AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot less Work--Part 2 Automated Water Exchange

Silver Member

Default Getting the WOW Affect with Allot less Work--Part 2 Automated Water Exchange

This is the second of a five part post about how to keep a discus display tank in a pristine clean condition, and spend significantly less time doing tank maintenance. In Part 1 I presented a number of pictures showing the general health and condition of my fish and included some pictures showing the clean conditions existing in the tank.

Water Exchange Methods: Water exchange is vital to keeping adult discus in a display tank, unless one is into biotopes where everything is in balance. I might try a biotope someday, but right now I'll take the easy way out and go for the water exchange method. The two extremes of accomplishing water exchange start with the "bucket brigade" method at one end, and the fully automated exchange method at the other end. I really admire those people that are so dedicated to their fish that they are willing to carry buckets day after day to support their fish. As for me, that's a task that I'm not willing to assume. But if that is the method that you choose, I dont know of any reason why it cant be used in conjunction with the filtration system presented in Part 3.

Semi-automated Water Exchange System: I chose a system somewhere between the two extremes. I call it a Semi-automated Water Exchange System. Basically, it works like this: once every few days I go down to my basement, turn a few valves, turn on a pump and wait until my "Mix Tank" is full. Then I enable the transfer pump to be controlled by a programmable timer, and that's it until the Mix Tank is empty . The programmable timer turns the pump on/off seven times a day, and each on/off cycle transfers 5 gallons to the aquarium. Thus a total of 35 gallons is transferred to the aquarium each day. A change in programming permits me to change the amount and when the exchanges occur. This system also provides for aging and pre-heating the water, and provisions for using a mix of RO and straight well water.

Here's a link to some Photobucket pictures that illustrate what it consists of:

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ps...hange%20System

How Much Water Exchange is Necessary?: The results obtained in Part 1 are dependant on water exchange by some method, automated or manual. I'm presently putting 35 g/d into the tank by a process which closely resembles the drip method. Using the equations for the drip method, 35 g/d results in a net of 30 g/d for a tank of 100 g. I would be highly hesitant to reduce this amount until I know more about the chemistry going on in the tank. All that poop (in a months time there is a lot of it) is going somewhere. A small portion (perhaps 1% or less) collects on the bottom of the tank. Quite a lot of it is trapped by the pleated mechanical filters. Some of it is being flushed out by the water exchange, and a small portion is absorbed by the Purigen reactor. I can say this, I have 10 adult discus in a 100 gallon tank and they seem to be doing quite well so far by placing 30 g/d of new water into the tank.

In Part 3, I will present the filtration system and discuss the operating characteristics of it.

Default Re: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot less Work--Part 2 Automated Water Exchange

Wooow,wish to have such a setup!!!

Default Re: Getting the WOW Affect with Allot less Work--Part 2 Automated Water Exchange

Where is your well water at that you don't use that directly? To hard?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
    Where is your well water at that you don't use that directly? To hard?
    There are a lot of people here at the SD forum that would say that I could use my well water without modification. And I believe what they say is so. It's just that I like to do everything that I can for my fish so that they are not only as healthy as possible but also as comfortable as I can make them. (That's the whole reason why I tried using Purigen in the first place.) Now I really don't know if soft water will actually help the situation, but it sure won't hurt.

On the other side of the coin, my well water is extremely cheap for me. I did the math and determined that it cost me $0.19 per 1000 gallons to get it out of the ground. Thus it costs $0.80 per month for the RO mix, and $0.20 per month if I used straight well water. So for the small price increase, I chose to use the RO mix.

As for those who use somewhat harder water, I say, go with whatever works for you. For all I know I may be wasting $0.60 per month.

Paul

I do a continuous drip system here, replenishment back through an RO system using a float valve in the aquarium
    with add-ins done on a pre-calculated basis with a peristaltic pump. Works great from me as it has for years.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    I do a continuous drip system here, replenishment back through an RO system using a float valve in the aquarium
    with add-ins done on a pre-calculated basis with a peristaltic pump. Works great from me as it has for years.
    Frank,

Interesting system, sounds simple and reliable. Had to look up what a peristaltic pump was, turns out my water Pic has one. Thanks for your post.

Paul

subscribed

Registered Member

I'm hoping the original poster is still around. Where did you source your R/O water storage container and the Mix Water Container? I've found these https://www.ntotank.com/125gallon-po...-tank-x7662795 but Shipping from texas might be brutal. Is there any industry that would carry them locally for something? Like stock tanks I can buy at a cattle feed store.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWM View Post
    I'm hoping the original poster is still around. Where did you source your R/O water storage container and the Mix Water Container? I've found these https://www.ntotank.com/125gallon-po...-tank-x7662795 but Shipping from texas might be brutal. Is there any industry that would carry them locally for something? Like stock tanks I can buy at a cattle feed store.
    Sorry, but I can't remember what source I purchased them from, as it was more than ten years ago. What I might suggest is to try ebay. They have a large selection of tanks, many with free shipping. Hope this is helpful.

Paul

Registered Member

how did you come up with the schematics. I would love, love, love a system like this but just DO NOT have the technical aptitude. I mean I guess I could but I would need heavy guidance.

*SIGH* I need a genius mentor.....any takers?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post
    how did you come up with the schematics. I would love, love, love a system like this but just DO NOT have the technical aptitude. I mean I guess I could but I would need heavy guidance.

We have one. Paul did a great job explaining his filter system in the following two url even I can follow them:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tration-System
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...stem-Functions

You can find all his writeup's on the tank in the stickies listed in this url:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...d)-NW-Arkansas

Good luck,
    Ron
    Last edited by alron2; 04-20-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post

I assume that you are referring to the automated water exchange system, not the complete filtration system.

Most of the parts are available at any home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes. If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them and provide assistance.

Paul

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    We have one. Paul did a great job explaining his filter system in the following two url even I can follow them:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tration-System
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...stem-Functions

You can find all his writeup's on the tank in the stickies listed in this url:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...d)-NW-Arkansas

Good luck,
    Ron
    Thanks for your help Ron.

Paul