AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HECKEL CROSS DISCUS IN INDIA

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default HECKEL CROSS DISCUS IN INDIA

Is there any breeder or importer of Heckel or Heckel cross discus into India.I have heard that there are few who import them from time to time.Some are crosses with turquoises /giant flora which have the prominent bar in the middle and look beautiful.Could any one having any knowledge in this matter (breeder and/or importer in India) please tell me?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default ARE HECKELS/HECKELS CROSS, WILD DISCUS AVAILABLE IN INDIA

I heard that there are some in India importing Heckel Discus from S.E asia and some are cross breeding them too in India.If any one is aware of any one importing,breeding heckels.wild discus in india please let me know

Default Re: ARE HECKELS/HECKELS CROSS, WILD DISCUS AVAILABLE IN INDIA

Hey Ganesan, just curious to know.. how abt the ph/kh/tds of water in chennai. do u use RO instead?

And how challenging to maintain discus fish over there ?

Real Name
    Zach

You will probably be best off contacting HEKdiscus (Hudson) as I believe he will have best quality and a importer in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    -Zach

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Hey Allwin as far as normal strains are concerned there is no problem in keeping discus in Chennai.I just age the corporation water and do partial W.C and the discus are doing well.Lots of Almond trees in my neighborhood so I use them to acidify the water as well...I have not used R.O water but intend to install one soon and doing some reading.One LFS here has a R.O plant.The pH of corporation water is about 6.7 and tds 250 about in my area.I have well water too and I use them at times esp in summer when corporation water is highly chlorinated.tds of well water is slightly less esp during monsoons and pH is about 6.7.Most people keep Arowanas and Cichlids,Sharks,Loaches,Tetras,mollies,platies,gou ramies,Florans etc here and are bread easily by many breeders.As far as Discus goes there are just a couple who are seriously interested and have had success in keeping leave alone breeding.Customs in Chennai are very strict and many times imported fish from Malaysia,Singapore are sent back straight away in the same flight.We need permission and license from fisheries department and its all complicated.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Hey Allwin by the way you stay in Chicago which can get very cold in winters.I visited MI state in 96 a stayed for a couple of months in winter and god it was snowing so much.I saw a LFS called lurking among the weeds close to where I stayed in grosse pointe woods and he had some discus about 4 inch in length costing about 60 dollars at that time.One of my friends there went to buy some cricket insect for his turtles.It was just across Mac Avenue.

Thanks for the info Ganesan, I'm basically from Tirunelveli. yea, perfect weather and ph for discus keeping in India. And also, inquired the tds in my farm is close to 100(will confirm it again) and almond trees, oh yea helps a lot. Good to see people like u back there getting into discus hobby..Customs are always painful to deal with. Lets catch up someday sometime in Chennai

Quote Originally Posted by ganesan View Post
    Hey Allwin as far as normal strains are concerned there is no problem in keeping discus in Chennai.I just age the corporation water and do partial W.C and the discus are doing well.Lots of Almond trees in my neighborhood so I use them to acidify the water as well...I have not used R.O water but intend to install one soon and doing some reading.One LFS here has a R.O plant.The pH of corporation water is about 6.7 and tds 250 about in my area.I have well water too and I use them at times esp in summer when corporation water is highly chlorinated.tds of well water is slightly less esp during monsoons and pH is about 6.7.Most people keep Arowanas and Cichlids,Sharks,Loaches,Tetras,mollies,platies,gou ramies,Florans etc here and are bread easily by many breeders.As far as Discus goes there are just a couple who are seriously interested and have had success in keeping leave alone breeding.Customs in Chennai are very strict and many times imported fish from Malaysia,Singapore are sent back straight away in the same flight.We need permission and license from fisheries department and its all complicated.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Sure Allwin we can meet in Chennai sometime. My father is from Tirunelveli but we are settled in Chennai.People in Chennai are obscessed with Vastu fish so Florans and arowanas are available in plenty in LFS and hardly 2 to 3 LFS sell discus,strains are inbred so many defects like stunted discus are seen and poor coloring.Most are got from Mumbai,Kolkata to Chennai.I met a LFS in Kolathur in Chennai where tropical fish farm are in plenty and he said that most of the fish imported from S.E asia are caught by customs at anna airport due to tip offs and Discus are left alone.I am not sure about this.I know H&K sends wild discus to India but if customs catch them it will be all a waste.He insists minimum on 3 boxes purchase and sends they via Dubai by Emirates.Surely with all those stickers the Chennai customs are not going to let me get them.So was wondering if any one in Mumbai,Bangalore have contacts for getting in Wilds.

Ones again thanks.. I used to be a frequent visitor to buy fishes from kolathur for atleast 15-20yrs, but not been there for the last 6yrs or so. Just u revoked my memory

I heard from my friend, one person is selling discus in Nagercoil,bit expensive though. If u wanna check with him, i can try getting his contact details,TC..
    Last edited by Allwin; 08-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Kolathur is more famous for its accessories from canisters,water test kits,medications,food etc.They have branded goods in Jbl,API,Eheim,fluval,ocean free..etc.I mainly go there to find some good products.Regarding discus I think the best are from Shiva Nair in Mumbai who breeds them and has several breeding pairs in his hatchery and of late he is importing from discus sanctuary,malaysia and some from tony tan.He mailed me some weeks ago that he plans to import some heckel cross and i am waiting to hear from him.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: HECKEL CROSS DISCUS IN INDIA

Combined the threads again.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default WILD DISCUS FISH

Hey I am looking for importers of wild discus into India or a bunch of hobbyists who club together and import them.Will any one furnish me details.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default WILD DISCUS,HECKELS

Are any body in India looking to sell their wild discus of any strain please do contact me on +91-9884873167 or sms me.

Real Name
    David

Default Re: WILD DISCUS,HECKELS

Is it really necessary to post new threads for this every couple days, instead of bumping one of the other threads you have started that already has multiple replies?

Proper thread placement would be a single thread in the "Hey, I Am Looking For..." subforum.

Good luck in your search.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Re: WILD DISCUS,HECKELS

Sorry Boss I am not a professional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast