ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Holy Soft Water: pH crash

Default Holy Soft Water: pH crash

So it has been rainy here, really rainy and does not look like it will let up any time soon. Normally our water is soft, GH=0-1, KH=1-2 and TDS is around 80 ppm or so (water from the hudson river). My fish have been acting funny the past few days and this morning I saw my BGK was shedding some slime, never saw that before. I normally never test pH but after my other tests were fine I checked really quick with the API test and it was yellow, normally it is green/blue (pH=6.8-7.0), so I used a pH strip and it looked somewhere around 4 or 5! I pulled out a pH meter and calibrated it and it was not giving a reliable reading in the tank or my tap, normally I see this in the lab with distilled water. Then I checked the GH and KH and they were reacting after one drop was added. Finally I dug up my TDS tester and calibrated that and wowsers, my TDS was 19 ppm out of the tap and 23 ppm in the tank! So I did a water change and added some baking soda to raise the KH to 3 and added a GH booster to raise the GH to 2, then I added some salt to get the TDS to around 120-130ppm.

pH is around 7.2 now and the fish are noticeably better. I've never had to add anything to my discus water in the past until now. I'm a bit stressed because I'm going away for 3 weeks at the end of the month to take a graduate physics course and my wife is taking care of the fish. I was planning on her doing weekly water changes (she won't do daily like I do) and feeding sparingly. I've often left my tank for a week at a time but never this long. I'm going to keep an eye on my water more closely now and figure out a plan for my wife when I'm gone (she's going to love that LOL!).

I'm guessing I need to get an all in one remineralizer, I'm guessing either Kent or the Seachem. Maybe I will just make my own. Glad I caught things in time!
    --Don--

Default Re: Holy Soft Water: pH crash

Don,
    I just saw this, good thing you caught that before it really crashed. Instead of a remineralizer, I think what you could use is something to add KH.. The easiest and cheapest way to do that in a long term fashion is to add a small amount crushed coral to your filter... I run it in all my tanks here as I have no KH. Try a cup per 50 gals water in a nylon stocking and see how your pH does....if its too high cut it back. 1-2 cups here in a 75 gal keeps my ph in the low 7's on all my grow outs. Let me know if you need more info .

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Al yes crushed coral might be the ticket. I'm setting up an internal moving bed filter that I could put the coral in there too. Its amazing how the fish have bounced back like nothing happened. I think it goes to show the importance of having a full array of water tests and to let your fish's behavior be a sign of problems with water quality.
    --Don--

Just got a bag of crushed coral hopefully this will solve my issues and be easier than adding baking soda every water change. Water is still 0 KH and GH.
    --Don--

Let us know your results Don as I see this as an interesting situation.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Let us know your results Don as I see this as an interesting situation.
    Will do, I got the carib sea crushed coral with argonite as I found it for cheap. If this does not work I will probably roll my own remineralizer as I have access to pretty much any bicarbonate/carbonate and also have a bunch of MgSO4, CaSO4 and K2SO4. I also have plaster of paris which will raise KH and GH. Hopefully the coral will work though as I am going away for 3 weeks on the 20th and the wife is only going to do weekly water changes with 1 daily feeding of FDBWs.
    --Don--

OK so my tap measures:

pH = 7.1
    KH = 0-1 degrees
    GH = 0-1 degrees

I added 2 cups of Carib Sea Geo Marine Aragonite Formula Crushed Florida Coral and put it in a media bag inside my moving bed filter. After a complete water change and waiting about an hour here are my parameters:

pH = 7.3
    KH = 2 degrees
    GH = 0-1 degrees

I will update this thread for the next 4 days with parameters (if I can go that long without a water change LOL!). This is a dry run for when I leave my wife in charge for 3 weeks doing weekly water changes.
    Last edited by lipadj46; 07-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    --Don--

KH went up.......keep us updated, I would think it should continue over the next day or two...good luck...
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

So this morning:

pH=7.0
    GH=1
    KH=2

I added another cup making it 3 cups total. I also vacuumed up some poop and added back about 5 gallons, couldn't help myself.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

So day 3:
    PH=7
    GH=1-2
    KH=2

So I think this should work fine for when I am away

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--