AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Electric Blue Acaras

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Electric Blue Acaras

hi guys I need some help please I have search far and wide and could now find any answers. I have an older electric blue acara that is a little over 4 inches long and I don't know if its a male or female can anybody help me please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jerry

Hello, new to the forum and was actually trying to find the max size of the EBA. Seems it is about 4". I was told that I should also post this story on a forum like this it would get some reactions. When I got my EBA, I had also bought a Oscar with him, at the time they were both the same size, 2.5", I put them in a tank that had some very odd Pictus Catfish that I had got in a agreement for the tank, story for another time. Well they stayed close to each other as they grew, I didnt think anything of it at the time and was trying to get a smaller tank running to try and breed mollies. I scrapped that idea for the mollies and added them into the other tank. Well the male Molly tried to mate with the EBA and the Oscar on several occasions leaving the other Mollies alone. It ended up attacking the other Mollies and killing them over a months time. The Oscar outgrew both the Molly and the EBA had a good half inch on them, and at that time I added in 2 Jewels Cichlids to the tank. The 2 of them became a little brutish to the Oscar and the Acara. But the strangest thing started to happen after that point. The Oscar started to protect the Acara and chase off the other fish that came after it. It didn't stop there either. The Acara started to pick fights with the other fish and then run to the Oscar and the Oscar would fan out and scare the others off, letting only the Acara close to it. I was curious at that point and asked a few different pet stores about them, they all said that they had never heard of something like that before and that I should bost on a forum and see if anyone has heard of this. So hear I am. It has been several months since then and my Oscar is now 7" and the Acara is still only 3". But the Oscar will chase off anything in the tank that directly threatens then EBA.

I Have some coming tomorrow in my shipment . I'll have to watch for ick. They look pretty neat.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have 3 EBA's.One is 4";the other 2 are 4.5".I just removed them from my discus tank and am selling them today.They're almost a year old.

Registered Member

BLUELAGOON did you ever have any problems with your discus and eba getting along? Was thinking about trying this mix with adding one eba to my discus tank?

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone10003 View Post
    BLUELAGOON did you ever have any problems with your discus and eba getting along? Was thinking about trying this mix with adding one eba to my discus tank?
    I didn't have a real problem;the occasional nip at the discus.They get a bit on the mean side during breeding.I probably wouldn't do it again.I kept them in a six foot tank.I would not put them in with young discus.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 09-17-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

We have been breeding the EBAs for just over a year now. As you probably found out, they do breed true. We do keep them with Discus, but only adult, or sub-adult discus. We have kept them with smaller discus, maybe quarter size, and there were never any aggression issues. The biggest problem we found with the the Acaras is that they are very aggressive feeders, while discus are not. The EBAs would out-eat the discus, and in order for the discus to get enough food, we had to overfeed the tank. They generally stay near the bottom of the water column and move in and out of cover. They are very fast, and excellent jumpers!!

Registered Member

Judging from the egg tube protruding the bottom of your fish in the picture, I think it's likely to be a female.

I'm lucky to have a mating pair too. I only bought 2 and got really lucky 1 male 1 female. The fry is growing veryyyyy slowly. Will update the baby growth process time lapse soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgRPVGOlb8

Quote Originally Posted by feignfacade View Post
    hi guys I need some help please I have search far and wide and could now find any answers. I have an older electric blue acara that is a little over 4 inches long and I don't know if its a male or female can anybody help me please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    You can say that again! It's amazing how much of a difference there is between the fry from a reg Blue X Electric vs an Electric X Electric. The latter are much slower to develop and they seem more feeble. That batch is a fraction of the size of the other two "mixed" batches. I've got hundreds between the three batches. I don't think I've seen fish any better at parenting than these, you were right. I left a small group of fry with the first pair in the 120 and they still have them and are protecting them. The same with the third pair. I know what you mean about spawning activity. Getting rid of/selling fish is tough for me here, I don't know what I'll do with all these acaras and I still have a big batch of Red Head Tapajos to move out of here. I have two pairs that keep having huge spawns, but I just have to let it go. On the other hand, the discus that I want to breed are ridiculous- they lay eggs every week, but can't get it right.
    A bit of an old thread here, but did you manage to raise the Blue Acara x Electric Blue Acara fry up, and how did those come out looking? I was hoping you might have posted a photo of them but I didn't see one here, and I thought that could potentially be quite a good look with the wild colouring enhanced with extra iridescence?

DITTO.. i too am invoking from the Dead.. this thread
    i am getting an interest in these fish..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

This is a pair of my Electric Blue Acaras. I have had them for 2 1/2 years. 1 male and 2 females...he breeds with both of the ladies so they always have eggs! From my experience, they are only aggressive when spawning. Mine do this all the time so it's a bit problematic but they are great parents and their color is beautiful. Mine also are quite friendly when someone walks up to the tank and accept food out of my hand.

Registered Member

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bud Porembski

I have a mature (5-6") female. I'm looking for a mate for her. I believe they are morphs of Aequidens Pulcher. They are considerably less aggressive than many other cichlids. Mine has been living with a couple red-tailed barbs for 2+ years.EBAcara.JPG

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345