ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My little baby discus...AKA The Tester Discus

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default My little baby discus...AKA The Tester Discus

Ok, I've posted about my big new discus, and the recovery of my sick RT, and the silly corydoras who have discovered "hanging fruit" in the tank, but I haven't posted pics of the 3" tester discus that Hans sent me.

These 2 little guys have been put through the ringer, testing tank after tank of discus to be sure that none of my remaining discus are carriers of any nasty diseases.

The littlest one, who was frail right from the start, just not a good eater, has struggled the most to acclimate what with all the tank changes. I tried putting him in a small tank with just his other tester discus for company, but he didn't rally and wouldn't compete for food, just hung out by the filter for a week.

I finally took pity on him and put him into the tank with my recovering RT. It's a 55g, it's dark (running metro) and quiet (in the laundry room) and the RT is about the calmest, nicest discus you'd ever want to hang with. It's working! He's been slowly coming around, hanging with the RT more and more each day and today he actually ate enough to make his stomach bulge! No pics of him since he's in an unlighted tank, but on to the "rowdy" tester discus...

So this guy was a 3" wee little thing when he arrived. He's a Red Scrib and cute as a button...all buzz cut fins and stubs where his pectoral fins should be. LOL

He did his duty as a tester discus, then off to the 20g he went to eat and grow a bit. When I moved his frail buddy out of the tank I had a dilemma...he couldn't stay in there on his own, but I also didn't want to put him into the 55g. I decided to give him a friend. The mate to my GS. She's a nice 6" discus with a fairly quiet personality. She's not the most voracious eater I've had, but she does ok.

She also is my last discus who needed to be tested as a carrier, so this was a good opportunity to do just that.

So here are pics of Rowdy. He's approaching 4" now! Not quite there...yet. Give him another week or so and he'll definitely be a full 4". He eats like a little pig and then waddles around the tank. I love this little guy.

The pics are lousy and never will be good, because the tank is on the kitchen counter and next to the french doors. No light on top of the tank, just a small lamp nearby. The pics were taken right after a water change and during the obligatory "post WC FDBW feeding". It's the only way he'll come out and pose for me. LOL

IMG_4542.jpgIMG_4553.jpgIMG_4552.jpg

And here's one quick shot of my big tank as I was prepping to do their WC tonight:

IMG_4538.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: My little baby discus...AKA The Tester Discus

Brave little discus Toni, I can see why you love him. Perhaps in time he will amount to something. Knowing you....you can make that happen.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: My little baby discus...AKA The Tester Discus

Awww, isn't he just the cutest little thing Pat? His colors are just starting to pop up, till a week ago he was basically brownish in color with brownish pattern markings and slight bits of blue in his fins. Then this week boom, he started filling in with some nice yellows and a wee hint of red!

He's still not too sure he likes me. Tends to dash to the safety of the filter whenever my hand goes into the tank, but I think it's a bit of PTSD. After all, he spent time with a crazy herd of cory's, a gaggle of zippy tetras, a mish mosh of gigantic stendkers, and each time he was tossed into the tank and left to fend from himself.

Lemme tell ya though, he likes Al's FDBW's! I haven't bothered with beefheart yet since I'd have to cut tiny bits off the cube for him...what a pain. So instead he gets the super worms with probiotics and spinach in them.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!