AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugh!

Registered Member

Default Re: Ugh!

I had an arrowana dried to the carpet once. He returned to his predatory ways.
    I had a pair of hulking oscars which would come up and snatch whatever insects I caught outside out of my fingers. I came home one day and Bert was horizontal on the bottom in the back. (Yeah, Bert and Ernie) A little sleuthing revealed the kids had friends over after school and was showing off. Bert shot out of the tank and it was pandemonium with the big fish flailing around and 4 or 5 kids screaming and jumping. (girls) They got him back in the tank and hoped I wouldn't be none the wiser.
    Fish keepers (and parents) notice the smallest things out of sorts. Bert recovered, grew back a few scales and was none the worse for wear.

Hopefully your biggun follows suit.

Real Name
    Boyd

Sorry to hear Toni, Hope for 100% recovery.Over my time in the Hobby, I have lost other fish the same way. This time around, I use the plastic lite/lens ( egg ) grating in addition to canopy. I am back up and running by the way, after the breakdown and bleach as you suggested. All is well, thanks, BB.

I have found out from my very short time of keeping discus and from speaking to others, the bigger the group you have the less they will jump.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Luth View Post
    Sorry to hear Toni, Hope for 100% recovery.Over my time in the Hobby, I have lost other fish the same way. This time around, I use the plastic lite/lens ( egg ) grating in addition to canopy. I am back up and running by the way, after the breakdown and bleach as you suggested. All is well, thanks, BB.
    Thank you Boyd! As of a few minutes ago he is back to eating and swimming with the rest of the crew, so I think we're out of the woods with him. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the bruising to heal so that he's all orange again and not half orange, half black. LOL

So good to hear that you're back in business! Keep me posted with pics, ok?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I have found out from my very short time of keeping discus and from speaking to others, the bigger the group you have the less they will jump.
    I've never found that to be the case. They actually may jump MORE in a larger group because all it takes is one to get startled and flee and then the entire rest of the group will startle, leading to the possibility of jumping.

As I've said, I've never had one jump out of the tank in over 2 years of keeping a these new groups, but there's always a first time for everything.
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by 8ftbed View Post
    I had an arrowana dried to the carpet once. He returned to his predatory ways.
    I had a pair of hulking oscars which would come up and snatch whatever insects I caught outside out of my fingers. I came home one day and Bert was horizontal on the bottom in the back. (Yeah, Bert and Ernie) A little sleuthing revealed the kids had friends over after school and was showing off. Bert shot out of the tank and it was pandemonium with the big fish flailing around and 4 or 5 kids screaming and jumping. (girls) They got him back in the tank and hoped I wouldn't be none the wiser.
    Fish keepers (and parents) notice the smallest things out of sorts. Bert recovered, grew back a few scales and was none the worse for wear.

Hopefully your biggun follows suit.
    Thanks for the tales (tails???) and encouragement Blaine. =)

Good to hear that Bert survived his ordeal, but I can just imagine the horror and squealing that went on in the house when he made his leap to freedom. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I don't agree with that. Long story short put a full cover on your tank no matter what

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Thank you for chiming in on that Don! I don't have any experience with jumping, which I stated up above, but also feel that large groups are just as prone, if not MORE prone to jumping as small groups.

Dash has added some ideas and advice that are actually very helpful for me, because I never would have thought to mention that there's no need to medicate and that ALL discus can jump. Hopefully if any newcomers read this they'll see the posts and realize that they need tight fitting lids on all discus tanks and that IF a discus manages to escape the tank, they just need clean fresh water and time in order to hopefully heal, unless there's an open wound that becomes infected. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

I agree with the more fish meaning more likelihood one fish spooking another

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12