AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen injection

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Oxygen injection

Hi all I have heard that their are people out their using presurise oxygen / pure oxygen booster machines, injection systems in their tanks for growing young to boost the amount of disolved oxygen content. From what I gather it is more in larger breeding facilities not just a general hobbiest with a few tanks. What do you know about this method ? Is there any good links and proof on this ?
    My fish room is still in construction whilst up and running and thinking of incorperating this if it is viable.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Re: Oxygen injection

Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Hi Timmy. I'm sure more experienced discus keepers could point you in the right direction. I was impressed with Piwowarki's method of injecting pure oxygen into his system which he explains in his website. I think he uses a medical grade oxygen bottle and various bits that are required to deliver oxygen in a controlled manner. Having checked these systems on line I did manage to get few items but they were very expensive. I'm now using a german product called Sochting oxydator on the return chamber of my sump. I've obtained the oxydator (W) which is the one designed for ponds. It is very simple and has no electrical or moving parts. It uses a hydrogen peroxide solution that dissolves into the surrounding water column and results in constant delivery of pure oxygen and activated oxygen. Hydrogen Peroxide would not get into the system only oxygen would. It has given my moving bed biological filter medium a huge boost and increased the redox values of my 1000 litres tank. You can check it on www.oxydator.de I think there is an English language option.
    Tolga

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by tolga View Post
    Hi Timmy. I'm sure more experienced discus keepers could point you in the right direction. I was impressed with Piwowarki's method of injecting pure oxygen into his system which he explains in his website. I think he uses a medical grade oxygen bottle and various bits that are required to deliver oxygen in a controlled manner. Having checked these systems on line I did manage to get few items but they were very expensive. I'm now using a german product called Sochting oxydator on the return chamber of my sump. I've obtained the oxydator (W) which is the one designed for ponds. It is very simple and has no electrical or moving parts. It uses a hydrogen peroxide solution that dissolves into the surrounding water column and results in constant delivery of pure oxygen and activated oxygen. Hydrogen Peroxide would not get into the system only oxygen would. It has given my moving bed biological filter medium a huge boost and increased the redox values of my 1000 litres tank. You can check it on www.oxydator.de I think there is an English language option.
    Tolga
    Good stuff tanks Tolga. I have been thinking of many different ways. I did hear that Piwowararki was using some sort of system. I do like their Discus too. I aren't running sumps but was more thinking of a difuser system ran in the corner of my growing tanks.
    Thanks for your imput
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

No worries.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I have been experimenting and seems to have increased activity and appetite. Just gone with a basic ice tea bottle because of the larger lid. A layer of ceramic noodles then rocks above that for a counter weight. An air line in through the lid via a barb to the bottom. 3/4 full of water and addition of some hydrogen poroxide. A 2nd barb in lid short air line and small air stone to defuse the O2.
    Until I get an DO meter I don't want to over do it so going by observation at the minute. What do you think for the cost of very little and using an air system already running they seem to be more active than normal and food is just being smashed. I am more doing it for growth, better health and fluctations in stocking levels less effect.
    Thanks Timmy

Real Name
    Tim Allen

The difusers seem to be working well after about 7 days they loose some of the volume of water trapped in the bottle and start to float which doesn't worry me too much as I was planning on recharging them with hydrogen poroxide once a week. I have a dissolved oxygen meter coming soon so will be able to put up the % of saturation for comparison.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

interesting thread. so what is the benefits of injecting pure oxgen into the tank?

is it the same as co2 that people inject into their planted tank for growing lush plants in their aquarium?

or would be having many air pumps give the same effect?

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    interesting thread. so what is the benefits of injecting pure oxgen into the tank?

is it the same as co2 that people inject into their planted tank for growing lush plants in their aquarium?

or would be having many air pumps give the same effect?
    Have a look at thread #2 PDF that was a good document I found.
    In answer to your other questions Benifits of pure oxygen in the tank reduces stress of bio load better health, less inclinde to get sick more energetic thust consume more food and growth is incresed.
    No not the same as Co2
    Many air pumps wont have same effect it is more about the water being able to retain the oxygen rather than burst in big bubbles at the surface.

I am still doing a lot of trial on this to refine the best method that is the reason for having this thread here to gather some good input. At the minute it may have cost me no more than $40 ( $30 for the 500ml of hydrogen poroxide) no more than $10 in barbs air stones and silicon hose. The benifits I can see them more active and eatting more ! The results in theory should out weigh the cost for a year for 30 tanks or so annual cost would be no more than $50 I have 10 pairs atm and if all goes well and each have on a rough guess 100 sellable youg per year that will bring in the $$$
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by timmy82 View Post
    Have a look at thread #2 PDF that was a good document I found.
    In answer to your other questions Benifits of pure oxygen in the tank reduces stress of bio load better health, less inclinde to get sick more energetic thust consume more food and growth is incresed.
    No not the same as Co2
    Many air pumps wont have same effect it is more about the water being able to retain the oxygen rather than burst in big bubbles at the surface.

I am still doing a lot of trial on this to refine the best method that is the reason for having this thread here to gather some good input. At the minute it may have cost me no more than $40 ( $30 for the 500ml of hydrogen poroxide) no more than $10 in barbs air stones and silicon hose. The benifits I can see them more active and eatting more ! The results in theory should out weigh the cost for a year for 30 tanks or so annual cost would be no more than $50 I have 10 pairs atm and if all goes well and each have on a rough guess 100 sellable youg per year that will bring in the $$$
    timmy, do you have any pics or vid of setups? i would be interested if the setup is easy and doesnt take up a lot of space.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Not with me I get home from work Tuesday so some time this week I'll try and get a picture up. Pretty much you see how people set up the K1 in the bottles pretty well same sort of setup.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

i just looked it up. an it looks so simple and easy.if somehow the glass breaks and the hydrogen peroxide leaks out into my aquarium. would that kill all my fish? and is it the same hydrogen peroxide u buy at like walmart with the brown bottle and use it for cuts and scrapes?

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    i just looked it up. an it looks so simple and easy.if somehow the glass breaks and the hydrogen peroxide leaks out into my aquarium. would that kill all my fish? and is it the same hydrogen peroxide u buy at like walmart with the brown bottle and use it for cuts and scrapes?
    I just use plastic ice tea bottles and it doesn't hurt the fish people in aquaculture use it fairly often and alot have it on hand to put directly into the water during large power outages. It needs to be the hydrogen peroxide safe for human consumption. I got mine from a health shop online at 35% and dilute it to 3.5% and use it at that ratio so the 500 ml is going to last a long time. I am waiting on my DO meter so I can up the mixture to achieve around 100 % saturation. From what I understand over 120% saturation starts to loose the advantages. The document says that between 80 % - 120% with the right feed ratio is best results.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Do you use DO meter to measure?
    What result do you have?
    Thanks so much

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by doivuthe View Post
    Do you use DO meter to measure?
    What result do you have?
    Thanks so much
    Hopfully my DO meter should be here next week.
    I have only been going on observation and the activity, appetite and growth has increased. Once I get the meter I'll put up some results and ratio's ect. The cost to do this is less than $50 per year and I can see the difference in my Discus over the last 6 weeks since I started using it.
    Thanks Timmy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast