55g community w/ 2 adults, advice?

Quick answer,1 adult,no,they are a schooling fish,better 5-6.55 to small for that many plus everything else,so the way to go would be a mated pair,but that might be bigger $ then you planned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

Welcome to SD! If you look for a thread something like 'my 90 gal planted tank obsession' the poster has a 90 gal tank where they have kept a pair of adults.... it is a stunning tank... and stunning fish.... Amanos.... they may turn into snacks for the discus..... I have seen my dwarf gourami get really aggressive in my non-discus tank. Don't want to risk keeping a 3$ fish with 300$
    Look for threads with stuff on algae eaters. Most will get a liking for discus slime, including otos.
    Good luck with the setup!
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

You could get away with a proven pair in a 55....or you could get a 90+ and get 6 or so.

Good luck.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashtricks View Post
    Welcome to SD! If you look for a thread something like 'my 90 gal planted tank obsession' the poster has a 90 gal tank where they have kept a pair of adults.... it is a stunning tank... and stunning fish.... Amanos.... they may turn into snacks for the discus..... I have seen my dwarf gourami get really aggressive in my non-discus tank. Don't want to risk keeping a 3$ fish with 300$
    Look for threads with stuff on algae eaters. Most will get a liking for discus slime, including otos.
    Good luck with the setup!

Yeah, I think I will have to go with more snails for algae and cleaning up the leftover foods. Amanos are a lot bigger at least the ones I have raised and they hide in the larger tanks really well but if they become food then $3 live food and I'll have to adjust based on extra food and the leftovers. I was thinking otos are so small and skiddish from my other tanks that they wouldn't latch onto the discus but I guess I'll pass on the algae eaters.

I'm glad that a pair does work, I know its always depending on the fish but I have a mom and pop shop that has isolated tanks and keeps them in pairs, so that was where I got the 2 idea since they are already together and they are already acclimated for the higher pH and hardness being raised in local water. I am not looking for 7-8in show beauties, I'm happy with 5-6in leftovers honestly. When I'm done with school I plan to run a refugium tank with a dozen or so discus once I have the funds to get the necessary equipment.

Registered Member

As you are going to focus on the plants discus might not be for you. Jeff

Having a proven pair or a pair that are used to each other without bullying may work.

A refugium does not eliminate water changes, although in an adult pair with nitrates below 5 you can get away with weekly water changes.