ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: FedEx craziness

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default FedEx craziness

Ok this was a mess,

We shipped a bunch of boxes out on Wednesday via FedEx with a delivery for Thursday morning. As usual my Aunt tracks the packages like an expecting mother until they get to there destinations. All was fine until one box containing five discus had no movement out of Chicago en route to a small town in Montana so we got on the phone with Fedex very late Wednesday night and they assured us that the box was fine and on its way to Montana. Very early the next morning we still didn't see any movement from Chicago so we contacted our agent with FedEx and after a very long wait on the phone she said they didn't know where the box was and she would call us back because they needed to put a trace on the box. Miranda and I hung up the phone and were devastated.
    An hour later the agent called us and said I have good news, " I found the box it's in Memphis" the bad news is that the box is in a container and the earliest we can have the package to Montana is Friday. We both were saddened by the fact that our poor fish that we raised and grew out to nice looking discus were going to die. We called the buyer up and explained to him what had happened to the Discus and asked him if he could meet the box at the Fedex office.
    Well I'm happy to say that at noon our time we received a call from the buyer who stated that the Discus were alive and well and in his tank. I wanted to share this story with you guys of the amazing two day journey from Chicago to Memphis to a small town in Montana that these five Chicago Discus were on............Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Default Re: FedEx craziness

Wow what a journey. This shows that you packed them really well for them to survive the more than two days.

Well done!
    Babar

Crazy... Glad they survive the trip. They probably survive because of your excellent packaging ... Hopefully the buyer will post pictures of your fishes...

Real Name
    Matt

Oh man, my heart sank in my chest reading this.Thank God all the fishies made it, I love a happy ending!!!
    KCCO!

Well done. Can you share with us, how you packed them? We all could really learn some thing from you.

MS gets the credit for that shipment she packed the fish ...........Josie
    Chicago Discus

I'm glad it worked out. I still say that shipping is cursed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Holy moly! Talk about pulling your hair out! Glad to hear they arrived fine!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Real Name
    Rick

Airport to airport is still the best way to go.......what size were the fish Josie? Smaller fish seem to handle shipping so much better.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

MS deserves a raise.

This is yet another example of how tough the discus can be with a little tlc.

I love a happy ending to start the day.

/blaine

I'm just wondering, Josie, if those fish had an additional source of oxygen, like bag buddies or something. Obviously the bags were packed well, and as it's summer you weren't fighting the bitter cold. But the O2 is a concern.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Oh my gosh Josie! Thanks heavens they survived all that excitement...it's a credit to your bagging and packing techniques.

Hopefully we get to see some pics of the little buggers?

I can tell you that FedEx FINALLY got it right for me on my recent shipment from Hans. Normally they only promise delivery by the evening of the next day (living in the boonies sucks..lol) but for once, they actually DROVE the discus to my door at 9am that morning in a little car!

Shipping is a nightmare, huh?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Wow what a journey. This shows that you packed them really well for them to survive the more than two days.

Well done!
    Thanks Poco sorry your plans changed maybe next time your up this way

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Airport to airport is still the best way to go.......what size were the fish Josie? Smaller fish seem to handle shipping so much better.

Rick
    they were 5" to 5.5" but your right the smaller ones ship easier

Quote Originally Posted by 8ftbed View Post
    MS deserves a raise.

This is yet another example of how tough the discus can be with a little tlc.

I love a happy ending to start the day.

/blaine
    she sure does just dont tell her LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I'm just wondering, Josie, if those fish had an additional source of oxygen, like bag buddies or something. Obviously the bags were packed well, and as it's summer you weren't fighting the bitter cold. But the O2 is a concern.
    Oh I agree if we were dealing with the cold this could of had a very different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Oh my gosh Josie! Thanks heavens they survived all that excitement...it's a credit to your bagging and packing techniques.

Hopefully we get to see some pics of the little buggers?

I can tell you that FedEx FINALLY got it right for me on my recent shipment from Hans. Normally they only promise delivery by the evening of the next day (living in the boonies sucks..lol) but for once, they actually DROVE the discus to my door at 9am that morning in a little car!

Shipping is a nightmare, huh?

If he sends me some photos i will definitely share them and shipping with FedEx is usually pretty smooth except this time LOL
    Chicago Discus