AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work - Part 1 The Aquarium

Default Re: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work - Part 1 The Aquarium

Paul,

I don't know if the entire top comes off the Lifeguard model, or just the water flow "screw top". I suppose if the top comes off, we could use the same 250 u polyester mesh that you used to prevent the Purigen from escaping. If one is using a canister filter, the Lifeguard with Purigen could be plumbed as shown in the instruction manual (I'd add a ball valve to control flow) or placed on the return side of a sump;

Josie, that sure is fantastic tank! Congrats.

CraigJ

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Paul,

I don't know if the entire top comes off the Lifeguard model, or just the water flow "screw top". I suppose if the top comes off, we could use the same 250 u polyester mesh that you used to prevent the Purigen from escaping. If one is using a canister filter, the Lifeguard with Purigen could be plumbed as shown in the instruction manual (I'd add a ball valve to control flow) or placed on the return side of a sump;

Josie, that sure is fantastic tank! Congrats.

CraigJ
    Craig,

That approach has potential (depending on the ability of the reactor to keep the Purigen beads out of the aquarium and that the mesh screening does not become clogged). Be sure that you have sufficient pleated filter area for the mechanical filter and that it filters down to about 30 u. My mechanical filter provides 60 sq ft, I have 10 adult discus and my cleaning schedule is monthly. You can scale your system accordingly. For example if you have 5 adult discus and are willing to service the filter twice a month, you only need 15 sq ft of pleated filter. My estimates here are conservative.

I would also suggest adding a second valve to the input of the reactor, and also other valves that will let you service the both devices without spilling allot of water.

Not sure what you mean by "placed on the return side of a sump."

Don't forget the other considerations called out in my posts.

By all means keep us posted as to your progress.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Silver Member

Josie,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'm sorry I overlooked your input and forgot to answer. Hope you will cut a little slack to an old guy that is getting more forgetful with age.

What you have there looks really great. I'm very interested in obtaining more details about the results you have achieved. Please take a few moments to answer my questions below, as this will assist me greatly.

1) Do any of the Purigen beads pass thru the floss material?

2) Have you noticed any reduction in algae and slime in your aquarium? If so, how much?

3) Does the feces dissolve/dissipate?

Thanks again and hope to hear from you real soon.

Paul

Paul,

When rejuvenating your purigen, after soaking in bleach, do you store it in the prime solution used in the rejuvenating process, tap water, or some other solution? I understand you do not let it dry out again because it can crack, so you let it soak for a month before re-using it. Do you think it would be harmful or helpful to let it soak in the original prime solution used to rejuvenate it until needed?

Paul, very nice.. I really need help, love these fish but need something better then what I am doing now, and that is 30 gal aged water and changing every other day in 75 gallon tank. can be a pain. takes about 35 for 45 min from changing water to filling back up the 30 gallon bucking water back and forth...

Show me a better way. Hope the cost is not to high..

Jm,

You can simplify more if you don't have to age water. Unless you have a ph swing it may not be necessary.

One simple method is a python from the kitchen sink to drain and fill. Probably the easiest way, but uses lots of water.

Another way to simplify is a pump to move water from the tank to the yard and from a container (in the bathtub) to the tank. I have a submersible pump that very quickly moves the water both ways, but not useful for vacuuming. So I got another inline pump that self priming and attached my siphon to it. I use it to clean the bottom and drain the tank. The same pump could be used to drain and fill, but I'm not sure about filling with garden hose- I use a 1" reinforced vinyl hose for filling.

simple way is a 50 gallon container that fits in the bathtub, under the spout (had to notch out for the spout).

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    Paul,

When rejuvenating your purigen, after soaking in bleach, do you store it in the prime solution used in the rejuvenating process, tap water, or some other solution? I understand you do not let it dry out again because it can crack, so you let it soak for a month before re-using it. Do you think it would be harmful or helpful to let it soak in the original prime solution used to rejuvenate it until needed?
    OC Discus,

Here's how I do it. Rinse the used Purigen a couple of times. Place it in a jar containing 50% bleach solution overnight. Be sure to use bleach that does NOT contain Sodium Hydroxide (a type of soap). If you are unsure, place some in a jar and shake it, there should not be any foam 3 seconds after shaking it. The next day rinse the Purigen beads in plain water several times, add some tap water, and put in 1/2 cap of Prime and soak overnight. Then the Purigen can be reused at any time by rinsing it several more times before using.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thank you Paul. The instructions with my Purigen pouches call for soaking in 2 tablespoons of prime per cup of water for 8 hours after bleaching. So my dechlorinating container has 2 cups of water, 4 tablespoons of prime and 4 100 ml pouches of purigen. I'm just wondering if it is safe to leave it soaking in that solution for a month until I'm ready to use it, or if I should store it in plain tap water.

Can anyone else answer this question?
    Last edited by OC Discus; 03-23-2014 at 09:51 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

OC and Paul, Both are good methods.... what I do after is dry it out with painters mesh on a counter to evaporate any left over chemi.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Thanks Josie. Paul said he had experienced the purigen cracking after being dried a few times. I havn't used it long enough to know. If it cracks and breaks down it could pass through the mesh and into the tank.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    Thanks Josie. Paul said he had experienced the purigen cracking after being dried a few times. I havn't used it long enough to know. If it cracks and breaks down it could pass through the mesh and into the tank.
    I don't dry it completely I more spread it out and let the air hit it. But it can break down he's right
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Josie,

How often do you have fish like your avatar for sale? Isn't that called a female Chicago blue? What is the mix? Looks like a Penang Eruption cross- very nice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234