ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hope this can help someone

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Hope this can help someone

Im creating this thread to help new people in there quest in acquiring new discus for there tank. This is my opinion on this matter and may not be the norm or the most popular.

These are the first things you will need:
    Aging barrel (like a 55 gallon plastic brute garbage can with a lid)
    Aquarium heater
    Air-pump (strong one to agitate the water)
    Prime or safe (to treat the water for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia) for tap water
    Carbon and sediment filter for well water or Tap
    Test kit (to test PH, ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite)

Ok the first thing you want to do is set up your aging barrel. Preferably near your tank as this is the water you will be using for your water changes. Fill the barrel up with tap water and put your heater and air stones in the barrel and turn everything on. Pay close attention to the air-stone and make sure the bubbles are moving rapidly and agitating the water in the tank. Put the thermostat of the heater one degree warmer than you keep you tank at preferably between 82-84. Ok next lets test the water supply take your test kit out and test for PH and ammonia. After doing you tests record the findings and remember them. ok the next thing you want to do is add prime or safe to the barrel. Let sit for 24 hours and retest the PH and ammonia. now if you didn't get an ammonia reading before you might get an ammonia reading because you added prime or safe to the barrel. If after 24 hours you don't get a PH change then thats great you live in one of the rare places that you don't get a PH change. But still age your water and consider purchasing a carbon and sediment filter to clean the water further.

Ok so we have our aging barel taken care of lets move on to an aquarium. If the aquarium is new than just spray the aquarium down with a 5% bleach solution to one liter of water in a spray bottle, rinse well and let are dry. Because most aquariums are purchased in pet stores your spraying your aquarium down with the bleach solution to get rid of any nasties in the tank. If your going to start a bare bottom tank (which is what I recommend when starting out) you will need to paint the outside bottom of the tank. You can get latex paint and use sponge rollers to get this job done it will take several coats to complete the job. One step further which will make the discus feel more comfortable is to paint the sides and back of the tank at the same time as to create a cubby which will make them feel very comfortable in the long run. Try and choose lighter colors for the backgrounds of the tank as pigeon strains won't pepper as much.

After the above is completed than lets fill the water from your aging barrel into your tank and refill the aging barrel with water and repeat the steps above. place your two heaters in the tank and set them for the desired temperature. put an air stone in the tank and turn it on to a nice even flow. place your sponge filter in the opposite end of the tank and turn it on. place a hang on filter on the back of the aquarium with bio rings, sponge and chemi-pure. Also make sure you have a pre filter on the hang on intake.

Now that you have your aquarium set up its time for cycling your tank and getting some fish. In the past you would need to wait six to eight weeks using ammonia additives or less expensive fish to balance out the tank. But we have entered a new era and there are ways to complete this process without adding ammonia or fish that might carry disease. the product I prefer is Frits 7 turbo start for freshwater fish. Because you will have a bare-bottom tank you will need to pour the recommend dose in the hang-on filter as well as on the sponge. You can also get some Pure Aquarium balls to help this process (recommended). Know we are ready to add some Discus.

When choosing Discus stay with one source to begin with whether you choose a Pet Store, Sponsor, Breeder what ever just stay with one source to start with. DONT MIX THE SOURCES. You will want a minimum of six to eight fish to start with. they do much better in numbers.

The next day you will look at the aquarium and it might appear cloudy great the process is working. Perform your first water change. Change at least 70 to 80% of the water wiping down the sides and cleaning the pre filter. redose the Fritz and repeat this process daily for a minimum of two weeks then you can start your normal water change routine.

Minimum 55 gallon tank
    Air-pump
    Air stone
    Sponge filter
    Hang on the back filter (like an aqua-clear 70)
    Heater (capable of reaching higher temperatures preferably two)
    Lid for the tank
    Aquarium Light
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Christopher G

Default Re: Hope this can help someone

Great info Josie
    Those that are starting out for the first time should definitely read this to get started.
    I know adding FTBS 700 to hob media will ensure the bacteria attach to media and won't be damaged by the impeller.
    When you say add FTBS 700 to sponge, do you pull sponge out of the water and add bacteria on the sponge part of the filter.

Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Great info Josie
    Those that are starting out for the first time should definitely read this to get started.
    I know adding FTBS 700 to hob media will ensure the bacteria attach to media and won't be damaged by the impeller.
    When you say add FTBS 700 to sponge, do you pull sponge out of the water and add bacteria on the sponge part of the filter.

Thank you

Thats exactly what I do with the sponge I pull it out hold it above the tank and pour the 7 over it....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Christopher G

Thank you
    I'll do exactly that to my HOB and sponge