AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generators, what brand and model do you use?

Default Generators, what brand and model do you use?

Hi all, Ryan and I just re-organized the technical sections to make it a little easier to find things of interest..

I think a discussion of generators is very important, since so much hinges on electricity in this hobby...

Please share what you use for generators and why you chose the ones you did? Also what do you like most about it and what is problematic.

thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Default Re: Generators, what brand and model do you use?

Well I don't have a generator but I do use a power inverter that is hooked to a marine battery at all times. My battery is always being charged by a trickle charger and my inverter is hooked on that. My air supply is plugged into the inverter so when or if I lose power my air supply will never go out. My battery will keep my tanks going for 6 to 8 hours before I lose all of my charge. This is very quiet and you can't even hear it running. This is my backup system without spending a lot of money.
    Scott

Registered Member

Check out the Honda generator, its great but pricey.

Cliff

Honda Blackmax 8450 max watt, 6750 running, model GX390 , OHV engine (portable) Purchased at Costco.
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Registered Member

I was going to buy one of the Honda super-silenced, lightweight models but most of the used ones available are too small for what I wanted.
    I picked up this Yamaha Diesel electric start on eBay very cheap. Its 5kVA so I will also be able to run the house as well as the fish.
    Will have to put it on wheels as it is very heavy.
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had to pick up a Craftsman model 6300 with 9100W max and 6300W continuous. Electric or manual start. Thing is a lifesaver.

Registered Member

I have a Baldor PC-40H
    It's a 4000 watt Industrial generator with a Commercial 8 hp Honda engine, It’s rated for 3500 watt continuously output.
    During our last big power outage I ran it for about 18 hours a day for three days! I paid around $1,000 for it five years ago & it’s been well worth the money! When I bought it there were are a lot of generators out there under $1.000 & even at a higher wattage, But the thing that sold me on the Baldor was that it came with a 3 year Commercial Warrantee.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I have a 1800 watt Coleman. The Hondas are quieter but more expensive. I also have several inverter/battery's. I use the inverters for power outage. (quiet and simple) I will use the generator if we ever have a long (24 hour +) outage.
    I also have a ventless heater in the livingroom and portable LP heater for the fish room. This takes some of the load of the inverters in the winter by keeping the room temperature high enough so the tank heaters don't run to much. Don T.

Registered Member

I am restocking my discus tank now, and I have decided to get a portable generator. In case I do lose power, I will have to conserve on what appliances I use. I can only afford a small generator, I am going to get the, ETQ Portable Generator — 2250 Watts, Model# TG17M41. I know I won't be able to use all of the equipment I have on my tanks, I probably won't be able to use my lights much, as they are real power hogs, and I will probably only be able to use my canister filter and one power head, and of course have my heaters pumping out the heat. I will then hope and pray that the power outage is short lived. I live in Western North Carolina, in the mountains, and we lose power pretty regular down here. I would hate to just not to be unable to do anything while my fish die, not only are discus expensive, but I have already started to form a bond with them.

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Around here, everyone has a generator (hurricanes...). A 5,000 watt generator will keep a fish room going, figure about $500-600 for an average one. You'll usually get about 10-12 hours on a tank of gas. Please only use the generator outside, death by CO poisoning is a very real possibility for fish and fishkeepers.

To conserve, turn off lights, the fish won't mind. Air-powered filters will use less energy too. You can ease off filtration and increase water changes to further cut power needs. Remember to keep a refrigerator going for any fish food. And beer.

Jeff

Registered Member

I received one of these last week-

http://www.amazon.com/PG30P11-4-Cycl...4071775&sr=1-3

It was $50 cheaper when I ordered it, and we already had Amazon Prime shipping. It arrived in good shape, but I had to furnish my own oil, and it was definitely hard to start this first go-round. The instructions aren't really very good, being a rather poor translation from Chinese. Unless you're pretty burly, you'll want help carrying it. It makes electricity and is stashed in the shed, for now. I need to fab a way to get it hooked to the breaker panel, maybe put in a little concrete pad and enclosure near the panel so I won't have to move it if I need it, cast a piece of chain in the concrete to lock it down...

I went with the LPG model because the stuff stores indefinitely, and we always have a bottle or two for the BBQ. Gonna contact the manufacturer, see if it can be converted to natural gas for future reference...

I found the Honda 2000 to be very reliable and a real lifesaver.
    I've already used it once this year.
    Definitely a lifesaver.

As I was expanding my fish room, in the era
    B.G. (Before Generator), a storm knocked out power for five days. I lost everything except a few magical Stendkers, who were laying eggs as the snow blew and the water temp plummeted in our tanks. Never again.
    Best fishes,
    Mary Sweeney
    http://www.amazonasmagazine.com
    mary.sweeney@reef2rainforest.com

I use a Honda 2500. Ditto on the warning about keeping it outside to avoid CO poisoning.

Also, a word of caution to all generator users - make sure to use a gasoline additive. I had not used my generator for about 10 months when we had a huge snowstorm and we lost power for several days. My generator would not start. When I took it to the repair shop later the verdict was: BAD GAS. They drained the gas and got it running again. Now I run it monthly for about 10 minutes under a load to make sure it's still in good working condition.

If someone is building a new home, or has the budget for a retrofit, a Generac whole house generator is the way to go. Depending on the size of your home, a 36 or 48 kw unit, powered by a 4 or 6 cylinder LP or natural gas fueled engine, can automatically switch on and run after a power outage, and run indefinitely, powering everything in your home, even AC. My point being, 10 to 15 grand extra added to the cost of your new home is well worth it if you live in a storm prone area. If you have ever went days or weeks without power, being forced out of your own home to live in a motel or with friends or family because of no power, you know exactly what I mean.
    Darrell

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrylln View Post
    I found the Honda 2000 to be very reliable and a real lifesaver.
    I've already used it once this year.
    Definitely a lifesaver.

I also have two Honda 2000 units. They are lightweight, quiet, and can be daisy chained to get more output. Very reliable as long as you drain the carb after use so it doesn't gum up. The carbs are sort of finicky on these units so maintaining is a must. These are manual start units but very easy to start. They won't run a household but could handle the tank filters and heaters.

Ditto on the use the generator outside only!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast