ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 240 gallon SA tank

Default 240 gallon SA tank

So long story short, I moved to an high rise apt not too long ago. I had to get rid of all my old tanks, but end up keeping the 240 Midwest custom. My parents were nice enough to let me leave it in their sun room until I can retrieve it (maybe one or two year once I'm done living the city life and move back to a house in the suburb). Currently I only have a 45 gallon cube tank w a pair of trombetas wild discus at the apartment. But the 240 is still running at my parent house at the moment.

Dimension 8'x2'x2'

Stock:

- 5 uaru (8-12")
    - 5 jurupari (5-7")
    - 2 surinamesis (7")

Also

- 1 Oscar (10"), 1 chocolate cichlids (10"), 1 severum (8")

The goal is to converting the tank into a wild discus/uaru tank once I get it back. Of course I will remove the Oscar, chocolate cichlids, and severum, and maybe even the jurupari/surinamesis and swap out for a small group of daemon instead, but that's for later down the road.

Here's a pic of my prized uaru

Anyone have experience keeping discus/uaru together? Any info would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: 240 gallon SA tank

I have no experience myself but my LFS had a breeding pair that were probably 14-16" in a tank with their discus and never had a problem.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

I kept uaru and discus together. You will need to work out feeding issues because uaru will push your discus out of the way for food every time. They're much more aggressive eaters than discus. Otherwise their personalities and water requirements work well together, and the large tank size will help. If the uaru pair up you may see some aggression toward the discus.

Yea I know that will probably be the biggest issue. The Uaru can hold their own against more aggressive fish even like vieja when I had one in the tank, plus their size worries me a little because the biggest is at 12" and he is still growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I kept uaru and discus together. You will need to work out feeding issues because uaru will push your discus out of the way for food every time. They're much more aggressive eaters than discus. Otherwise their personalities and water requirements work well together, and the large tank size will help. If the uaru pair up you may see some aggression toward the discus.
    This is very good advice I also had good success.
    180G heavily filtered with a Wet dry and a FX5: 10" Green Severum, 7" Gold Severum, 10" green terror, 8" Jaguar synondontis, 2 turtles.
    90G heavily filtered with a Wet dry and an Aquaclear 500. Seven 3" & Seventeen 1.5" Stendker Discus and One 7" Arowana

Good to know. I am growing out a couple of uarus. They are at that adorable dime to a nickel stage.
    Joan

Can you post some pictures of your severum? I have been trying to gather more and more information about them. I have a Severum Ef. And would like to know what species you are keeping as well as size, age, color, and anything else you can tell me.

Default 240 gallon SA tank

Sorry for the late reply... 4 months later lol... It is just a rotkeil severum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kept daemons and uaru's for years. By far my favorite fish. Keep posting some pics!

Registered Member

That is the best looking Rotkeil I've ever seen! So much red!!

Quote Originally Posted by decoy50 View Post
    That is the best looking Rotkeil I've ever seen! So much red!!
    Thanks! I grew him out from a 2" baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk