ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why dont discus keepers do automatic water changes more often?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Why dont discus keepers do automatic water changes more often?

Well you have asked...you have been answered, but you keep asking. You have already made up your mind so pull the trigger and do it. If you want to read responses do a search on it it has been discussed to death several times. Just because you were not here yet does not mean this is new to the rest of us.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Well you have asked...you have been answered, but you keep asking. You have already made up your mind so pull the trigger and do it. If you want to read responses do a search on it it has been discussed to death several times. Just because you were not here yet does not mean this is new to the rest of us.

-john
    +1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It'd be a really simple experiment to do, actually. If I had the patience to set up a small drip system I'd gladly test it. Maybe someone else would like to jump on it and post a thread here. It would be a very informative experiment.

You could take two smaller tanks of manageable size (say, a 40 breeder or a 55) and set up a drip system on one of them. Put the same number and size fish in both tanks, feed them exactly the same, and then let the drip system change water on one while manually doing 50% daily changes on the other. Measure results of nitrate, TDS, pH, etc. at the end of one week, two weeks, etc. Over the course of a few months it'd be interesting to note the differences (if there are any) in the size, color, or behavior of the fish.

As for the link you posted, it's a 540 gallon tank with two fish in it. The DOCs and nitrate are not going to build up in that tank the way they would in a heavily stocked tank. I can put a pair of discus in a 180 gallon tank and get by with one small water change a week, or use a drip system to change a few gallons per hour. But you have to consider how many discus you have in your tank versus its size. If I recall, your tank is heavily stocked.
    Last edited by Ryan; 08-13-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Would also be a great thread for the Laboratory part of the forum.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat, you like to tinker and you have plenty of fry to work with. Maybe you've found your next project.

Real Name
    Pat

Ryan, the current batch of fry are about 25 and half are spoken of. Once I send them off I might have enough to fool with if I keep the culls. I have a couple with short gill plates and two with a abnormal dorsal fin. Guess we know which group would go in the drip system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It'd be a really simple experiment to do, actually. If I had the patience to set up a small drip system I'd gladly test it. Maybe someone else would like to jump on it and post a thread here. It would be a very informative experiment.

You could take two smaller tanks of manageable size (say, a 40 breeder or a 55) and set up a drip system on one of them. Put the same number and size fish in both tanks, feed them exactly the same, and then let the drip system change water on one while manually doing 50% daily changes on the other. Measure results of nitrate, TDS, pH, etc. at the end of one week, two weeks, etc. Over the course of a few months it'd be interesting to note the differences (if there are any) in the size, color, or behavior of the fish.

As for the link you posted, it's a 540 gallon tank with two fish in it. The DOCs and nitrate are not going to build up in that tank the way they would in a heavily stocked tank. I can put a pair of discus in a 180 gallon tank and get by with one small water change a week, or use a drip system to change a few gallons per hour. But you have to consider how many discus you have in your tank versus its size. If I recall, your tank is heavily stocked.
    this is the kind of nice response to someone new to this. with reasoning and PATIENCE.
    isnt this a place where anyone can come in and ask same thing over and over and those who DO wanna respond can do and those who are annoyed can just ignore?

thanks ryan for a NICE response. im gonna try this myself also and test daily and experiment this as well.
    ill either add to another failure thread or hey dang this thing works thread. but at least someone here can actually say they tried it and it didnt work vs oh i read an article or heard a lecture from someone who said this doesnt work
    those who wanna try this are welcomed to join in.

btw, joey told me he also drips his discus fry tank also. he drips all his tanks. and to me, they look good enough.

Do you alway whine this much? You need Ryan to tell you to try it? LOL......Well at least you should be happy you have now found someone that told you to try it....oh wait a minute 2 pages back I gave you a very nice response to your question and told you to try it. Also invited you to NADA. And instead of me ignoring something why don't you use the search function and read all of the other responses where this has already been covered? Why do you feel so entitled? Why do you feel people should take time out of their busy day to answer questions for you that have already been answered several times already?

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    David

tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Guys, can we not? Thanks.

I'll remind everybody that if you don't like someone's tone or posts, you can add them to your ignore list and you won't have to see them.

Ryan I know that but it is not me that I am worried about. As you know I hate it when someone keeps posting about something that they have never done....because it often causes other new people to be mislead. I don't care about their fish at all. It is all of the other new folks that will read this and think it is the way to go. If they want to do it them great go and do it. Show us all how great it works and then talk about it. We both know how this will end...we have both seen it more times than we care to admit. There is about a 90% chance that the fish will either die or look like crap when they are done growing. I guess I just get irritated at someone that does nothing but talk....Either do it or quit talking about it.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Christopher G

Attachment 79809

Honestly... why must it always come down to these type of responses?

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Attachment 79809

Honestly... why must it always come down to these type of responses?

Probably because people come in here and insist on pushing methods that have been proven to be faulty for the last 40 years. They never really do it and then report the results. They just get on here and beat the dead horse.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Do you alway whine this much? You need Ryan to tell you to try it? LOL......Well at least you should be happy you have now found someone that told you to try it....oh wait a minute 2 pages back I gave you a very nice response to your question and told you to try it. Also invited you to NADA. And instead of me ignoring something why don't you use the search function and read all of the other responses where this has already been covered? Why do you feel so entitled? Why do you feel people should take time out of their busy day to answer questions for you that have already been answered several times already?

-john
    Man you guys are tough group to get to know. Are there any other forums for Discus?

Real Name
    Pat

Ok Guys, moved this to the laboratory and there are enough disclaimers in this thread to warn any new member. So lets move on are quit rehashing the same points.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast