ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Current community advice

Registered Member

Default Current community advice

All,

I wanted to run my current set up with you all and see if I have the room for any more discus and if the current set up I have is going to be sustainable, long term, for my discus tank. It is strictly set up for the entertainment of my family and I intend on keeping them (the fish that is, the family is still debatable).

My tank is a 150 tall that measures 48"x24"x30". I have 4 discus in it right now that range from 3"-4". I also have 2 green corys, one peppered cory, 12 black neons, 9 regular neons, 5 glow light tetras and 1 clown loach. I know that the regular neons probably won't last that long but I mainly used them to condition the tank before I introduced the discus. I do have quite a few plants in there but don't plan on completely covering it up with them. I would really like to have 8-10 discus in the tank but want to know if this set up has the room to house them all. Please let me know what you think.

My filtration system is a rainbow/lifeguard unit. I have the chemical and mechanical cylinders. In the chemical unit, I have peat moss and the mechanical unit is filled with Ehfisubstrat. The filter pumps into a double bio-wheel set up.

I just want to make sure I can get away with having 8-10 discus.

Registered Member

Default Re: Current community advice

You do not say how often or how much water you change. With a reasonable water change plan you could possibly go to 15 Discus! 8-10 should be no problem. Also you Cardinals may or may not disappear quickly. You never know about them.

Registered Member

I do about 40% once per week.

40% I say you could go up to 8 discus...regarding your cardinal tetras I have a 10G plant tank with 6 cardinals for almost 2 yrs already and still look fine and shiny

B
    -Byron

If you want healthy discus, I'd go for 40% w/c at least 3 times a week until they're a bit older. Depending on how active your neons are, when the discus get bigger(6"-7") they will probably get eaten. If they're a fast group, they'll probably be able to escape.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

I appreciate everyone's feedback but just so I'm clear, I don't have cardinals, I have regular neons. I can do more water changes if necessary, just don't know if what I have now would require more. Back when I kept them before, I only did about 40% every two weeks and had 4 adults in a 45 gallon tank and had them for several years. I don't mind the changes because they're quites easy with my current set up.

BTW, this website is awesome!!

Ok. With adults, you don't have to do as many water changes as juvies, but you should probably do more than once a week.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb