AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BEST TANK MATE FOR DISCUS

Registered Member

Default Re: BEST TANK MATE FOR DISCUS

I agree that rams are great tank mate. I'd like to add that I'm not too pleased with the congo tetras as tank mates. They are far too aggressive when it comes to feeding and out compete discus ime.

I agree with all the others, hmmm...Rummy Nose I should try them. As maintenance workers to keep the bottom of the tank clean I've always kept Brochis catfish. I think the commonly found ones are the Britski type, also sold as Green Catfish, but I occasionally find the BIG ones, which I think may be Radiatus.

These are excellent worker fish to help keep the tank clean and place no demand on the Discus. They live for many years and tolerate all the conditions that the Discus do well in. In good condition, they are very attractive in their own right with their segmented armor radiating a nice green color. They do well in groups and I can keep as many as 6-10 in a moderately sized tank.

Be careful when netting them as their dorsal, and especially pectoral fins, are very sharp and spiky and usually get snared in any type of net other than the very tightly woven white brine shrimp nets. Untangling them can be difficult and sometimes fatal to the fish. I've accidentally pulled their pectorals and caused fatalities. Better to use the very long handle brine shrimp nets that are also good for reaching the bottom of a high tank for maintenance. Outside of that they are great and generally sell for about $5-$6 each.
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 06-10-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Banned
    Real Name
    Michael

I got neon tetras and 2 apple snails... apple snails dont bug my discus and discus dont bother them and they keep my pool pump sand clean in my tank...

Registered Member

I have cardinal / rummynose tetras, hatchet fishes, I love seeing a school of small tetras swim and school around the large discus fishes.

Brochis Cats (all types), any type of small aneus types, Cory Sterbais, Farlowellas (algae eaters), Cardinal Tetras (they can take the heat while Neons can't), Rams, Clown Plecos (but not Gibbiceps, they will attack Discus to feed on their their slime coat). I've kept Angels with Discus though most don't recommend it, in my experience they get along fine.

EVERYTHING needs to be quarantined for at least two weeks, or longer, before being put into the tank. I've wiped out entire tanks doing it the wrong way! Now I will NEVER add anything without quarantining first.

And I forgot Bushy Nose Plecos. Also good algae eaters.

Default BEST TANK MATE FOR DISCUS

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Farlowellas (algae eaters)

In my experience, farlowellas suck on the slime coat of the discus. I was keeping 2 royal farlowellas with discus and one latched on to my biggest fish and started sucking the slime, I ended up getting rid of the farlowellas. Just my experience.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234