ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Artemiss" for fin rot

Registered Member

Default "Artemiss" for fin rot

One of my Discus came down with fin and tail rot. I have Loaches in my tank so most remedies will kill some or all of my Loaches. I do not have a tank to use as a hospital tank and I want to treat my whole tank to make sure no other fish get this fungus. My LFS, which has very knowledgeable people, suggested this product. They say it works but has to be added daily for 10 days or more. It has some conditions to work, no charcoal, no other meds, raise the temp to 86 and no ammonia so feed less food. Anyone have experiencer with this? I put it in my tank and today is day 1.
    Last edited by Elliots; 10-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Gorf

Default Re: "Artemiss" for fin rot

I have no experience with Artemiss & can't find the ingredients.

You may use Seachem Paraguard for fin-rot.

Dose daily & due to your tank inhabitants, on day 1 dose only 25% normal dose. Day 2 dose 50% normal dose. Day 3 & onwards dose regular amount. Dose until condition of fish has recovered. Daily water changes before dosing. Suggest 7-14 days treatment.

Leave temp the same, turn off UK, remove Carbon & Purigen, feed as normal.

Registered Member

Thanks Gorf, my LFS carries Seachem products but Paraguard was not suggested. I do not know if they had it in stock or not but these guys are good, if they did not carry it they would have suggested it. I did my first days treatment last night. I will see how things are tonight when it is time for a water change and the second day. I am in NYC so it is about 10 hours for me to work and get home from now 9AM NYC time. After one day of treatment I do not expect anything to happen but since this appears to be a new product I will report what I see even if there is no change.

It its just tail and fin rot usually clean water (large daily water changes) will clear it up fast. If it is especially aggressive I would use furan2 or bifuran.
    --Don--

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Take the fish out and lay on down and apply iodine on the area with a cotton swab let that stand for 20-30 second and then rinse the treated area. Make sure you don't get any iodine in the eyes or gills. After the rinse then return the fish to the water. Might have to do a couple of applications but this way you're not affecting any of the other fish.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

Don, thanks but I cannot do large water changes at this time. I have a small apartment and no room to age water and currently there is too much pH difference between my tap water and my tank so I do about 20% daily if I can. I would try large water changes if I could. My tank is 150 gallons. The fungus is now cottony looking, I have never had it like that I think.
    Brandon, the fungus is now cottony. I did wonder myself if I could take the fish out and remove the fungus as best as possible with my hand or possibly a scissor. I did not think of using iodine.
    I will update in about 6 hours when I get home

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Don, thanks but I cannot do large water changes at this time. I have a small apartment and no room to age water and currently there is too much pH difference between my tap water and my tank so I do about 20% daily if I can. I would try large water changes if I could. My tank is 150 gallons. The fungus is now cottony looking, I have never had it like that I think.
    Brandon, the fungus is now cottony. I did wonder myself if I could take the fish out and remove the fungus as best as possible with my hand or possibly a scissor. I did not think of using iodine.
    I will update in about 6 hours when I get home
    It will come right off just wipe with gently with a cotton swab or paper towel before applying
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

Brandon, if I do not use iodine just just wiping off the fungus help?

Registered Member

The medication has been in my tank for about 24 hours. I would say the fish is a little worse. I did not expect the medication to work in one day. I will report again tomorrow.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I doubt that it would stop the fungus but make it look not a gross. It would continue to eat the fin but just wouldn't have a huge fungus spot
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

Thats like bandaging a wound and not cleaning it first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

The manufacturers website for Artemiss is www.microbelift.com if anyone is interested. They also have some Discus specific products I have not seen for sale in a LFS but I have not really looked hard.
    Last edited by Elliots; 10-23-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Registered Member

After 2 days of treatment the fish is looking better but not yet well. Artemiss says on the label it is herbal and also promotes healing. It is made in the USA.

Registered Member

My fish had fin fungus that turned cottony. It is now 5 days of treatment of the 10 days recommended. The fish is much better. The cottony part is gone as is most of the fungus. It now looks like a healing wound. Unfortunately at the conclusion of treatment, if it is successful, I will not be able to compare this med to other meds for fungus because I have had little experience with other meds.

Registered Member

13 days. Fish is cured or almost completely cured. He does not appear to have anymore fungus but he has several denuded spines in his dorsal him. I had denuded spines before in a different fish after a much milder fungus condition and eventually they were covered by tissue and looked like the rest of the dorsal fin. Since this medication is non-toxic and I have a 150 gal tank I needed more than one bottle of medication. I will continue treatment until I finish the second bottle. The cost of the medication from my expensive LFS was about $20 per bottle. I did not look for an internet price as I needed the med immediately. It worked, was non-toxic. I cannot compare how this medication works vs. other meds as I never had a fungus infection this bad before. I would highly recommend this med as the bottle claims it also treats several other conditions on the label.
    The manufacturer is Ecological Laboratories, Cape Coral, Fla. Their web site is www.microbelift.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast