ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Stendkers meet New Stendkers!

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: Old Stendkers meet New Stendkers!

Thanks Chris! It definitely has some pizazz this time around. And just wait, I haven't added in my jumbo RT and will possibly be adding a Golden Sunshine who managed to pass the 3" discus test. For now they are still in QT and will be remaining there for at least another couple of weeks. Just want to be sure of them before they join the rest of the crowd. =)

Oh and you can't go wrong with either Hans or Kenny! I'm a Hans girl all the way simply because his colors and strains appealed to me 2 years ago and then his customer service totally won my heart.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Rick

Looking good Toni, make sure to run your test at least 4-5 weeks.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Rick!

I'm testing the GS for that long and maybe more...depends on the mood I'm in. LOL

I'm still unsure of whether or not I ever want to put him into my main tank, but this is the guy who looks nothing like a true golden sunshine. He's pink and blue and breathtaking. Might be worth keeping him so long as he can prove that he's healthy, huh?
    Toni

120g - 10

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Toni, could always be a risk with this fish. Just saying...
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Could be Pat, and that's why I'm taking my time with him and really thinking it over.

The little tester discus are in the big tank now, so they are going to relax, eat lots and grow a bit before I risk putting them in with the GS.

Thing is, if they head to the QT tank and live there for 4 weeks without getting sick, it's pretty safe to say that the GS isn't going to sicken the rest of the crew, right? Hans feels sure that the illness they brought in with them would hit fast and hard, and I trust him on that. I remember just how hard it hit my original tank. 3 days of exposure and they were sick as dogs... 5 days and they were knocking on deaths door.

So anyways, in another couple of weeks I'll expose the tester discus to him in the QT and take it from there.

I'll have to take some pics of him just so you can see how he turned out. He's 7.5" of breathtaking. Truly stunning! I've never seen a discus with those colors..and he's SO round and perfect.
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Understand Toni, Hans is definitely way more knowledgable here. and do want to see pics of that GS

Ok Pat,

I took a couple fast pics during my water changes tonight. Darned fish refused to pose for me! LOL

IMG_4440.jpgIMG_4448.jpg

See why I'd like to save him if possible? He's big, he's beautiful and he's super friendly!
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

He is WOW Toni. I understand

Real Name
    Christopher G

+1 on the WOW! That is a beautiful silver pigeon

Isn't he just awesome Pat? It will be really sad if I have to cull him. Sooo, once the tester discus have had a couple of weeks to rest up in the main tank I'm going to plop them into his tank and see what happens. =)

Thanks Chris, he's actually a Golden Sunshine, which is why he's so unusual. He has very little yellow (some markings on his face) and the rest is just a metallic pink body and electric blue fins!
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Crossing fingers this one last hurdle goes without a hitch Toni.

Real Name
    Rick

Any updates on your test?
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 08-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeppers Rick, all is going extremely well!

The jumbo's are swimming in the big tank with the 4 new adults, the babies are in a 20 gallon of their very own for a few weeks just to grow a bit so they can compete for food and my GS is still sitting in his QT tank....waiting for me to toss in the tester discus. OH AND NO ONE IS SICK!!!

I'm not in any rush to do that and would rather give them a chance to put a little meat on their bones first...they had a rough first 2 weeks what with all the QT and new tanks.
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Toni, happy everyone is doing so well.

Thanks Pat! It's a joy just to walk past all my tanks and see so many lively vividly colored discus swimming all around.

Only problem thus far is eating. The bright red Fire Red (one is more orange still) is an out and out pig and eats 24/7 same as my jumbo's. The other 3 are much more picky though and so far have refused ALL foods except for FDBW. I've been sneaking in the bio enhanced ones when they aren't looking just so that they get some vitamins and minerals. LOL

The teensy babies are a bit flustered at the moment so they are just picking at food. They were in the big tank and couldn't get much to eat, so I moved them to a 20 gallon last night. Needless to say, they weren't happy with that...it's just one more upheaval in their little lives... poor things. They look GREAT though and don't appear stressed at all.

The GS is never much of a problem with eating thank goodness. He's always been a calm fish and doesn't seem to care that he's all alone with just 9 cards for company. =)

This weekend I'm making the big push to get the FR's and PB's to eat some beefheart. I've been trying one cube per day and the only ones getting fat on it are my cories. They laid a TON of eggs everywhere again and with my huge sword plant in the tank I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a couple of new cories again.

I guess what I'm saying is that all this fussing over my new HEALTHY discus is FUN! I'm doing four WC's per day (2 on the 20 and one huge on each of the other tanks) and loving it. Haven't been this busy in a year.
    Toni

120g - 10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast