ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bath Time!

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Bath Time!

OK, I just get such a kick out of the behavior of my discus during a water change that tonight I documented it.

During the drain/clean process they swim all around and try to find food in my hands. Then, once the water level drops to the point that the big guys are almost tipping over, they ALL head underneath the plant in the middle of the tank and just huddle up and wait. Here they are just as I'm turning on the water and starting to refill the tank...huddling...huddling...waiting...waiting....

IMG_4449.jpg

They stay there JUST till they sense that fresh water is pouring in like a waterfall and then they make their move! And this is when it gets funny, because there just isn't enough room at the end of the tank for all of them to play under the waterfall at the same time. There's a lot of good natured shoving and pushing as each one tries to get some quality time under the water flow. Even my teensy tester discus have learned to get into the act now!

IMG_4456.jpgIMG_4454.jpgIMG_4452.jpg

Once they tire of playing under the water, they head for the opposite side of the tank and start begging me for food. I absolutely HAVE to put in a couple cubes of FDBW's for them at that point or they pester and pester, pressing their faces against the glass. LOL

IMG_4460.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: Bath Time!

My group of RT's are like this too. One in particular will follow me around and rub against my hand and playfully nip at me or the hose. Then when water starts going back in its back and forth through the new water for a bit. Fish are silly sometimes.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Real Name
    Christopher G

Lol! That's Awesome! Mine do that as well, it's so funny that they act( imo) like puppies. Mine will follow me around and nip at my hand and arm thinking that the hair on my arm are fdbw's , lol . Once I start to pour in the fresh water, they like to swim thru the water stream.

LOL, I had no idea there were other silly discus who love to take a "shower" under the water flow!

The whole routine cracks me up every single time. I never get tired of it. My baby discus only JUST discovered the fun of swimming under the waterfall and last night they refused to budge, even when my much bigger guys tried to nudge them out of the way. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Registered Member

I have some wilds that do the same thing. Jeff

Isn't it fun to watch Jeff? =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Registered Member

very cool

Real Name
    Christopher G

I forgot to mention that aside from being playful during WCs, my discus play other times as well. My cobalts and snow white like to swim to the surface of the water, then splash water out of the tank with their tails. Lol! I believe they do that to get my attention, because as soon as I look away about a minute later they'll do it again. They're so silly! Lol! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    I forgot to mention that aside from being playful during WCs, my discus play other times as well. My cobalts and snow white like to swim to the surface of the water, then splash water out of the tank with their tails. Lol! I believe they do that to get my attention, because as soon as I look away about a minute later they'll do it again. They're so silly! Lol! I love it!

Lol, that's awesome!

I had one way back when who used to nudge the glass thermometer off the side of the tank and then chase it around the water. I think he liked the way it bobbed up and down at the water surface. He was also my "Sarah Bernhardt". When he was hungry, he'd flip on his side at the top of the water and then flap his fins madly...creating quite a nice stir in the tank. It worked every time and I'd give him a treat...which only reinforced the behavior. =)
    "
    Toni

120g - 10