ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Tank trouble & Surprise!!!

Default Discus Tank trouble & Surprise!!!

So, I went on my weekend trip to visit family members in Milwaukee. Left on Friday return early Sunday evening. (A normal weekend trip I normally take). No feeding and just big WC before I left on all my tanks. Came back home yesterday to discover my grow-out tanks is in trouble. All by Discus showed signs of stress and clamped fins. Three of my Piwow were very dark and losing lots of it's slime (2 RSG and 1 Cobalt). Without doing anything else I quickly did a large water change 90%, clean the slime off the glass, and feed them their favorite food. They all ate normally. They seem to be less stress after the big WC. This morning I did a 25% WC after feeding. They are now doing much better two of them seems to have recover while one is still lightly dark with stress bar, but acting normally. I'm going to continue with 125% WC daily for the next few days until everything is back to normal in this tank. If the last one doesn't fully recover I will pull him/her to QT and treat her with med. I have a feeling my the water in this tank must had went south. I should have tested my water but my thoughts were to change their water right away first and see how they react to that. I believe my water went south but I'm not sure why it happen.

My other surprise on top of this bad news is a positive news. Two of my Piwow RT I got from Bill from a trade have just started their dance and cleaning the cone. The female had laid eggs before so I separated her with one of my Piwow male (Assuming he's a he). Crossing finger that they can make the loving a success/proven...

Default Re: Discus Tank trouble & Surprise!!!

We have eggs again... this time the possible male is guarding the eggs while the female is busy defending off the other discus. I don't expect much out of this batch but hopefully to wiggle stage just so I have a confirm pair. I will move them over to their own 29 gallon after the test period is over.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Kale, are you sure you have the gender correct? Generally I have seen the male guard and the female fan the eggs. Hope this is a pair for you.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Kale, are you sure you have the gender correct? Generally I have seen the male guard and the female fan the eggs. Hope this is a pair for you.
    They are switching back and forth... when I took that picture it was the male guarding the batch... The female has been guarding it most of the time... Hopefully these two would be confirm in a few days... if not I'm still putting them in the 29 gallon to keep trying until they get it right...

Looking good.Maybe trading PB's for some f1's?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

I'm thinking that you've probably been doing daily w/c's on your grow out tank, and when you left for the weekend maybe the bioload got too much for your bio filter, and ammonia levels increased. You're right, you should have set some of the tank water aside to check before changing it. Hopefully that's all it was.

Real Name
    Christopher G

Hopefully you do get a confirmed pair. Beautiful looking discus

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Looking good.Maybe trading PB's for some f1's?
    Perhaps if I can get that far... crossing finger they will figure it out and I'll have what's needed to breed them and raise the fry...

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I'm thinking that you've probably been doing daily w/c's on your grow out tank, and when you left for the weekend maybe the bioload got too much for your bio filter, and ammonia levels increased. You're right, you should have set some of the tank water aside to check before changing it. Hopefully that's all it was.
    Could be... Next time something like this happen I'll set a side some water to confirm... For now I'm still puzzle as I've never had this issue with any of my tanks while I'm traveling. Also tank is established even with daily WC.

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Hopefully you do get a confirmed pair. Beautiful looking discus
    Crossing Finger & Thank you.