Default Re: Oxygen injection

Interresting!

Wait news from you !

Yann
    My website Fanatik-discus

Real Name
    Tim Allen

My D/O meter should hopefully be here by 15th and i can post some comparisons with some more accurate results
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Hi all my meter has came and I haven't had much time to play around yet. Here is one bit of info I am currently keeping a batch of 33 17 day old Alenquer fry in 85% - 90% D/O and haven't had any losses even after removing off parents 3 days ago. They are all feeding well on BH, FDBW & NRD .5 growth granuals. I don't normally pull my fry this early but they were all starting to feed well away off the parents and around 3/4". I am expecting good size out of these young the mother is around 7" - 8" and the father is only very young (maybe 18 months) and still growing.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Very cool stuff. I'm waiting anxiously to see what kind of data you'll get with the meter. I've got a fresh spawn that's about a week old now, I think I might give this a try with them. Personally I'd much prefer to go with an external setup though. Some of my discus have shattered glass thermometers in the past while rough housing, I think it'd only be a matter of time before that thing (the internal style setup) got knocked over.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by sheaspina View Post
    Very cool stuff. I'm waiting anxiously to see what kind of data you'll get with the meter. I've got a fresh spawn that's about a week old now, I think I might give this a try with them. Personally I'd much prefer to go with an external setup though. Some of my discus have shattered glass thermometers in the past while rough housing, I think it'd only be a matter of time before that thing (the internal style setup) got knocked over.
    I don't seem to have any problems with things getting knocked about. I got 60 tanks running and around 8 with this difuser in them it is only a plastic bottle with rocks as a counter weight and water in it. I am at work for another 4 days so i will be able to do some more testing when I get home. I will have to include a water sample with temperature, hardness, ph and all the other normal things because unless your water matches what i'm testing D/O in that will influnce the amount of oxygen the water can hold too.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Good points. I thought about trying it out simply with 3 percent solution generally available. It seems whatever this would be capable of producing should be well within safe parameters.

As far as concerns regarding knock over, certainly to each their own, only my personal preference until I have a better understanding of the chemical process & what the implications of a knock over may or may not be. I am no chemist by the loosest definition.

By your understanding would a bit of unprocessed hydrogen peroxide be relatively harmless if released into the water column? I understand (I think) that the result of the oxidation process is simply O2 & h2o, but what I have safety concerns (lack of knowledge) about is the pre-processed material.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

From what i have found that the levels of Ho2o has to be over 15mg/l. I use it at 3.5% solution so to be harmfull to you would have to have a very high dosage. I have only been doing small trials of this as the better oxygen transfer across the gills the less energy ect is exerted to swim about and eat and there for should put more energy into good growth and health.
    Thanks Timmy

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I haven't forgoten been very busy. I have found a raio chart to calculate the dosage of Ho2o more accurately.

The following formula can be used to determine the volume (in milliliters [= ml ] of 35% Ho2o
    required for a given treatment concentration and system volume.

(treatment concentration mg/l) system
    _________________________ X volume (L) X 1000 = __ml of 35%

Figure 1.

NOTE:There are 396,100 mg of hydrogen peroxide per L of 35% Ho2o

In Aquaculture for food fish the average concertration is 75mg/L to help with mortality and disease problems. I am at aproximately 10mg/L and notice a difference. I am still to do more testing with D/o Metre.

If you are using 3% hydrogen peroxide, each 1 ml added per 30 Litres (8 US gallons) will increase total peroxide levels by 1 mg/l. 15 mg/l per 48 hours is thought by many to be a fish safe concentration.
    Last edited by timmy82; 11-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Update??? Interested in Do readings.
    Cheers,
    DC

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Yes I have been slow at getting back to this. Here is one trial I did. Tank is 6 x 20 x 20 so arond 500lts. PH 7.2 TDS 95. Water temp 29c stocking levels are 3 x 3.5" discus and 4 x 4.5 - 5" discus, 3 L333, 3 x L397 4 x pepermints 7 x orange chromides and 5 cherry barbs. Tank BB 4 corner boi air driven filters 1 x 5" sponge with K1. after water change added 20ml of 35% Ho2o before adding D/O was 76% 30min after 88% 6 hrs later 92% 24 hrs later was 87%. 24hr period aprox 30% water changed. I done the similar proceedure on other smaller tanks but more heavily stocked and after 24hrs the D/O was around 8 - 10% greater. I haven't kept a really strong record track got a lot of things happening and I don't use the Ho2o every day normally twice a week seems to keep them around the 80% D/O. The last lot of Altum Flora young are about 6 weeks old from FS and they were mostly 3.5 - 4cm when move the other day. They may have had 3 or 4 Ho2o doses but haven't been using it heavily. It isn't a substitute for water changes it is mearly an added benifit that i can't see any bad effects from and I only using weak dosage with an improvement in D/O. I don't aim at getting super saturation as I feel that could maybe end changing the whole out come but want to stabise D/O around 80 - 85%
    Thanks Timmy

Registered Member

Would a pump with a needle wheel impeller and a venturi attachment work? I was going to have two loops of water in/out of the tank. One loop with a canister/heater on it and the other for CO2 injection (and oxygenation with the venturi) and uv sterilizer. Reason I was thinking of doing this is because I didn't want an air stone in the tank but I read somewhere that discus need oxygen rich water. Long story short, I went with two canister filters but I've always wondered if my original plan would've worked.

New to the forum, first post in fact, but love the wealth of information and experience I am seeing.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by timmy82 View Post
    Hopfully my DO meter should be here next week.
    I have only been going on observation and the activity, appetite and growth has increased. Once I get the meter I'll put up some results and ratio's ect. The cost to do this is less than $50 per year and I can see the difference in my Discus over the last 6 weeks since I started using it.
    What were the results and conclusions of the experiment? I am curious

This post is 3 years old and it looks like Tim hasn't had a post in 1 1/2 years now.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

lol. I guess oxygen infusion didn't work out for him.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Buying that dissolved oxygen meter might have bankrupted him..lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast