ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish room setup

Default Fish room setup

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me i been starting to setup a fish room in my basement i bought a pump that powers up to 30 tanks but i cant heat the whole room so i have to do heaters in each tank. Does anyone know how much it might raise my electric bill running anywhere from 15-20 200w heaters. Thank you

Default Re: Fish room setup

Have you considered a sump setup with heaters in the sump.there are a few threads covering it.Whatsize are the tanks could 100w heaters not cope.but im sure the 15 200w heaters would push it up quite a bit

im doing tanks up to around 20 gallons and where can i find the threads about the sump? i figured use bigger heaters to power the smaller tanks like 15 gallons cause you can keep them on a lower temp to get the temputer to where u want and it will shut off more often then. thank you quitin

Registered Member

Have you try ele heater? The one you plug into the outlet.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...iy-sump-setups

thats the link for the thred on diy sumps any of the guys replying to that thred should be able to give you info regarding the heating in sump setup.try sending a pm to one of them.then also look under fish room setups under threads.i cant find the actual thread i was refering to.
    Good luck christian

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

For the sump ideal to really help you would have to have all of the tanks on the same system. With discus that is normally a bad deal. For one you can't Q them correctly and second discus at different ages have different needs. juvi's needs lots of large water changes and older discus fewer and smaller changes. If you cannot heat the entire room then individual tank setup ups will give you the most control. Can't tell you how much it will raise your bill. That depends on your local electrical rates, the "normal" tempature of the roon, and on the incoming water temp.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Here in Philadelphia raised mine like $125.00 and in winter time I think like close to $200. It's kind of expense here with the electric bill.

In New York, your basement will be cold. I bet the electric company could give you a good estimate. Some electric companies will come to your home and do a free heating/cooling analysis- checking your home for insulation, etc. Would be worth a phone call.