AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Im new to discus and loving them

Default Re: Im new to discus and loving them

My babies are happy again since i added 2 friends for them.i just love wtching them play with each other.there is nothing prettier than a happy discus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quintin; 09-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Very nice fish Q. Well done.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Good job! The tank looks much better now Quintin, and your fish will be able much happier now that there are more of them.

For your test kit, you just want to measure your pH, not change it.

To test the pH, fill up a small bucket with tap water. Test the pH and write it down. Now add a heater and an air stone to the bucket and let it sit for 24 hours. Test the pH again. Did it go down a lot? Did it go up a lot?

If it goes up or down a lot, your discus will be happier if you start aging your water before each water change. To do that, just get a big barrel or bucket and fill it just like the test bucket. Let the bucket sit with the heater and air stone in it for 24 hours, then use that water during your water change.

For the other tests. You want ammonia to be 0, nitrites should be 0, and nitrates should be between 5ppm - 10ppm. So long as your test number look like that, your water is in good shape and you are doing enough water changes to keep your discus healthy.

If any of the numbers are higher than that, please post them here and we'll help you fix the water, ok?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Ill do the other tests.but have done a ph test and the ph is sitting at 8.2.ill see tommorow morning if it has changed.is 8.2 not to high or is it just that it musent fluctuate.but have also added nitrate remover to the water.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

8.2 is a high pH, but it's fine for your discus so long as it doesn't change a whole lot when the water sits overnight. It's better to keep it nice and steady.

For your nitrates, if they go higher than 5ppm - 10ppm, then you need to do a water change. It's always better to change the water than to add a nitrate remover. Changing water also removes other nasty things like pathogens and bad bacteria that can make your discus sick.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Thanx.i do 50% water changes every day.but i have been so bombarded by PH and Nitrates and Amonia i went and got nitrate remover for safety, but the compound also replaces trace nutrients required for discus.Does that sound correct?then i would also like some clarity on something.one of our local breeders (the guy i got my checkerboard disus from) said he had a problem more than once where he just threw the frozen food cubes (beef heart, blood worms) in the tank and the juvies got hold of it while still frozen which in turn damaged their intestines and they died slowly over a few months no cure found.have you ever heard of this problem.similar to the problem where the discus burn their reproductive organs on the heater and die during spawning.ur imput would be much appreciated

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    discus burn their reproductive organs on the heater and die during spawning.ur imput would be much appreciated
    this really funny....

What so funny?

Default Im new to discus and loving them

I haven't heard of frozen food killing discus unless it was infested with bacteria. What I do is run some water over the cube until its not as frozen, then cut into 4 pieces and feed them. This allows me to spread the cubes among many discus and thus leads to less aggression.

As for heaters killing fish lol...this is a first. Not likely unless u put your family heater in the tank lol
    Last edited by mastermamo; 09-20-2013 at 09:11 PM.

The pics were shrinked.if you look behind the pots left cnr there i was using a cnr filter with wool and charcoaol.if i used that in conjunction with powerhead would it be better as i took the cnr filter out cause was told carbon bad for discus if u disturb the filter while cleaning it can let nitrates back into tank?
    Quintin I recommend u remove the activated carbon (charcoal) and wool as u call it. Get some ceramic noodles, peat granules and lots of foam/sponge. This will be the best media u can use for your fish when it's seeded or cycled as its known in the US. I hope u understand what cycling/seeding is and how important this is for your fishes health. Also a powerhead IMHO is a no no for discus as they don't really like strong streams of water. Rather put in 2 airstones and a sponge filter or 2. Much more useful to your fish and tank.

Also plz put a background in the tank and at the bottom if u can. These fish hate string light and reflections. And take that ornament u have in the tank out. U can leave it plain or put in a little Mopani wood or dragon rock if u can get some. Remember this wood needs to soak in water a week or 2 and rinsed thoroughly a few dozen times before u put into your tank or you just going to release a wholeot of tannins into the water. Check your LFS for some pre-soaked wood.
    Last edited by mastermamo; 09-20-2013 at 04:39 PM.

one of our local breeders (the guy i got my checkerboard disus from) said he had a problem more than once where he just threw the frozen food cubes (beef heart, blood worms) in the tank and the juvies got hold of it while still frozen which in turn damaged their intestines and they died slowly over a few months no cure found.have you ever heard of this problem.similar to the problem where the discus burn their reproductive organs on the heater and die during spawning.ur imput would be much appreciated
    Your breeder has a LOT to learn, and is full of some really bad info. Maybe point him here so he can learn what is really killing his fish (hint - its not frozen food and heaters) lol.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Ill do that.i just feel no question to stupid to ask.at least i gt some clarity so it fine.I checked my PH this morning it is High but stable at 8.2.So i guess thats fine.ill check for amonia and nitrate levels soon.Ill point him this way but the incedent happened years ago when he got hes first discus.he lost all of them but i dnt think he had all sorted and ready before he added them to hes first tank.thanx for the imput guys.

Red face Re: Im new to discus and loving them

Here is the tank now i just added two large pots that i can move around and two rock and tree formations.the tank still looks nice, fish are happy and easy to clean.thanx again for all the constructive critisism.simply discus is the best.(sometimes harsh but strait and to the point)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok just finished testing for amonia and nitrates.Here are my water results
    PH - 8.2
    Amonia - 0.0mg/L
    Nitrates - 0.1mg/L

0.1 is the lowest reading available on the test for nitrates.So if im understanding this correctly my water is fine.

Let me know.Thanx

Ok just finished testing for amonia and nitrates.Here are my water results
    PH - 8.2
    Amonia - 0.0mg/L
    Nitrates - 0.1mg/L

0.1 is the lowest reading available on the test for nitrates.So if im understanding this correctly my water is fine.

Let me know.Thanx
    Ammonia and nitrates are good. pH is a little high for discus. Should be in the region of 6.8-7.2. Try to bring it down. An ideal pH would be 5.0-6.0. At this acidity pathogenic bacteria don't do well and discus thrive. I'm not saying that you as a beginner should aim so low just yet though. My pH sometimes goes to 4.5 and the fish love it. I do however try to keep my main tanks at roughly 6.0-7.0
    Last edited by mastermamo; 09-21-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast