AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September 2013 Member Spotlight - Bugman

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default September 2013 Member Spotlight - Bugman

It is my pleasure to present Larry as our spotlight member for September. Thank you Larry for accepting the September Member Spotlight.

Q - Please tell us all a little about yourself, what makes You tick? Single, married, attached? What do you do for a living? Other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about?

A - Well let's see, I'll turn 60 in December and don't feel a day over 40. I'm married with four children ages 10 to 35 and two grandchildren both 4. Amanda and I have been married for 12 years now. If the math doesn't add up, that's because the two oldest kids are from a previous marriage. A lot of you know Amanda, she ran the registration table at the 2012 NADA Show and she is looking forward to NADA 2014 in Austin (little plug there, lol). Amanda has been a stay at home mom but has been back in school getting ready to start working again. We have 4 cats, an 11 week old yellow Lab and more fish than I can count. I recently retired from UPS after 35 years of service. For the last 13 years my job was scheduling the tractor trailer jobs in Georgia. I worked with other schedulers across the country, maintaining our network of trailer movements across the country, keeping our service commitments while maintaining the lowest cost possible. I'm not ready to sit around the house yet so I will be looking for my next career after a little more goofing off. When I get into a hobby, I throw myself into it completely so there isn't time left for more than one. I am a past President and current BOD member of the North American Discus Association(NADA) and I am currently on the BOD of my local club, Atlanta Area Aquarium Association.

Q - How did you get into discus? Where was the first discus you saw? How long had you been into fish first?

A - I got my first aquarium when I was 10 years old. Within a year or so, I was up to three tanks keeping mainly livebearers. The only time in my life that I didn't keep a tank was when I was off at college. In 2007 I got pretty big into planted tanks. The 2008 AGA Convention was in Atlanta and while working at the Convention I met several members of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association who encouraged me to become a member. At my first meeting I sat next to Roger Lorts, a local fish enthusiast, who had the first fish room I ever saw and it just so happened he was a discus breeder. It is Rogers fault that I ended up with a fish room in my basement. Once or twice a month I would stop by Rogers on my way home from work and talk about fish. The discus intrigued me, especially seeing the parents with a spawn attached. It took months of talking with Roger to get up the courage to take my first discus home and give them a go. It was also at Rogers house that I first met Chad Adams(Sabres1). With the help and encouragement of Roger and Chad I became a pretty decent discus keeper. I joined Simply 4 years ago in 2009. I've only been keeping discus about 4 1/2 years now so I still consider myself a noob compared to so many long timers here.

Q - What strains are you the most happy with? Which do you think need some work? Are you working on anything new and exciting now? What strain/s do you like best, personally?

A - Favorite strains - this is sort of a tough question. My answer is different depending on the setting the discus is in. Is that a crazy answer? In a Show tank setting there is no hesitating answering Wilds. A nice big tank with sand and driftwood filled with a great group of wilds just can't be beat. Looking at individual discus I would have to say Wilds, Turqs and really nice spotted discus. I currently only have 8 pairs/possible pairs and I intend to get down to 4 or 5 pairs. I have a tendency to get carried away and overextend myself so getting down to this level has been a real challenge.

Q - What do you feed your discus?

A - The staples in my fish room are freeze dried blackworms from Al, Tetra color bits and Super beefheart flakes from Bill (Inland Empire). Along with Discus I also breed a lot of Apistos, Rams and Angels and these three staples have served me well for the entire fish room. I should add that you will always find my BBS hatchery running because I almost always have fry of some kind that need BBS to feed on.

Q - What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

A - Two answers to this question. Like most of those questioned before me my first answer would be my very first spawn. To see my first pair spawn and then see the fry attached to the parents was thrilling. It felt like a great accomplishment. That said, the most exhilarating moment has to be putting on the NADA 2012 Show in Atlanta with one of my best friends, Chad Adams. At the 2010 Show Chad told me he thought we could bring the 2012 Show to Atlanta. I immediately told him he was CRAZY. Well, two years and a lot of hard work later we indeed brought the biggest Discus Show in North America to Atlanta and it was one of the biggest highlights of my life. Another shameless plug - The NADA 2014 Show in Austin is less than a year away. You don't want to miss this. You will absolutely not be disappointed.

Q What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

A - Well this is an easy question to answer. I have been completely unsuccessful in getting Wilds to pair and spawn. It has been very frustrating to have a couple of tanks of healthy Wilds and not even get two to show signs of pairing. I tried a little bit of everything from adjusting the water, making the water black, different foods, simulating dry and rainy seasons. Nothing worked. So frustrating that I sold all my wilds. At some point I will give it another go. Maybe I will get Pat to ship some of her water to me, lol.

Q - Do you have any future discus plans that you would like to share with us?

A - Nothing immediate but my father in law has 120 acres about 1 1/2 hours outside Atlanta in the country. We have a 5 acre tract there and in 3 to 5 years we plan on building a house and moving there. When we do my plan is to build a separate fish house. I will be officially retired by then and will have time to really devote to my breeding endeavors.

Q - How do those in your life feel about discus?

A - I'm the only one into the fish but I have an amazing wife that has been more supportive than I could have ever hoped for. When I put my first tanks in the basement she told me I needed to clean out an adjacent area. When I asked her why she replied "you know you want be stopping with just this". She spent Thursday - Sunday of the NADA 2012 Show behind the registration table bombarded with questions and demands even though she really isn't involved with the hobby. I'm a lucky guy to have her.

Q - Do you have any funny, amusing or interesting discus stories to share with us?

A - My very first spawn was the closest I have come to breeding wilds. It was a cross with a Wild Green and a Stendker Tefe. I posted pictures on Simply and had people tell me how great it was that I actually got them to breed. I had no idea wilds were supposed to be harder to breed. Heck I needed a tank to put the female Tefe in and the tank of wild greens was handy. Sometimes just letting things happen without trying to be so controlling works best.

Q - Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some applause?

A -I've already mentioned. Roger Lorts spent a lot of time talking with me about the requirements of keeping discus and encouraged me from the start. Chad Adams has been a true friend and has always been available when I had doubts or questions. Al and Simply have been a great source of info truly a place to learn as much as I can about this hobby I have chosen. Too many others to list.

Q - What do you see as the future of discus keeping? More/less people? Any cool ideas for strains?

A - The future of discus keeping along with the future of fish keeping in general concerns me. I think there are less and less young people keeping and breeding tropical fish. Each one of us needs to keep this in mind and look for ways to involve others in our hobby. Growing the hobby insures that these wonderful fish we keep will continue to be around and not just a picture in a book or something we see at a Zoo. One of my goals has been to always make myself available to people looking to get into the hobby. I try to seek them out and invite them to see the fish room and encourage them as I have been encouraged. I challenge all who read this to do the same.

Breeding

Q - How did you decide to take the plunge into breeding as a significant part of your fish keeping?

A - The Atlanta Area Aquarium Association has a Breeders Award Program. Most local clubs have a program like this. The program encourages us to breed different species of fish and awards points to us based on the difficulty of the fish we breed. At different levels of points we get a title (like expert breeder) and a plaque. This program along with the members of the club led me to really plunge into breeding. I've reached the status of Advanced Breeder and am just a few points away from the next level. I probably have enough new spawns in my tanks to get me there.

Q - What were the major obstacles involved in setting up as a breeder? Any advice for aspiring breeders?

A - Well it takes a lot of tanks, a lot of water, a lot of patience, a lot of money, and a lot of time and work. Other than that it is no big deal, lol. Joking aside, I guess it depends on how you define "breeder". If someone just wants the experience of breeding discus then it just takes a little time and effort. If someone wants to raise and sell discus on a hobbyist scale then it does take a good deal of work, tanks, patience and money. To be a true breeder of Discus requires a huge understanding of the genetics to go along with the time and effort.

Q - How many pairs do you currently have producing? How many tanks?

A - I have 31 tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 125 gallons. About half of the tanks are devoted to discus and the other half to Apistos, Rams and Angels. I have 4 proven pairs of discus and 4 unproven.

Q - Any tips on breeding or raising discus? Tricks or methods you use to encourage pairs to breed?

A - I like to let a pair go a week or so without changing water in the tank and then hit them with a 100% change of much cooler water. My tanks are usually around 82 degrees and I will give them a change of water around 75 or so.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: September 2013 Member Spotlight - Bugman

Wow great interview and awesome collection. Thank you Larry for sharing.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Great read as always. You've got some really beautiful fish there Larry, well done.
    President - North American Discus Association

Awesome!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

Like your spotted.Nice setup. Don,Ga.

Registered Member

Wow, those spotted are great as are the others!

Ron

Wow! Great story and the pics are amazing! Wish I had room for a fish room.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Great interview, Larry. Very nice to learn more about you.
    Love your fish & fish room !

Great read - thanks Larry!

Adam

Great to get to know you, wow, tanks galore, and your fish are absolutely beautiful!

Silver Member

Totally impressing. Thanks for a great post.

Paul

Very nice Larry!!

Thanks
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Some very nice fish there Larry and a great read too - thanks for doing this
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. When Pat first asked me to do this I told her I didn't feel like I was qualified. There are a lot of Simply members that have been keeping and breeding discus a lot longer than me and are certainly more knowledgeable. I had to realize that being the Spotlight Member didn't mean Spotlight Expert before agreeing to do it. I really love this hobby. It gives me a great deal of joy and satisfaction and sharing makes it just that much better.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Larry, I am so glad you accepted. You have some super nice fish. I was drooling.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast