AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Life - Updated Fishroom

Default Re: Updated Life - Updated Fishroom

Congrats Larry. Well we will have to send something your way to celebrate!!!
    Rich

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    Congrats Larry. Well we will have to send something your way to celebrate!!!
    Im in
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Wow... you have a nice collection of discus... One day I hope to have a fish room like yours... Thank you for sharing...

Hey Bud,

Sorry I missed commenting on this. The homesteader neighborhood gets a little crowded. Lol.

Congrats on your retirement. I too miss the days when a company was concerned about well-being of employees.

Tell Amanda good luck on her job search and if I can do anything to help let me know. Wish you luck also.

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Congrats, Larry! As you demonstrated, greed is root of all evil and stock market is the best representation of it. Hope you find something you really enjoy doing. I am far from the retirement age, but I seriously started to think about doing something I really want to do instead of what I do now to put the food on the table.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Looks great Larry. I also agree with you about sticking with a company. I have works for the same software company for over 20 years. Not bad for a 47 year old...LOL. Now that you have more time I expect you to start cranking out discus like crazy.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Thanks guys. One of the best by-products of the retirement has been the ability to go down to the fish room any time I want and fiddle around. I find myself just sitting a lot and observing. Something I never really had the luxury of doing before. No more midnite water changes either, lol.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Happy Retirement Larry, now you can really get in to fish =)
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Larry,

Don't know how I missed it before now. Your fish room looks awesome- better than many retail outlets I've seen. I hope your fish can develop into the supplemental cash flow you desire and give you satisfaction at the same time.

What fish do you have currently for sale? In January you had a batch of Santarem fry. Are those all gone? I'll be passing through Atlanta in a couple of weeks. Would love to see your set up in person. I've had rams a few times before and have been considering a dedicated ram tank. I've also admired apistos in the past- cockatoo? What do you get for your blue rams?

Hello Larry.

I have a couple of questions here, I see most of your breeding tanks are with sand substrate. So, do you have to swirl it? And how do you manage to feed the fry the quantities they need and avoid uneaten food accumulating in the substrate?

How do you manage the poop, do you vacuum all your tanks?

Sorry for the hassle, but I have 3 tanks and its time consuming to care for them properly, so I am wondering how fish room owners manage the number of tanks without making it a full time job. Maybe I am doing things the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    Larry,

Don't know how I missed it before now. Your fish room looks awesome- better than many retail outlets I've seen. I hope your fish can develop into the supplemental cash flow you desire and give you satisfaction at the same time.

What fish do you have currently for sale? In January you had a batch of Santarem fry. Are those all gone? I'll be passing through Atlanta in a couple of weeks. Would love to see your set up in person. I've had rams a few times before and have been considering a dedicated ram tank. I've also admired apistos in the past- cockatoo? What do you get for your blue rams?
    Sorry, I've been at the ACA convention and haven't been on the net since last Wednesday. The only thing I currently have for sale are some proven pairs. The Santarem were sold a long time ago. My fishroom is in my unfinished basement and during the Summer the temp gets up in the mid 80's. My storage water stays in the low 80's also. Due to this spawning activity really slows down for me during the summer. Coupled with this, I was gone for the NADA convention and now the ACA convention so I had several weeks that I would not have been able to care for fry so I didn't keep any that did spawn. I also sold all my rams about a month ago. I have a couple of pairs and now that I will be back home for a while I will start working on breeding them again. When I do have them available I usually charge $6 each. Not cockatoo, it is Cacatuoides.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Hello Larry.

I have a couple of questions here, I see most of your breeding tanks are with sand substrate. So, do you have to swirl it? And how do you manage to feed the fry the quantities they need and avoid uneaten food accumulating in the substrate?

How do you manage the poop, do you vacuum all your tanks?

Sorry for the hassle, but I have 3 tanks and its time consuming to care for them properly, so I am wondering how fish room owners manage the number of tanks without making it a full time job. Maybe I am doing things the hard way.
    Actually all of my discus grow out tanks are bare bottom. The only discus tanks with sand in them are my wild tanks. 2 - 125 gallon and 1 - 220 gallon. The smaller tanks (20's and 29's) with sand in them are planted and are for apistios, rams, angels, ect.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Actually all of my discus grow out tanks are bare bottom. The only discus tanks with sand in them are my wild tanks. 2 - 125 gallon and 1 - 220 gallon. The smaller tanks (20's and 29's) with sand in them are planted and are for apistios, rams, angels, ect.
    Yes, my question still stands do you vacuum the bare bottoms daily?

And though your sand substrate tanks are not for discus, however doesn't their fry also need several feedings and so left over food? or are other fish more tolerant?

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Yes, my question still stands do you vacuum the bare bottoms daily?

And though your sand substrate tanks are not for discus, however doesn't their fry also need several feedings and so left over food? or are other fish more tolerant?
    My discus grow outs get 100% water changes daily so that means they also get the bottom vacuumed daily also. As for the other juvies they do not get fed as many times daily and they are not as sensitive to the water as discus grow outs are. I do water changes (50%) on those planted tanks every 3 to 5 days as needed. To clarify this is only in the planted tanks. If I have really large spawns of say angels or rams then those grow outs will go in bare bottom tanks and will get the daily water changes as well as the discus.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast