AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Week Update on Juvie Tank

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default 2 Week Update on Juvie Tank

Ok, it's been exactly two weeks since my batch of juvies arrived from Hans. I gave them all a quick measurement the day they went into the tank. No pics of course since they were stressed enough from the travel, just "grab from the bag, measure fast and plop them in".

Here's where they stood 2 weeks ago:

Original 3" tester discus - 3.5" (aka Little Guy)
    Tefe - 3"
    Cobalt - 3"
    Brilliant Turq - 3"
    Snakeskin Pigeon - 2.75"

I had Tim take some pics for me as I measured them all this morning during water change. The cobalt and brilliant turq pics are too blurry to see, but the others turned out "ok". LOL

Original Tester Discus - 4" (hard to tell because he was too busy scrunchy up his body to get ready for flipping out of my hand - see pic at the bottom of the post!)
    Red-Scrib.jpg

Tefe - 3.75" That's .75" growth in just two weeks! Can we say HUGE piggie??!! LOL

Tefe.jpg

Snakeskin Pigeon - 3+" - so 1/2" of growth in 2 weeks.

Snakeskin.jpg

Cobalt - 3.5"
    Brilliant Turq - 3.5"

Looks like the growth is about on track for 1" total by the end of the month. Well, except for the Tefe, and who knows with that guy. He's gotten to be a bit of a bully, not in a mean way, but he definitely tries to hog all the food as it hits the tank. Thank goodness the others aren't intimidated by all his posturing and swishing about. They just head to the other end and eat till their bellies bulge.

And now for the pic I promosed of Little Guy, doing his backflip out of my hands. He did it three times and by the third time Tim was laughing so hard at me that I thought he was going to fall over. He took a pic of it the second time it happened. Didn't hurt little guy at all, just managed to get me all flustered because I couldn't manage to get him to lay flat and pose for the camera. LOL

Squirmy-RS.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 2 Week Update on Juvie Tank

So Toni, I see a meeting of the waters. My water to breed the wilds and your water to grow them out. Definitely worth a future experiment.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I'm on board Pat!! =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I know Toni. Great job on your current juvies.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Do you mind sharing your wc /feeding routine!?

- oz

Hi Oscar, sure thing!

They are currently in a 20 gallon tank, so, since that's a wee bit too small for them, I've been doing a 120% WC in the morning (more on that in a sec) and a 90% WC at night.

For feedings they get flakes at 8am, an hour after the lights go on, then a small beefheart feeding at 9am, then WC at 9:30. FDBW's after WC, then more worms at noon and 3pm. Flakes and the other half of the beefheart cube at 6pm, then WC at 8pm and half a cube of FDBW's at 9pm so that they can graze and nibble all night long. So it's a total of 7 smallish sized feedings.

Ok, for the 120% WC, I don't like draining the tank totally dry on them. I'm just not set up for doing that comfortably, SO, I drain the tank till it's just above their top fins, then add a 1/2 dose of prime and start filling the tank while continuing to siphon out water and finish catching any little bits I missed. Once the tank is 1/2 full, I stop filling and drain till it's back to the tops of the their fins. Then add a dose of Prime and fill to the top. It gets the tank squeaky clean and helps with the fact that it's only a 20g tank.

Hmmm, what else do I do that stands out. Oh, I use a foam scrubbie to wipe down the sides, bottom, heater and tubing at each water change. They seem to create a lot more slime than I expected for such little guys. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Christopher G

They're coming along nicely Toni. Great job with their care. I might try to incorporate some your routine with mine, that is once I order them, if you don't mind.

I hope it's ok that I call you Toni, instead of strawberry blonde
    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Chris, can't wait to see your results when you get your discus, and yes, please use anything in my routine that you like. =)

Oh and I definitely don't mind being called Toni, especially since you spell it correctly! Around family and friends I'm either Toni, Berry, Strawberry or Hey You. Take your pick. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

On Right Hands

Excited to see these guys becoming jumbo's!!! Good luck!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Ok, it's been exactly two weeks since my batch of juvies arrived from Hans. I gave them all a quick measurement the day they went into the tank. No pics of course since they were stressed enough from the travel, just "grab from the bag, measure fast and plop them in".

Here's where they stood 2 weeks ago:

Original 3" tester discus - 3.5" (aka Little Guy)
    Tefe - 3"
    Cobalt - 3"
    Brilliant Turq - 3"
    Snakeskin Pigeon - 2.75"

I had Tim take some pics for me as I measured them all this morning during water change. The cobalt and brilliant turq pics are too blurry to see, but the others turned out "ok". LOL

Original Tester Discus - 4" (hard to tell because he was too busy scrunchy up his body to get ready for flipping out of my hand - see pic at the bottom of the post!)
    Red-Scrib.jpg

Tefe - 3.75" That's .75" growth in just two weeks! Can we say HUGE piggie??!! LOL

Tefe.jpg

Snakeskin Pigeon - 3+" - so 1/2" of growth in 2 weeks.

Snakeskin.jpg

Cobalt - 3.5"
    Brilliant Turq - 3.5"

Looks like the growth is about on track for 1" total by the end of the month. Well, except for the Tefe, and who knows with that guy. He's gotten to be a bit of a bully, not in a mean way, but he definitely tries to hog all the food as it hits the tank. Thank goodness the others aren't intimidated by all his posturing and swishing about. They just head to the other end and eat till their bellies bulge.

And now for the pic I promosed of Little Guy, doing his backflip out of my hands. He did it three times and by the third time Tim was laughing so hard at me that I thought he was going to fall over. He took a pic of it the second time it happened. Didn't hurt little guy at all, just managed to get me all flustered because I couldn't manage to get him to lay flat and pose for the camera. LOL

Squirmy-RS.jpg

Real Name
    Rick

Toni,

I see one of your "tester" discus is a pb? Wouldn't they be immune to what you are testing for?

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Toni,

I see one of your "tester" discus is a pb? Wouldn't they be immune to what you are testing for?

-Rick
    Hi Rick,

The "tester" discus that Hans sent me were 2 red turqs/red scribs (can't remember which one he said..lol). Those little guys did all the QT testing for my remaining jumbo's, etc. Once QT was done and Hans said all was safe, I knew I had to get some little friends for the smaller of the tester discus.

The larger guy is in a tank by himself and is now 4 1/2". As soon as he hits 5" he can go to the main tank and hang with the big boys. He's a mean sum *itch and tries his best to kill anything smaller than himself..hence the need for him to be by himself for now.

The one in the pic above was the little guy from the testing phase. Poor thing just didn't appreciate all that QT with jumbo discus and failed to thrive. Now that he's in a tank of his own with four little friends, he's eating and growing like a weed, so I can stop worrying about him. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Any update on these, Toni?

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Any update on these, Toni?
    Hi there!

Sorry, I haven't been online for ages, so I didn't see your post till this afternoon.

I haven't had good luck with my juvies so far. I lost one to jumping out of the tank while my back was turned. I caught the larger one who jumped and he was fine, but didn't notice the cobalt till it was too late...he'd slipped behind the filter...sigh. (I had removed the cover off the tank in order to start cleaning it and walked away to run the siphon tube out the back door)

I lost a second one for no good reason that I can figure out. One day he was fine and eating well, the next day he was dead on the bottom of the tank. It makes no sense to me at all.

So that leaves me with three juvies. They are all in the "big" tank now...have been for over a month. The largest is the tefe at 5", next is the red scrib at 4.5" and last but not least is the adorable little snakeskin pigeon at just a smidge under 4.5". They are all growing like weeds and hang with the big boys without any fear.

The rest of the big tank discus are all GREAT! I have one female so far of the new 6" discus from Hans. It's the bright Fire Red. She laid eggs all by herself three days ago. No males seemed to be involved or interested in what she was doing. LOL

The largest of the 6" group is now 8" and the others are all between 6.5" and 7.5".

And then there's my old timers. They are all over 8" and healthy as horses.

Having everyone in the same tank makes my life a whole lot easier. Only one tank to change water on every day...woot!
    Toni

120g - 10

Been looking for ya Toni! You're my favorite to harass and bust your balls. Can't wait to see pics when able!
    -Elliot

Sorry to hear the bad new of your lost... Hopefully the remaining one can grow out to keep up with the rest for your monster discus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast