ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mmmmmm good!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Mmmmmm good!

For any of you sitting on the fence, wondering about Al's freeze dried black worms from Australia, and if to buy or not buy these worms I want to give them a big thumb's up. I have been a regular buyer of them from Al as long as he has offered them. All my fish go crazy for them, I buy the loose floating ones. My discus and angels are used to being fed all over the tank. They eat food from the bottom, mid water and floating. If it is food they eat it where ever it is. I find that it is not fought over as much if it floats all over the top of the water. All fish have equal access to it at the same time. The less outgoing of them eat just as well as the big guys who would hog all the worms in a cube. I have seen a large discus try to cram half a cube into his mouth and swim off with it, guarding it from the others.

I ordered my recent batch on Monday and by lunchtime Wed. it was in my hands. Thanks Al, hope you sell these worms as long as I keep discus and angels. And I plan on having them even if I have only one tank in a retirement home room someday.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Default Re: Mmmmmm good!

+1 I feed my main tank and my discus fight over them and some take off the side of tank and run and hide to be ran down by the other 8....lol my 6 week old fry beg for them, fact is I put in my beefheart mix and they are like oh no, we want the worms.... I feed the FDBW in spinach and they love them... if I could not get them then I think my discus would starve!!!! lol thanks Al for a great product and please keep them coming.....
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Real Name
    Phil

+1... Al's worms are the best and my discus go crazy for them. It is so cool to put a cube in your hand and hold it in the tank and have these awesome fish eat right out of your hand.

Quick question/request for help...

I can't seem to get my discus to eat from the surface of the water they only eat when the cube is pressed mid way down the tank or when food falls to the bottom they are all pecking off the food as it lays on the bottom.

Is there anyway to train them in a way to eat off the top. The reason I ask is because as they start to attack the food pieces of the cubes will break off and then float to the top and go untouched. Once I turn the filters back on the water surface starts moving and it sprays the food around and they sink and are usually gobbled up.

So any suggestions? Maybe I should stick the cubes close to the top to begin with so that they get used to being up top to eat?

Real Name
    Boyd

+1

I have only ordered one batch of the spinach FDBW. My Discus love them. They watch for me, and wait :-) I also plan on ordering more soon. Sometimes, I press mine to the glass, sometimes, I soak in Garlic, and that's when they eat from my hand, pretty cool. They eventually ate from the surface, did not at first as much, now as Barb mentioned, they are all over the tank eating, just took a few feedings. Thanx Al for the Forum, and the food :-).

Some are top water eaters, some are mid range and some are bottom eaters. When I put mine on the glass, if I dont feed from hand, they hit it so hard it knocks them to the top. Mine will eat from top now but when I turn on my FX5 filter it pushes them to about mid range and they go after it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    +1... Al's worms are the best and my discus go crazy for them. It is so cool to put a cube in your hand and hold it in the tank and have these awesome fish eat right out of your hand.

Quick question/request for help...

I can't seem to get my discus to eat from the surface of the water they only eat when the cube is pressed mid way down the tank or when food falls to the bottom they are all pecking off the food as it lays on the bottom.

Is there anyway to train them in a way to eat off the top. The reason I ask is because as they start to attack the food pieces of the cubes will break off and then float to the top and go untouched. Once I turn the filters back on the water surface starts moving and it sprays the food around and they sink and are usually gobbled up.

So any suggestions? Maybe I should stick the cubes close to the top to begin with so that they get used to being up top to eat?
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

One idea for the fish who don't go to the top for the worms, soak the worms (cubes or loose) in water for awhile before you feed. Most of the worms will start sinking where they can eat them. Eventually they will get used to seeing worms at the top and will go up there, even if the worms are still dry. You can always make them get real hungry, I don't like to say starve, but if they are hungry I bet they will notice food up top and go for it! I always like to remember that I am the one in charge, not my fish, they must learn what I want them to learn, keeping in mind that they are just fish of course.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!