AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work - Part 1 The Aquarium

Silver Member

Default Getting the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work - Part 1 The Aquarium

My experience with discus began about 10 years ago. Although I've had aquariums all of my adult life (I'm now 74), I have to say that out of all these years, the discus has been my most satisifying and delightful fish of all. (I love those beautiful round flat fish). My interest centers around the display tank with adult fish. Also, I have to say that I had my share of failures with discus, but with most failures I learned something. Recently I stumbled onto something that has allowed me to have a display tank that is significantly cleaner (big time) and at the same time, requires a whole lot less time and work to maintain it (big time).

How did I accomplish this, you say? The easy answer is: by putting together all of the elements for a properly sized and functioning filtration system, which includes a Purigen Reactor. Now, I'm fully aware that there is more than one way to accomplish everything, so what I'm presenting to you is my approach, and not necessarly the only way. Also, please keep in mind that the filtration system presented here is primarly intended for keeping adult discus in a display tank. I don't know much about breeding, grow-out tanks, biotopes, or tanks with sumps, so I recommend that you read all five parts of this presentation, and then proceed with caution before attempting to add a Purigen Reactor to an existing filtration system. I'll be glad to help by answering questions. I put a lot of time in preparing this because I have learned so much from others on SD, and this is my way of perhaps passing something to others.

The Results Obtained In the Tank: I'm going to begin by showing some pictures of my fish that indicate their general health and condition. These pictures show the status of my tank and fish about 6 months after implementing all of the elements of the filtration system I present in Part 3. If you are not familiar with Photobucket, the explanation below may help.

How Photobucket works:
    Click on the link below
    Click on the upper left thumbnail
    Use scroll to center picture
    Use pointer to click on arrow to advance

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ps...The%20Aquarium

Photobucket has a feature which allows me to let others copy the pictures. I have enabled the copy feature providing it is for personal use only and not for commercial purposes.

Next, some pictures that show the condition of the tank:

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ps...tem/The%20Tank

Finally, a video of my fish at feeding time:

http://youtu.be/DkHlhLHjJEg

Reduced Maintenance: This is how the implementation of the filtration system has reduced the amount of effort to keep it clean: the only cleaning that I now perform to the tank is monthly. Don't have to siphon fish poop or debris off the tank bottom between monthly tank cleanings, because there's not enough to bother with. The amount that is there is less than one days accumulation. There is absolutely no visible signs of algae anywhere in the tank six months after setting it up. There are some VERY small signs of slime on the artifical reef and a few other things in the tank, but this has not reached the level where I have to remove it for cleaning after six months in the tank. I've been using a magnetic cleaning device on the bow front, but its probably not necessary to clean it every month, as I really can't tell the difference after cleaning. Since algae and slime are the major contributors to the work involved in cleaning, the job is much reduced. When I finish with the monthly cleaning, I siphon off the bottom, but there is really not much there. One thing that I do have to do is to replace the bubble stones in the lift tubes about every three months.

A Side Benefit: The filtration system keeps the water polished to a degree matched by a diatom filter that I once used a long time ago. The water is so clean that the fish seem to be floating in air. When the sun shines thru it from one end to another, there's almost no visible signs of anything in the water. This is illustrated in two of the pictures showing the condition of my tank. My water has always been clean, but I was supprised by the improvement.

The WOW Affect: Visitors come into our home and, when entering the family room, are immediately drawn to the aquarium. Almost everyone wants to know about it and remarks about how beautiful it looks, especially the fish. On a few occasions someone will take one look at it and simply say "WOW." The affect is due to a number of factors, starting with the black cherry cabinet: it immediately focuses the attention to the interior of the tank. The colors of the fish are really quite striking, especially when viewed thru crystal clear water and illuminated with a LED lighting system that intensifies the blues and reds. But it's the pristine clean conditions of the tank and the decorations in it that sets everything off. If an aquarium shows obvious signs of needing cleaning it really subtracts from the total affect. The best part of all of this is that I don't have to work like a dog to keep it clean. With the elemination of algae, slime and fish poop, it looks like its just been cleaned, and it stays that way for an entire month.

Thus a summary of the results are given above. I will present the method that I used to achieve these results in the remaining four parts:

Part 2: Water Exchange System
    Part 3: Water Filtration System
    Part 4: Purigen Reactor Design Requirements and Reactor Details
    Part 5: Concluding Remarks

Will post Part 2 soon, perhaps tomorrow.

Paul

Default Re: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot Less Work - Part 1 The Aquarium

Looking forward to part two.
    Still, Discus with in coral reef setting? Just curious why you chose that combination.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Looking forward to part two.
    Still, Discus with in coral reef setting? Just curious why you chose that combination.
    Yea, I understand where you are coming from. A coral reef is a totally unrealistic environment for a discus, but the fish don't seem to mind. Some purists on the SD forum are probably shaking their heads when they see discus along side an imitation coral reef. But I like it, and most of the guests that visit our home think that they are salt water fish anyway. (The imitation coral reef is more realistic when viewed from a distance.)

I'm a SCUBA diver (or at least I was until my health would not let me do it anymore). I've traveled to many places in the world in pursuit of the hobby, taking pictures of "small weird" sea creatures. I really miss doing that. So the coral reef helps revive some of the fond memories of those trips. So please excuse an old man's folly.

Incidentally, the pictures presented were taken with the same camera that I used underwater (it's dual purpose: underwater and land based).

Paul

Registered Member

I kinda like the Coral Reef set up!...Especially for the PB's and Albinos, since these strains don't look natural to me...go good with an unnatural setting...Bill

Nick Klimkowski

Great information. I look forward to Part 2. Thank you for sharing.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I look forward to part 2 also Paul
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Can't wait for part 2!

