ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Size Advice

Registered Member

Default Tank Size Advice

Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on tank size.

I went to a few LFS in the area and saw two tanks that are possibilities. One is a 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H) and the other is a 135 gallon (72LX18WX24H). My first thought was to get the 180 gallon tank, but then on second thought, I started imaging how much water I'd have to change. I'm not really sure what to think right now. I'd love to hear everyone's perspective on tank size, and which one you'd go for.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob

Default Re: Tank Size Advice

i am an absolute beginner to discus, my first year ! all going great so far - however, i WISH i could find 180 g or even 135 near me been looking for months, without spending over $1000 from lfs a couple of towns over even, so i just have to say if you CAN get bigger and its affordable , do it, do it now !!!!!

WC - i hear ya, but honestly either of those sizes would be heaven so congrats in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Discus View Post
    Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on tank size.

I went to a few LFS in the area and saw two tanks that are possibilities. One is a 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H) and the other is a 135 gallon (72LX18WX24H). My first thought was to get the 180 gallon tank, but then on second thought, I started imaging how much water I'd have to change. I'm not really sure what to think right now. I'd love to hear everyone's perspective on tank size, and which one you'd go for.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob

WC will depend on your stock levels, I am guessing if your going larger tank you are going to put adults in 4.5 inch and bigger or thats what you need to put in it. With good filteration you should not have to do huge WC's. I would go with the 180, I like the height of it and you can get more discus!! Give alot of thought on filteration that will be key.. Get it established and cycled and have tons of fun setting it up, thats the best part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Registered Member

Water changes are not that bad if you have adult discus. Smaller changes less often than fry Discus. Consider on the 180 you probably cannot reach the bottom to clean or do anything due to 32" height. If it is bare bottom maybe less problem. If you place it somewhere where you do not have direct access to the rear glass you cannot clean that well either. BUT bigger is better!!

I have a 110 gallon that height and yes it is alittle harder to reach the bottom, I have PFS sub. and I put in a 3D background so no cleaning the back But nothing like the height, love it and cleaning the bottom is not too bad, have to get a chair and I am 6'1" but only takes about 5 minutes to syphon the bottom so no big deal... go for it.....
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Please keep them coming, I'm sure there's a lot to consider that I'm not thinking about right now.

Musicmarn1 - I know what you mean about availability. I lived up in the Vail area for a while. Talk about remote! Every time you needed something, the nearest store that had what you wanted was 110 miles away, in each direction, and you had to drive over 12000 ft mountains to get there.

Elliots - Yes I was thinking about the depth as well. I was wondering what that would do to lighting. I didn't think about cleaning the bottom, now that you mention it. LOL

Troysdiiscus - When I was looking at the tank, the extra height is what I liked as well. I see you are using PFS, I was thinking of doing that too. How do you like it overall? How deep of a bed did you go with? For filtration I think I'm going to go with a 55 gallon tank and make a sump, with a trickle tower and refugium, with miracle mud. Of course I'm still just doing my homework and planning things out. But so far that's what's running around in my head.

I appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks a lot!

Get 180 but 6x2x2'. Way better than those two.

My vote goes to 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H)

And for the cleaning there are magnets and long brush available
    -Ismael

Real Name
    Tim Allen

If that is all you have to pick from I would go the 72LX18WX24H as it still has the same surface area of the 32"H for oxygen absorbtion ect. Depanding on what you are doing with it the only benifit of the extra height would be viewing. I would more consider what Dkeef is saying a 6 x 2 x 2 or even 20"H is what I have for pairing my discus and is a good height.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

I too am new to discus. I am setting up a new 190 gallon, 60X24X30 tall, 3 sides starfire with a 40 gallon sump. I wanted the height. I have a question. What is a PFS sub?

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    Get 180 but 6x2x2'. Way better than those two.
    +1

24H is the max I would ever consider way easier to clean. No matter how many brushes magnets etc. there is nothing better than good old sponge in hand.
    Last edited by Poco; 07-13-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Babar

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

My first large tank was an acrylic 180 at 6x2x2 and I love this size. Now I have a 6x2x30 inch which is a 230 and it is harder to clean but the discus love the height.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_K View Post
    What is a PFS sub?
    Pool filter sand substrate
    -Ismael

180 gallon. Buy a python for easily waterchanges

Registered Member

Second Hand Pat- Since you had the shorter tank, and now the taller tank, how do you feel about it. Is it a big difference as far as cleaning is concerned?

Another thought I had was about drilled tanks. Has anyone ever had their tank drilled, so they could have a drain for water changes. This way you attach a hose or pipe, turn the valve and drain away?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast