Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purigen Reactor

Registered Member

Default Re: Purigen Reactor

Paul,
    PM sent with email address.

Registered Member

Hi Paul. Thank you for sharing the details of your purigen reactor.
    I've also attempted to set up a reactor using an old eheim canister. The water enters from the bottom as usual an it is being pushed in via a small eheim pump. (The canister head is not plugged in) I've placed a thin layer of Japanese matting followed by filter floss in the bottom of the canister in order to keep the beads from being back washed. This took some trial and error as it had to be packed tight. I've also taken out the plastic guard for the propeller chamber and blocked it with silicon, leaving open the hole for the return pipe. I've also placed some filter floss and a small piece of ladies stocking to plug the exit as the Purigen beads kept escaping into the main tank before. The reactor is next to my sump and it is working. Although I'm worried that it might be working too well. I have placed half a litre of Purigen in there and it has fluidized nicely but I'm worried that it is an overkill for my 1000 litre heckel system. It had made the water crystal clear. But would it starve my biological filter bacteria? Should I use less? I could connect it to a timer and have it operate only for 12 hours every day? I have also installed an automatic water change system that drips water 12 hours a day. I am getting there but would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers
    Tolga.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by tolga View Post
    Hi Paul. Thank you for sharing the details of your purigen reactor.
    I've also attempted to set up a reactor using an old eheim canister. The water enters from the bottom as usual an it is being pushed in via a small eheim pump. (The canister head is not plugged in) I've placed a thin layer of Japanese matting followed by filter floss in the bottom of the canister in order to keep the beads from being back washed. This took some trial and error as it had to be packed tight. I've also taken out the plastic guard for the propeller chamber and blocked it with silicon, leaving open the hole for the return pipe. I've also placed some filter floss and a small piece of ladies stocking to plug the exit as the Purigen beads kept escaping into the main tank before. The reactor is next to my sump and it is working. Although I'm worried that it might be working too well. I have placed half a litre of Purigen in there and it has fluidized nicely but I'm worried that it is an overkill for my 1000 litre heckel system. It had made the water crystal clear. But would it starve my biological filter bacteria? Should I use less? I could connect it to a timer and have it operate only for 12 hours every day? I have also installed an automatic water change system that drips water 12 hours a day. I am getting there but would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers
    Tolga.
    Tolga,

I would recommend that you carefully read Part 3 of my presentation. You can find it under the general discussion area on about page 3. The title is "How to get the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work. There's allot of information there that you really should know before adding a Purigen reactor to an existing system. For example, in order to get good results, there are a number of elements that need to be in place.

The addition of a Purigen reactor will not starve your bio filter, and the beneficial bacteria will continue to process the ammonia that is given off by your fish.

The first indication that the filtration system is working properly is to measure the nitrates. They should be zero.

There is, however one problem that you might encounter with your sump filter. There is a possibility that the fish poop will cause it to become plugged. I don't know this as fact, because I have never used a sump. I do know that the cannister filter will eventually become plugged because I have a pressure gauge on mine which indicates when this happens. In my case, I just remove the filter cartridges, clean them and reuse. So PLEASE don't let this happen to you. All of this and much more is explained in my presentation.

Paul

Also, you should read Part 4 about the design requirements of a Purigen reactor.

Registered Member

Thank you for all the info. I did read part three and part 4 of your thread albeit briefly. I'll now go back and read it in more detail. My sump has an efficient mechanical filter component and I clean it regularly so blockage ought not to be a problem. Since I've started using the Purigen reactor my Nitrates went down to 5ppm which was previously unattainable. I have since disconnected the reactor as I've added some medication but I will be reconnecting it again in a few days time and let it run to see what happens. Good to know that it won't starve my filter bacteria. Thanks again.
    Tolga

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    WaterDog,

The valve idea sounds like it will work OK, but its difficult to say for certain without trying it. After placing mine in operation it took me a few design modifications to my reactor before I was satisfied with the results. I'm not certain exactly what will or will not work properly. I do know that the design I presented works really good. So its more of a case of try and see if it performs the way you want.

If you will send me a PM with your email address, I can provide you with a video showing what the Purigen beads look like when in operation. My tank requires a flow rate between 0.5 and 1.0 g/m to achieve the intended purpose. The only problem with higher flow rates is that the screen material may clog up sooner. Also, be sure to gradually turn the flow on so that the Purigen beads don't suddenly get thrust up into the screen. Remember that the beads are only slightly more dense than water and that some of them are actually less dense. The beads don't look levitated, more like a "slow boil."

Paul
    Paul this is a concept sketch of what I have in mind for the top and bottom screens. Let me know what you think.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDog View Post
    Paul this is a concept sketch of what I have in mind for the top and bottom screens. Let me know what you think.
    WaterDog,

The basic design looks like it will do the job. How do you intend to seal the outer diameter?

Nice drawing.

Paul

Registered Member

WaterDog,

The basic design looks like it will do the job. How do you intend to seal the outer diameter?

Nice drawing.

Paul
    If you look closely the top and bottom pieces will have a step turned in them that when assembled will form an O-ring groove. The circles you see on each side are meant to represent the cross-section of an 1/8" O-ring. I'll make it a very slight interference fit to the I.D. of the vessel. Otherwise it will be difficult to install them. I suppose I could lubricate the O-rings with something slippery like Prime when I install them. BTW, I'll be machining the disks. I'm a manufacturing engineer as well as prototype machinist. This project may be slow developing though as I have a lot of other things on my plate right now.

Crunchy,

Thank you for your responses to my questions, this is very helpful to me. Hoping that you won't mind a few more. Why did you change your schedule for changing out the Purigen from once a month to once every 2/3 months? What changes do you think you would see in your tank if you removed the Purigen for a month? How does ada amazonia gravel work that there is no visible fish poop? Do you have good plant growth?

Would very much like to see some pictures of your tank.

Paul
    First time using purigen had a lot of leftover waste, so had to change it out in a month. After few months of using purigen nitrates still low below 5,so thinkin of just keeping it there for longer.

I have good plant growth, without very bright lights. Ada gravel works by keeping the waste in the gravel, and over time it will break down into nutrient to renutrify the soil for plants.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I keep reading this and I can't get around the organics, why not just add a protein skimmer which dissolves and removes organics? I used this in my sump long before my plants were grown. If you live in a state which has farm land then you are going to get a lot of nitrates in the tap water. From what I understand this absorbs organic waste but does not work well on its own, needs reactor, needs high water flow... .... To my mind of thinking this purigen should work well with any contact of water containing organics, and not having to break down the organics much like a protein skimmer. If you told me this could be added to my filtration canister, and then had the same wow factor then I would be intrigued enough to try it. I get a wow factor with water by running the water through a micron sock in my aged tank. Right now I think it is a bit of too much trouble, time, and money for me. If you can show me that this works on a simple contact like filter media then I will bite.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyplants View Post
    I keep reading this and I can't get around the organics, why not just add a protein skimmer which dissolves and removes organics? I used this in my sump long before my plants were grown. If you live in a state which has farm land then you are going to get a lot of nitrates in the tap water. From what I understand this absorbs organic waste but does not work well on its own, needs reactor, needs high water flow... .... To my mind of thinking this purigen should work well with any contact of water containing organics, and not having to break down the organics much like a protein skimmer. If you told me this could be added to my filtration canister, and then had the same wow factor then I would be intrigued enough to try it. I get a wow factor with water by running the water through a micron sock in my aged tank. Right now I think it is a bit of too much trouble, time, and money for me. If you can show me that this works on a simple contact like filter media then I will bite.
    Perhaps a protein skimmer could be used in place of a Purigen reactor, as I have never used a protein skimmer. In order to be as effective as Purigen, it would have to remove almost all of the organic compounds. If you would experiment with yours, I would be interested in the results.

Not sure why you bring up the issue of nitrates. Neither scheme would work if nitrates are present in the water source.

There's no simple way, to my knowledge, of obtaining the results I got. Seams there's always a price for what we get. I can tell you that I'm absolutely amazed at the difference the changes have made in my aquarium.

Paul

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    First time using purigen had a lot of leftover waste, so had to change it out in a month. After few months of using purigen nitrates still low below 5,so thinkin of just keeping it there for longer.

I have good plant growth, without very bright lights. Ada gravel works by keeping the waste in the gravel, and over time it will break down into nutrient to renutrify the soil for plants.
    Crunchy,

Thank you for your reply. Your information is quite useful to me. I like your tank and fish.

Paul

From the conversations I have read the idea is to break down organics which lead to the final step of nitrates. A protein shimmer does just that. It was built to break down organic wastes. I am truly interested how the two compare. Protein skimmers are not cheap either, but have been proven in the marine land technology, over 30 years of use, and whose technology which created reactors as add ons. Reef technology has also brought and proven the affectedness of refugiums. Micron filters 200 and higher make the water sparkle like diamonds. Costs less then 10.00. So looking at the costs, the time, and the energy, this system just doesn't make sense to me as of yet. Notice I said as of yet! Give me some comparisons to break down my cynicism as far as effectiveness. I suspect the reactor in itself has a lot to do with effectiveness if indeed this does as you claim. I am the type of person you need to address, or to convince, because people like me need a little more facts and comparisons before jumping in with the rest of the fish.

Perhaps I am missing something here. As I understand the cycle in tanks form ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, nitrates being the final step. Protein skimmers were created, tried, proven and improved upon for more then 30 years. Their job is to break down organic wastes, and eliminate them. They work and all this technology stems from reef survival and propagation in the aquarium type hobbies and homes. Reef technology is also responsible for the use of reactors and refugiums. All proven devices in marine technology. We are now reaping the benefits of marine technology and integrating with fresh water. Reactors also long proven in effectiveness, Purigen, new to the market, is a chemical, correct me if I am wrong, it absorbs, the organic wastes which lead to the final step of nitrates when used in conjunction of a reactor. This is what I get from the conversations from the posts. As we all know bacteria is cyclic, feeds off its source of nutrients, multiplies, and dies off when food source diminishes. So it is natural for others to be suspect to the amount of bacteria remaining in tank without ample food source. There are lots of reactors when combined with a chemical agent that do what they were intended to do. Then enters refugiums a big source for harvesting bacteria and removing the final by product from that bacteria, yes we are back to nitrates. Please forgive my cynicism but I am and others like me are people you need to address and convince. We are the ones who ask how hot is hot before jumping into the frying pan on a Friday night fish fry. Obviously I am still responding to this subject which means I am intrigued but as of yet not convinced on how many stars :star: this product yet deserves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123