ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Miracle mud experiences in sump and refugium plant.

Default Miracle mud experiences in sump and refugium plant.

Anyone has good experience with miracle mud for growing nitrate absorbers in sump/refugium?

Also what plants did you use in the refugium?

Thanks,

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: Miracle mud experiences in sump and refugium plant.

I had it in my sump when it was running. You'll get these little flies that will hatch and fly around your aquarium for a couple days and then die. Just a heads up. This stuff makes plants really take off. I just put a bunch of low light plants in it to eat up nitrates. I did find the sump to be annoying as my tank wasn't drilled and would have to start the overflow over each day after water changes.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

very interesting, would love to know more, my lfs is selling a 75g brand new wet/dry, i can put plants in that right? for $100 its got the overflow etc, id use it to supplement the filtration on the 125g but i dont have it drilled either so not sure how well that would work. just want to get a LOT better filtration for my tank, of course im mostly working making sure i have large quantities of pre filtered water for changes, so i was thinking about the wet/dry with some high grade carbon, to pre filter the water before it hits the aquarium, and doing much bigger changes, interested to see more people post here.

Real Name
    Christopher G

refugiums would work best in planted aquariums. For non planted aquariums frequent water changes should take care of nitrates. Why not keep it simple and less expensive? Egg crate and your choice of a , pothos, arrow head or spider plant. Jmho