AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: On Using Salt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default On Using Salt

From one of my early disease threads... Andrew Soh views on using salt with discus.

Post 174

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Instead of doing a salt dip I decided to do partly what John Sr (snookn21) suggested. He suggested dosing (normal not epsom) salt at 1 cup per 15 gallons or about a tablespoon per gallon. Last night I dosed half of that ( 2 cups (16 tablespoon per cup) in a 75 (~half tablespoon per gallon) ) and I monitored the tank for a couple hours.

This morning I did not observe a mad dash of the Alenquer and after talking with John just now I will do a full dose for three days starting tonight. Basically treating for externals. I'm hoping for improvement so crossing all body parts. Note that this is being used on wilds.

Also while talking with John he mentioned that he has had discus do exactly what is happening with my fish. A mad dash and dead a few hours later. He has no clue to the cause of this.
    Post 325

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Soh View Post
    Wow...Pat, 3lb (1.5kgs) of salt to 100 liters of water is equivalent to 15ppt......and for 2 weeks? It will definitely kill the chilodonella...and discus included. Chilodonella reproduce through binary fusion and they don't lay eggs.

Back to the topic proper, many ectoparasites in heavy infestation will usually display similar symptoms, hence is extemely difficult to conclude or pin-point the culprit without performing an autopsy....thus having to kill that discus to enrich your understanding.

Before I proceed further, Pat, can you help me to understand your situation better by telling me whether you have any algae eater or sucker in your tank?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Post 330

Oh....my mistake in the gallon and liter thing...ha! ha! ha! Sorry, Pat.

Anyway, though protozoa-infestation cannot be ignored, when it comes to this stage of body-stiffness and unable to right itself, bacterial infection is likely one of the causes. Further to that, te pupil usually seems to be dead which led to my presumption that there is endoparasite infestation and infection.

Common flagellates that can cause this is the blood flagellates cryptobia, trypanosoma or bodomonas. These can go to the brain along the bloodstream and suddenly healthy looking and feasting discus go crazy....whirling and darting and suddenly either float near surface or lie at the bottom of tank....and may die in due time.

Treatment can only be done as prophylactic before symptom shows and when the discus are still happily feasting. That's when they readily ingest medicated food.

Andrew

***Jeff...please don't say that...ha! ha!...and please don't shut-up....everyone's contribution is vital...
    Post 347

Hello Pat,

I thought I have explained both? 1) Whirling and darting and 2) Stiffness of the body which means seizer?

I am confused as to metric and lbs....so just do the dose I recommended and convert it yourself....with whatever brandname metro...... I am sure Jeff can help and recommend.

Yes, you can continue with salt treatment @ 150gms to 200gms per 100 liters of water. That should be sufficient to replenish and prevent dehydration if there is wound and is leaching of salt and the body is depleting salt.. Salt @ above 300gms per 100 liters of water is not good for the discus in long term and may damage their liver.....while 1kg per 100 liters of water, could permanently damage organs or kill young discus in days.

This is because discus spleen carries less than 1.5ppt of salt. That's why they are not brackish water creature. Guppy spleen salinity is 4ppt and that why they are adapted to brackish water and can thrive in salinity of 8 to 10 ppt of salt.
    All the best!

Andrew
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-31-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: On Using Salt

Here's a link to that thread if anyone wants more detail...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...enly+very+sick
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening