ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer of Unhappy Fishes

Default Re: Summer of Unhappy Fishes

Pat:

I'm going to hook it up to the sink faucet. So I do not need it right. I asked the man and he said I do not need it. If I have to replace the filter, I'd take the unit to the bathtub.

100F:

This is the dual system :

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WC...dCanisters.htm

I like them because they come with fittings. How about this filter: RV-GAC with KDF, scale inhibitor. Again, the man told me it's safe for fish. What do you think?

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

Is your system hooked up to main water line?

Thanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

PP_GBR, the duel system are only the 10 inch canisters, mine are 20 in. Also the flow rates do not seem very high on the 10in carbon cartridges. Regards the scale inhibitor I do not really know.

I hook my system up to a potable hose.

What are you trying to do and what flow rates are you looking for?
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-13-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    Pat:

I'm going to hook it up to the sink faucet. So I do not need it right. I asked the man and he said I do not need it. If I have to replace the filter, I'd take the unit to the bathtub.

100F:

This is the dual system :

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WC...dCanisters.htm

I like them because they come with fittings. How about this filter: RV-GAC with KDF, scale inhibitor. Again, the man told me it's safe for fish. What do you think?

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

Is your system hooked up to main water line?

Thanks.
    Dual systems are basically the same stuff as mine, except that I have three dual containers + one single container threaded together. I buy the fittings myself and set them up as needed. In regards of the filter I think you guys in the US are paying premium prices, I can buy a 10" carbon block filter for under 3 € here in Europe, (buy them locally, Spain, for under 4 €). Bought last month a 25 kg sack of GAC for 44 € so I can refill my containers for like forever.

Yes I have the filters plumbed to my tap water. I have recently made a slight modification to the line and now I can refill with warm tap water using a food grade hose and solar heated water saving lots €€€ in electricity.

One question, have you ever heard of ceramic cartridges? they seem to reduce hardness and paracites and can be easily cleaned and reused forever.
    Last edited by 100fuegos; 09-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Pat

I need something not to bulky so it's easy to hide. LOL. I just have to try it then.

@100F

Wish I could do something like yours without breaking the bank here. Ceramic like one of these:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RC...yCartridge.htm

They are very expensive.

Thanks all.

Registered Member

@100fuegos: try to improve your system adding the third filter: I use a triple 10 ": 1 filter- 5 micron ceramic; 2 filter- Ceramic & Carbo (or you can use rechargeable carbon) and 3 filter- STERASYL filter:.... filters up to 0.2 micron.

Ps: I did not notice any difference at ceramic filter, maybe because I have imperceptible values: ​​Gh2 - Kh 1,5 (tap water)...

And.... "price & prices" :

Filter:

Replacement cartridges:
    Last edited by Nimeni; 09-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Yes, like that ones, but at less than 17 USD. Have not tried them myself but will do for my next set of filters. Only hope the flow rate is at least 2 G per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimeni View Post
    @100fuegos: try to improve your system adding the third filter: I use a triple 10 ": 1 filter- 5 micron ceramic; 2 filter- Ceramic & Carbo (or you can use rechargeable carbon) and 3 filter- STERASYL filter:.... filters up to 0.2 micron.

Ps: I did not notice any difference at ceramic filter, maybe because I have imperceptible values: ​​Gh2 - Kh 1,5 (tap water)...

And.... "price & prices" :

Filter:
    Replacement cartridges:

OHHHH MAN!!!! I can name myself lucky. Anyway, I try to keep it cheap and simple. I use 5 micron sediment - 2X Zeolites - 2X GAC - 2X CTO. Zeolites will take care of chloramines and are rechargeable with table salt (NaCl). My water is almost liquid rock and my PH is 8.2 out of the tap. It does not change at all so no need to age, my discus have grown from dime size in this. That is the reason I want to try the ceramic filter as a last stage in my filtration system.

By the way you can buy in Germany a double 10" housing for 15 €. Filters are around 3 € in UK.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    By the way you can buy in Germany a double 10" housing for 15 €. Filters are around 3 € in UK.
    He-heee.... I know this: all purchases I make in Germany

But... attention to Zeolite:
    1: InMyOpinion... Zeolites can adsorb ammonia and other nitrogenous compounds, NOT chloramines!
    2: Activated carbon (GAC) removes chlorine... And this ONLY if you have a certain flow (350-500L/H)
    3: Zeolites... after a certain period he behaves like carbon: he discards all accumulated substances back in the water.

The fact that your fish grow well does not mean that the filtering is ok: the fish it adapts. But the hardness of the water, you can not decrease than.... with a RO system (trust me)

1. They do.
    2. Flow rate for WC is around that. One full year of every day WC can prove my method works.
    3. Zeolites will stop adsorbing when saturated and will start shedding ammonia if Na ions are present (adding salt to water). I replace and recharge my zeolites, and every filter, every three months.

No need of RO water to grow out fish, tap water is perfectly ok even my liquid rock. Have not tried yet as stated above but manufacturers claim ceramic cartridges reduce hardness. Will have to find out for myself if any significant reduction is attained.

Real Name
    David

It looks like Buckeye Field Supply has changed their name to Buckeye Hydro and their part numbers have changed too.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com

Example on part numbers (please correct me if I provided the wrong link):
    2 BFS-328 Blue 20-inch housing, 1/2 inch appears to now be SKU: 0603
    Tubing 1/2 inch (sold by the foot)
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Real Name
    Pat

David, I found a better website from which to buy the tubing. Let me look around and see if I can find it. Yes, Buckeye changed their name. I got an email on that a while back. Was not aware of the part number redo

Real Name
    Christopher G

Hey Pat
    I know this is an old thread but I have a quick question for you. Do you still age your water even though you run your water thru your HMA filter ?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Hey Pat
    I know this is an old thread but I have a quick question for you. Do you still age your water even though you run your water thru your HMA filter ?
    Absolutely Chris, I have a ph swing from 7.4 to 8.2, takes four hours of aeration to stabilize the ph.

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Absolutely Chris, I have a ph swing from 7.4 to 8.2, takes four hours of aeration to stabilize the ph.
    Wow! We have almost the same ph swing. I'm asking because I have an almost similar HMA filter as yours and wondered about aging the water afterwards. So after 4 hrs you turn off the aeration an do a WC? I'm asking because I'll be getting back into discus soon , I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Pat

I can Chris but generally have to wait a bit longer to allow the heater to catch up. Hope you get back into discus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast