AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Converting to LED

Registered Member

Default Converting to LED

I am looking to convert from fluorescent to LED. Right now I've got a 46 gallon bow front but will be going bigger as the fish grow next year. are there any good reasonable modular LED recommendations that can grow as I upgrade next year??

Default Re: Converting to LED

I have three different LED fixtures right now. A Marineland Double Bright, a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture and a couple of Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixtures. I think a lot depends on the depth of your tank and what you have in it (fish only or fish and plants). My Marineland Double Bright is only partially functional. I don't know if something got wet or loose, but several lights don't work any more. The Current USA is a decent fixture for the price, I was a little disappointed in the amount of light it gives off. I don't really play around with the different modes though. It comes with a remote control. I picked the Aqueons up on clearance from a Petco and added the extra modules. They've worked very well for me actually. All of these are considered very inexpensive in the LED world, but for my purposes they work well and really help with the electric bill. I've had everything from these to metal halides and for me it's the way to go. I actually have a couple of screw in LED bulbs in reflectors aimed at the plants in one section of my sump and the plants are growing just fine.
    Joan

Beamworks led
    ebay.com
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I use aqua ray LEDs with the controller. Expensive, but incredible lights, and I especially like the ability to set a program for them where I control sunup, mid-day and sun down, and how long it takes to ramp up to mid-day, and how long it takes to ramp down as well. You can also control the after sun down brightness.

Lightning storm to stimulate breeding? Yes, it does that as well.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    I use aqua ray LEDs with the controller. Expensive, but incredible lights, and I especially like the ability to set a program for them where I control sunup, mid-day and sun down, and how long it takes to ramp up to mid-day, and how long it takes to ramp down as well. You can also control the after sun down brightness.

Lightning storm to stimulate breeding? Yes, it does that as well.
    Those are some cool lights, however i don't know that my set up will require the occasional lightning storm!

Quote Originally Posted by steinbc View Post
    Those are some cool lights, however i don't know that my set up will require the occasional lightning storm!
    Probably never! I have to admit though, to sit in my darkened aquarium room, after another incredible day at the office, stiff drink in hand, it is extremely relaxing to watch the aquarium lights dimming slowly, before the lightning storm begins.

Registered Member

There is another thread going on in General Discussion about this very same thing. I found Warlock's home build and think i may give that a try to see what i get.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...discus-advices

Registered Member Madaboutdiscus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Beamworks led
    ebay.com
    Great light. Got mine for 34 bucks and tje fish love it. No algae growth. The fish love the blue setting. Not too bright. Love it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2