Registered Member

Thank you very much for this! I have always thought that PBs look like they should be in a coral reef (mine are in a "biotope". While my brain wont quite let me accept this setup as real it is very attractive.

Looking forward to the upcoming parts.

Ron

I'm a SCUBA diver (or at least I was until my health would not let me do it anymore). I've traveled to many places in the world in pursuit of the hobby, taking pictures of "small weird" sea creatures. I really miss doing that. So the coral reef helps revive some of the fond memories of those trips. So please excuse an old man's folly.
    Not knocking the set up, just curious. Why not a reef tank with the same filter set up?
    (Have enjoyed UW photography for 20+ years http://sbysshe.smugmug.com/Underwater)

Actually the fish colors look almost natural on a reef.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Not knocking the set up, just curious. Why not a reef tank with the same filter set up?
    (Have enjoyed UW photography for 20+ years http://sbysshe.smugmug.com/Underwater)

Actually the fish colors look almost natural on a reef.
    Stan,

THANK YOU so much for the awesome pictures. Really made my day. I'll bet you and I could swap some pretty good stories. I assume you were involved professionally with your photography. I am so impressed. I'm an amateur, but I know what patience and skill it takes to get pictures like yours. I have a whole room devoted to my UW pictures, but my success is very limited compared to yours.

Guess I chose Discus for my tank because I just love those round flat fish. Perhaps someday I will start a reef tank.

Paul

You've developed an absolutely outstanding discus display tank environment - the reef/marine elements are unique and not often seen in a discus set-up, but the do nonetheless create an attractive, dramatic atmosphere.

I too am not far off your age and have been fish-keeping pretty much all my life, since I was a young teen. Discus tank cleanliness in a planted/decorative environment has always been a focus of mine, and although I've also achieved what I consider to be pristine, crystal clear water conditions, with little effort to keep it that way, it certainly hasn't been at the level you have produced - and I admire you for that. Although I don't use a reactor, I do consider Purigen as being one of the most crucial elements to achieving the results I've looked for & maintained.

Looking forward to Part 2.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You've developed an absolutely outstanding discus display tank environment - the reef/marine elements are unique and not often seen in a discus set-up, but the do nonetheless create an attractive, dramatic atmosphere.

I too am not far off your age and have been fish-keeping pretty much all my life, since I was a young teen. Discus tank cleanliness in a planted/decorative environment has always been a focus of mine, and although I've also achieved what I consider to be pristine, crystal clear water conditions, with little effort to keep it that way, it certainly hasn't been at the level you have produced - and I admire you for that. Although I don't use a reactor, I do consider Purigen as being one of the most crucial elements to achieving the results I've looked for & maintained.

Looking forward to Part 2.
    Paul,

Thank you for your very kind remarks. I must say that I admire the looks of a planted tank and respect the knowhow that it requires to achieve it. Would be interested in knowing the number of fish and size of the tank that you have. Also, what do you feed them and how often you do maintenance. I know very little about planted tanks and I'm curious to know the difference between your accomplishment and mine. Your approach is obviously the more natural way to achieve a beautiful tank, while mine is based on using artificial means. Also, how much and in what way do you use Purigen?

Paul

Registered Member

Paul,

Your fish and tank are beautiful. Your discus are super healthy. They obviously do not mind the background. How often do you feed them? How do you clean behind the artificial reef?

Joe

I am also definitely interested in following this thread. I have used Purigen on and off for years, but only in "The Bag" in a HOB filter. Using it in a reactor sounds like a great idea. Your tank is quite striking.

Stan, thanks for sharing the link to your photography. Your photographs are some of the most stunning I've ever seen.
    Joan

I have not recently had more than 3 planted discus tanks going at once. Over the past few years, I've simply focused on growing out juvie discus in planted environments, just to see if I could successfully do that, repeatedly.
    Haven't lost a fish in about 4 years, except for a couple of jumpers - alas - uncovered tanks - my bad.
    I'm no longer interested in breeding discus and raising fry, and I usually sell a batch of fish when they reach 5"-6", and get another group of 3" to grow out. Over the past 5 years or so, I've kept about 20 or so at a time in my tanks.

I employ a very simple filtration system on my planted tanks, usually a couple of AC HOB filters for ease of cleansing, maintenance, media replacement, etc., and in all cases I use bagged Purigen 24/7, in a relatively thin layer (not more than 1/2"), which I re-charge religiously about every 3 weeks, rotating the timing between filters.

I do however, do a meticulous clean up of fish wastes, decomposing plant matter, or other detritus, each time I do a wc, which is usually 3 X week @ 60%- 70% quantity. I also use a few other simple mechanical procedures to assist with water clarifying & purifying - and plant only hardy plants that can do well at the higher discus temps, and maintain tank temp @ no more than 83 F as a concession to the plants - even though the focus is of course always on the discus.
    Feeding is quite simple - but I'm strong on protein: I feed FDBW, Frozen BW's, frozen Brine & Mysis shrimp, Omega One Flakes, NLS flakes, Discus Bio-Gold pellets, Tetra Color Granules & Crisps, & other foods, even Algae Wafers.

That's about it - I don't have any recent photos, but you might care to have a look at a couple of my set-ups over the past few years - others have no doubt seen them before, for which I apologize.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...3RedSnakeSkins
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...aul/lolliblues
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias

Keep in mind that these discus are all pretty much juvies, and from about 3" , & none are more than about 5" or so - in growing out stages.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast