AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus keep eating their eggs

Registered Member

Default Discus keep eating their eggs

Hello I have a pair of discus, and they are about 5 inches, they first spawn like two months ago, and they just spawn again for the third time like two weeks ago, the problem it's that they just keep on eating the eggs. It takes them like three days after they lay the eggs then all gone! Could you guys give me some advice as of how to do a successful spawn. It's my fist time at this and I believe I'm as inexperienced with this as my fish are lol thanks.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Discus keep eating their eggs

Cover the eggs with some type of mesh so they can't eat them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Cover the eggs with some type of mesh so they can't eat them.
    Hello I did cover them the second time they did, but some how they or maybe the small fish eat them, I try to cover it with a piece of net I had, but it didn't work. Do u think it has anything to do with the fact they are young and don't have experience? Or maybe something else?

Just be patient they will figure it out. But after a so many tries you might have to cover them.

Richard
    Richard

Real Name
    Mike

I did something like this but I used the plastic pest protector (no metal) material from home depot or lowes (cant remember which one). http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...highlight=mesh
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-3-f...1397/100384025
    Last edited by White Worm; 08-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Registered Member

Hi yes I did cut a plastic bottle and cover the log from where they laid their eggs and it seems to be working, I. Just a little worry cuz some of the eggs, are turning white, and if I'm not mistaken this is a sing of fungus.should I remove this white eggs or just leave it the way it is?

Registered Member

Hello White Worm:
    I am new to the Forum
    Your Post is very interesting will you mind to post a picture of how you set up your protection?

Registered Member

I have covered my eggs with a mesh. Parents are hovering around the cone. Fry are wriggling. Do I ever take of the mesh, or just wait till the fry attach themself to parents?

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
    Hello I have a pair of discus, and they are about 5 inches, they first spawn like two months ago, and they just spawn again for the third time like two weeks ago, the problem it's that they just keep on eating the eggs. It takes them like three days after they lay the eggs then all gone! Could you guys give me some advice as of how to do a successful spawn. It's my fist time at this and I believe I'm as inexperienced with this as my fish are lol thanks.
    I have been breeding discus for about a year now and i have had pairs that do the same thing. The best thing, in my opinion, is to just let them learn and age, however if after a while they continue eating their eggs i would cover them up with plastic chicken wire. Also if the eggs go white, which is not uncommon for a young pair, it is because the eggs were most likely not fertile. I have heard that the males tend to take longer to mature than the females. Good luck, Nick

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klimkowski View Post
    I have been breeding discus for about a year now and i have had pairs that do the same thing. The best thing, in my opinion, is to just let them learn and age, however if after a while they continue eating their eggs i would cover them up with plastic chicken wire. Also if the eggs go white, which is not uncommon for a young pair, it is because the eggs were most likely not fertile. I have heard that the males tend to take longer to mature than the females. Good luck, Nick
    Thanks Nick, I have decided to just let the parents do their thing and let them mature, I did see them spawning and I saw the male taking too long to fertilize the eggs. I have another pair that just spawn today and I can't quiet understand but the eggs of both pairs are some how different in color. The ones that been spawning are light brown, and the one that just spawn today are dark brown is this normal? Thanks

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by arielfe View Post
    Hello White Worm:
    I am new to the Forum
    Your Post is very interesting will you mind to post a picture of how you set up your protection?
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...highlight=mesh

I did the same thing with a cone. The mesh is tied together with thread. It will float so I had to run a few pieces under crisscrossing so it would stay.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by joe1225us View Post
    I have covered my eggs with a mesh. Parents are hovering around the cone. Fry are wriggling. Do I ever take of the mesh, or just wait till the fry attach themself to parents?
    I would remove it and watch closely. If they start to eat the wigglers, I would leave it until they free swim.